Sunday, April 11, 2021

Kristina's letter to Azzolino, dated October 6, 1666

Sources:






Kristina wrote this letter to Cardinal Decio Azzolino on October 6, 1666.

The letter, with Kristina's spellings:

Vint neuiesme lestre de Ambur le 6 ottb. 1666 —
Jl me seroit doux de Croire ce que Vous me dittes dans Vostre treissieme lestre du 11 du passe touchant le deplaisir que Vous santez du delay de mon retour mais si Vous me lavez fait autrefois a Croire cestoit sur la foix de tesmoins qui auroit abbuse de plus fins que moy. a present nos affaire son en vn estat quil faudroit estre enCore plus sotte que ie ne suis pour oser vous Croire. Rome me fait trop dhoneur de me desirer ie ne Vaux pas asse pour y estre souhaitte, mais enfin ie masseure quelle se Consolera ausi bien que Vous quant elle saura que peut estre elle ne me reverra iamais. Je ne say Comment Je vous le puis dire sen mourir. Jy suis Casi resolue mais enfin iay enCore beaucoup a Combattre et plus a Vaincre en cette resolution. Jespere pourtant den venir a bout, et Je Vous feray part de ma derniere resolution ausitost quelle sera prise.

Je ne vous ay pas parle du Compliment de Vrangel quil me fist de la part du roy quoy quil soit tel quon Vous la dit Car ie say ce que Vaut laune dune telle marchandise et nen fait pas Grandt Cas, outre que ie suis asse orguellieuse pour Croire que tout mest deue. Je pansois pour tan Vous en avoir parle mais puisque cela nest pas Je Vous demande pardon de ma negligence.

Adamy part demain pour la Suede et cest tout ce que ie puis Vous repondre au reste de Vostre lestre nous avons trouve ycy un homme qui Veut prendre touts mes biens de pommeranie en ferme, et Cela ce Conclura au plus tost voila tout ce que je say.

Joubliois de vous dire par ma derniere que Vous avez fait celon Vostre prudence en faisant faire le discours a lAmbassadeur de france que le Cardl. Rez luy a fait. tout ce que Vous faittes est admirablement immagine et Vous ne pouvez que mobliger tousiour par Vostre prudence et Vostre Conduitte admirable.

Je Commence a esperer quon fera enCore cette anne ou du moins ce printemps vne diette en Suede Car Je Crois que les affaires dAlemange les y forceront, quoy que ie sois dopinion quon la differera iusques a mon depart et iay fait Courir le bruit expres en Suede et icy que ie ny Veux plus aller a fin de leur faciliter la resolution de convoquer la diette.

Je uous envoy la lestre de reponse que iay fait au Roy sur lestrange propositions quon ma fait de sa part Je lay escrit en francois par ce quJl ny a que moy qui puisse repondre a cette lestre et pour la rendre intelligible a Vous et aux austre nations en Cas de besoin outre quil me seroit impossible de le faire en suedois ny dexpliquer en daustre lange mes sentiments avec cette force que iay en francois et quoy que iescrive tres mal en francois Cet neamoins la seule lange que ie says escrire passablement bien pour en faire vn lestre supportable Vous la trouverez peut estre vn peu trop espanolle ou Gascone, mais Jay Creu ne pouvoir en Cette Occasion tesmoinger moins de fierete ny plus de moderation avec honneur. Je seray fort satisfaitte et de ma lestre et de moy si elle a le bien de Vous plaire.

le petit roy a panse mourir dune violante maladie on la tenu for segrette cette maladie for segrette mais Jl est Certani quil a este en danger et ie le sais dune tres bonne et segrette part, mais se sont de ces nouvelles que Vous ne trovuerez pas dans les gacettes. On le Croit hor de danger a present et a lheure que ie Vous parle ie le tiens gery.

lon parle dun Combat naval entre larme dAgleterre et de france mais ne voiant pas gran fondement a Cette nouvelle ie ne Vous lasseure pas par le prochain Vous en sauray la verite Cepandant Ryter nest pas mort de sa bessure et Jl est en mer lon dist quil a ordre dattaquer la flotte dAngleterre dans ce ports le temps nous apprendera la Verite des tout cela lembasement de londres est enCore plus grandt quon ne la publie du commencement.

les affaires dAlemange sembroullie fort. les actes dhostiletes entre les luneburgois et les suedois sont Commences par la prohibition des Vivres que ses ducs on fait en tout leurs pay des les laisser achetter au Suedois leurs trouppes sassemble lon parle diversement de leur intention Cepandt Jl on empeche les passages par leur pay au troupes de Suede qui Venoit de pomeranie et se sont declare de ne Vouloir plus donner passage. la diette de ratisbonne a donne un decret Contre la Couronne en faveur de la Ville de Breme et lon a donne ordre aux prince de lempire et du Cercles de la secourir reellement Voyla le veritable estat de la Chose le temps nous apprendra ce que tout cela produira.

pour moy ie suis dans vn estat quil mest malaise de Vous faire Comprendre et Vous ne devez pas Vous estonner si ie ne Vous repon pas a Vos Chiffres Car Je Car Je Crois qve mon silence me fera mieux entendre et Vous Jmportvnera moins adieu.

English translation (my own):

29th letter from Hamburg, October 6, 1666 —
It would be sweet to believe that you tell me in your thirteenth letter, of the 11th of last month, touching the displeasure that you feel about the delay of my return, but if you made me believe it in the past, it was on the faith of witnesses who would have abused finer than me. Now our affairs are in such a state that we should be even more foolish than I am to dare to believe you. Rome does me too much honour to desire me. I am not worthy enough to be desired, but finally I make sure that she will console herself as well as you, when she will know that perhaps she will never see me again. I don't know how I can tell you without dying. I am almost resolved, but finally I still have a lot to fight and more to overcome in this resolution. I hope, however, to get to the end of it, and I will inform you of my latest resolution as soon as it is adopted.

I did not speak to you about Wrangel's compliment, which he made me on behalf of the king, whatever it is as you were told, because I know what is worth the yardstick of such a commodity and don't make much of it, besides being proud enough to believe that everything is due to me. I thought I told you about it, but since I did not, I beg your pardon for my negligence.

Adami is leaving for Sweden tomorrow, and that's all I can tell you about the rest of your letter. We have found here a man who wants to take all my Pomeranian goods on an estate, and this will be concluded as soon as possible. That's all I know.

I forgot to tell you in my last letter, that you did according to your prudence by having the ambassador of France make the speech that Cardinal de Retz made to him. Everything you do is beautifully imagined, and you can only oblige me always with your prudence and your admirable conduct.

I'm beginning to hope that there will be another Diet this year, or at least this spring, in Sweden, because I believe that German affairs will force them to do so, although I am of the opinion that it will be postponed until my departure; and I have made the rumour expressly, in Sweden and here, that I no longer want to go there, in order to facilitate their resolution to convene the Riksdag.

I am sending you the response letter that I made to the King on the strange proposal that was made to me from him. I wrote it in French, because it is only I who can answer this letter, and to make it intelligible to you and to the other nations in case of need; besides that it would be impossible for me to do it in Swedish, nor to explain my feelings in another language with this power that I have in French, and although I write very badly in French, it is nevertheless the only language in which I can write quite well enough to make it a bearable letter. You may find it a little too Spanish or Gascon, but I thought I could not, on this occasion, show less pride or more moderation with honour. I will be very satisfied with my letter and with me if it has the good to please you.

The little king was thought to be dying of a violent illness. This illness has been kept very secret; but it is certain that he was in danger, and I know it from a very good and secret part; but it is news that you will not find in the gazettes. He is believed to be out of danger now, and, as I speak to you, I gather he's recovered.

There is talk of a naval combat between the armies of England and France, but, not seeing great foundation for this news, I do not assure you of it. By the next letter, you will know the truth. However, Ruyter did not die from his wound, and he is at sea. It is said that he has orders to attack the fleet of England in its ports. Time will teach us the truth of all this. The conflagration in London* is even greater than what is said in what was published at the start.

German affairs are getting very mixed up. The acts of hostilities between the Luneburgers and the Swedes began with the prohibition of the supplies that these dukes made in all their country to let them buy from the Swedes. Their troops are assembling. There is various talk of their intention. However, they prevented the passages by their country to the troops of Sweden which came from Pomerania, and declared themselves not to want to give more passage. The Diet of Regensburg issued a decree against the Crown in favour of the city of Bremen, and orders were given to the princes of the Empire and the circle to actually rescue it. This is the real state of affairs. Time will tell us what all of this will do.

As for me, I am in such a state that it is difficult for me to make you understand, and you should not be surprised if I do not answer your ciphers, because I believe that my silence will make me hear better and will annoy you less. Farewell.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Cardinal Decio Azzolino.


Above: Carl Gustaf Wrangel.


Above: King Louis XIV of France.


Above: King Karl XI of Sweden.

Note: The conflagration in London = The Great Fire of London, which burned in early October 1666 and is one of the worst natural disasters in English history.

No comments:

Post a Comment