Sunday, June 21, 2020

Kristina's letter to Count Palatine Johan Kasimir, dated February 25, 1639

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 4, Johan Arckenholtz, 1760, page 202


Kristina wrote this letter to her/his/their uncle, Count Palatine Johan Kasimir, to condole him on the death of his wife and Kristina's aunt, Princess Katarina, who had died in December 1638.

The letter:

Westerås 25. Febr. 1639.
Hochgeborner Fürst, Hochgëehrter hertzlieber Vetter,
Ew. Liebd. schreiben habe ich mit freuden bekommen, woraus vernehme Ew. L. gesundheit. Ich molestire Ew. L. gewiss all zu oft: jedoch habe ich nicht können unterlassen Ew. L. mit diesem meinen schreiben zu erkennen geben, dass ob ich schon weit von E. L. jetzo bin, so soll doch allezeit bey E. L. mein hertz seyn. Hoffe auch dass ich es nicht allein mit Worten, sondern auch mit Werken, mit der zeit, wills Gott, spüren lassen, und der treu und liebe, so meine, nunmehr in Gott ruhende, hertzliebe Base, an mir in ihr Tod bewiesen hat, an Ew. L. und euren vielgeliebten kindern will spüren lassen, und in der that verhoffe beweisen, dass ich diejenige bin, die Ew. L. beide um Ew. L. eigener tugenden halber, so wohl auch um meiner, nunmehr in Ruhe der Seeligen hochlöblicher gedächtnis lieber Basen willen, liebe und ehre. Ich kan Ew. L. nicht genugsam die grose treu und dienste vergelten, so Ew. L. seelige in Gott ruhende hertzliebe Gemahlin mir bewiesen hat, als eine rechte Vater-Schwester: nicht dass ich sage allein Vater-Schwester, sondern als eine natürliche Mutter. Derenthalber erbiete ich mich auf das höchste gegen Ew. L. sammt Ew. L. hertzvielgeliebte Kinder, und so viel mir möglich Ew. L. wiederum nicht zu vergessen.

Ew. L. schreiben mir dass H. C. in vierzehn tage nicht hat das fieber gehaht, welches mir von hertzen lieb ist. Gott erhalte ihn ferner in dieser betrübten gelegenheit, und dernach dem Vaterlande zum beistand. Ich vernehme auch aus Ew. L. schreiben, dass Ew. L. gerne wollen ihn bald zu sich kommen lassen, welches mir deucht ein guter rath zu seyn, dieweil mir gewisslich deucht, dass wir cum Rege Dano bellum gessuri sumus: welches wo es geschiehet, so wird es sicherlich gefahr seyn, dass er den so bald herkommen kan.

Der Hofmeister und Meister Benedictus Baaz haben eine reine controversia zusammen. Ich glaube nicht dass es etwas auf sich haben soll; doch kan es besser compescirt werden, wenn Ew. L. selber gegenwärtig seyn. Ich molestire Ew. L. all zu oft und will Ew. L. Gott dem allmächtigen befehlen. Ich versichere Ew. L. dass ich bin und allezeit bleibe, wie ich gewesen bin
Ew. Liebd.
Getreue Baas im todt
Christina Regina Sueciæ.

English translation (my own):

Västerås, February 25, 1639.
Well-Born Prince, Highly Honoured beloved Cousin,
I was delighted to receive Your Lovingness's letter, from which I presume Your Lovingness's health. I certainly do bother Your Lovingness too often; however, I could not refrain from showing Your Lovingness with this my letter that I am far from Your Lovingness now, so my heart should always be with Your Lovingness. I hope also that I don't do it alone with words, but also with works, with time, God willing, and the faithfulness and love that my dearly beloved aunt, now resting in God, has shown me unto her death, I want to let Your Lovingness and your beloved children feel, and indeed I hope to prove that I am the one who both loves and honours Your Lovingness for the sake of your own virtues, as well as for my sake, now in the calm of spiritual, highly praiseworthy memory. I cannot give Your Lovingness enough to reward the great loyalty and service that Your Lovingness has proved to me a dearly beloved wife, resting in God, as a true aunt; not that I only say aunt, but as a natural mother. Therefore I offer myself in the highest to Your Lovingness and Your Lovingness's dearly beloved children, and not to forget Your Lovingness as much as possible.

Your Lovingness writes to me that Duke Karl has not had the fever in fourteen days, which is dear to my heart. God preserve him too in this depressing situation, and thus to assist the Fatherland. I also suppose from Your Lovingness's letter that Your Lovingness would like to let him come here soon, which seems to me to be a good advice, while I surely think that we are waging war with the King of Denmark; whichever happens, it will certainly be a risk that he can come here soon.

The Court Steward and Master Benedictus Baaz are having a real quarrel together. I don't think there should be anything; but it can be better made up for if Your Lovingness yourself is present. I bother Your Lovingness all too often and commend Your Lovingness to God Almighty. I assure Your Lovingness that I am and always remain as I have been
faithful to Your Lovingness unto death
Kristina, Queen of Sweden.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Johan Kasimir.


Above: Princess Katarina.

No comments:

Post a Comment