Thursday, May 30, 2019

Excerpts on Kristina from one of Whitelocke's letters, dated January 13, 1653

The following excerpts from a letter dated January 13, 1653 written by Ambassador Bulstrode Whitelocke, focusing on Kristina.

Source:


The excerpts:

1. Wednesday last I waited on the queene, with whome I was alone above two howers. She is pleased to allow me to sitt, which she doth not use to afforde to other embassadours; and discourses in great freedome with me. She was pleased to tell me, that she received great satisfaction from me concerning our affayres, relating to ourselfes, to Holland, and to other states. She sayd, she intended to take a journey for about eight dayes; and in the meane tyme, that my busines might not be delayed, she had appointed her chauncellor to conferre with me: and bicause I was a straunger to him, she would tell me his temper; which she did, and said, that if we did not agree, it must come to her agayne; for which great favour and testimony of her good inclination, I thanked her majesty.

2. This morning came the newes from England hither, whereof there was much discourse, especially with the Dutch and Scotch. I presently sent to the queene to desire an audience, to see how she would treat me. Before my messenger returned, count Tot came to me: he is the first gentleman of her bedde-chamber, and great captaine of her guards, and in much favour with her. He told me, that the queene had sent him to me to congratulate the accession of honnour to my generall, and of happines to my countrey; for which her joy was so great, that she could not omitt the sending to me expresse it. I returned my thankes to her majesty, for the continuance of her respects to my generall, and to my countrey. After this the master of the ceremonyes brought the queene's coaches about three a clocke, and carryed me to the courte, where the queene sent for me into her bedde-chamber, which she had not done att any time before. She told me the newes with much joy, and said, Boneale and divers others wrote it from London; and asked, if I had my letters: I sayd noe; butt by other letters I had reason to beleeve the newes, and to expect her majesty's inclination thereuppon towards me. She sayd, par Dieu, she bore the same respect and more, to my generall, and to me, than she did before; that she had rather have to doe with one man than with many. She told me, she doubted my letters might be intercepted; and therefore if I would att any time send any in her packett, her secretary should take care of them; and she would promise me, that they should not be medled with. After I was come home, she sent one of her secretaryes to me with the same messauge; and whilest he was with me, my joyfull letters came, which in parte I communicated to the secretary, and told him, that I desired to waite uppon the queene agayne, when her leisure would permitt. He went presently to the castle, and brought me word from the queene, that she desired I would come to her this night; which I did, though very late: and although I had before received those testimonyes before-mentioned of her good liking of this newes: yett before I would deliver your highnes letters to her, I discoursed in the generall of the buisnes; and she being very pleasant, I told [her] that in case my lord protector should write unto her majesty, I presumed his highnes letters would have a good reception from her. She answeared, that they should be most wellcome to her. Whereupon I presented my credentialls to her; and after she had read them, she asked me, how it came, that my lord protector's name was putt first in the letter? I answeared, that it was the constant forme in England used to all other princes and states. She sayd, that if it was used to other princes and states, she was satisfyed. I told her, that my lord's name signed himselfe was subscribed; and she was verie well pleased, giving me her hand to kisse. She told me, that she would write herselfe to my lord protector, and desired me in my letters to acquaint your highnes than she had; which she would be readie to manifest, and was verie joyfull of this good newes from England.



Above: Kristina, year 1650.



Above: Bulstrode Whitelocke, year 1650. Image courtesy of National Portrait Gallery via Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment