Monday, May 2, 2022

Excerpt from Kristina's letter to Galleazzo Marescotti, the Nuncio of Poland, dated August 31, 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 356, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter excerpt (in French translation from Italian):

... Quoique je n'entende pas préjudicier par-là à la Négociation en question, néanmoins, pour plus d'une raison, même par égard à mes intérêts en Suède, il ne me convient pas que je m'arrête plus long-tems à Hambourg. Cependant je desire que vous ne fassiez mention de moi, au moins jusqu'à ce que j'aye passé les Etats du Duc de Neubourg, que je ne saurois éviter de traverser. Je n'oublierai pourtant pas de vous avertir de main en main de mes résolutions; m'attendant de-même, tous les Ordinaires, à de vos nouvelles, & jugeant au-reste que le Pére Prieur me viendra trouver pour me faire rapport de bouche des choses que vous trouverez bon de lui confier. Je vous prie de le prévenir là-dessus.

Swedish translation (my own):

... Även om jag härmed inte menar att påverka den aktuella förhandlingen, passar det mig likväl av mer än ett skäl, även av hänsyn till mina intressen i Sverige, inte att stanna längre i Hamburg. Jag skulle dock vilja att Ni inte nämner mig, åtminstone förrän jag har passerat hertigen av Neuburgs stater, som jag inte kan undgå att gå igenom. Jag skall dock inte glömma att informera Er från hand till hand om mina beslut; förväntar mig likaså, alla vanliga, att höra från Er, och dessutom döma att Fadern Prior kommer till mig för att meddela mig muntligen om det som Ni finner lämpligt att anförtro åt honom. Vänligen meddela honom om detta.

English translation (my own):

... Although I do not mean by this to prejudice the negotiation in question, nevertheless, for more than one reason, even out of consideration for my interests in Sweden, it does not suit me to stay any longer in Hamburg. However, I would like you to make no mention of me, at least until I have passed the states of the Duke of Neuburg, which I cannot avoid going through. I shall not, however, forget to inform you from hand to hand of my resolutions; expecting me likewise, all the ordinaries, to hear from you, and judging, moreover, that the Father Prior will come to me to report to me by mouth on the things that you will see fit to entrust to him. Please let him know about this.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Cardinal Galleazzo Marescotti.

No comments:

Post a Comment