Thursday, May 30, 2019

Whitelocke's letter on Kristina, dated January 13, 1654

Whitelocke wrote this letter to his secretary Thurloe, on January 13, 1654.

Source:


Transcript (fixed the year typo):

Sir,
I returne my very hearty thankes for your last letters of 23d December, and for all your former letters. ... The Dutch and Scotts heere beganne to talke of high distractions and confusions in England; butt as soone as my letters came, I went to courte, and silenced them all. The queene is much pleased with the newes, and hath received my credentialls from his highnesse with great expressions of contentment and respect both to him, and to the present settlement. ... I have bin twice this day with the queene, and am growne a great favorite with her; insomuch that many have desired me to promote their suits to her; but I refuse all, and meddle onlie with my owne buisnes. The rix chauncellor hath expressed great and extraordinary kindnes to me, not onlie to my selfe, butt to many others. We shall grow great linguists heere by continuall speaking of French and Lattin; which is not to be avoyded, whensoever we meet with those heere. The rix chauncellor speakes good Lattin, and the queene only the French. She will not permitt to have any other present, but discourses with me alone, saying, that she understands me when I speake French, as well as if I spake Swedish; and indeed she is extreame civill and courteous to me. ...
Upsall, Jan. 13. 1654. ...



Above: Kristina, year 1650.



Above: Bulstrode Whitelocke, year 1650. Image courtesy of National Portrait Gallery via Wikimedia Commons.



Above: Axel Oxenstierna, the Chancellor of the Realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment