Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Kristina's letter to Charles Honoré d'Albert de Luynes, Duke of Chaulnes, dated September 19, 1666

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 274, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Le 8. Septembre 1666.
Mon Cousin, je vous rends grace d'avoir voulu me témoigner vous-même par votre Lettre, la disposition que vous avez d'être de mes amis. J'accepte vos offres avec reconnoissance, vous assurant que je suis impatiente d'être à Rome, pour pouvoir connoître un aussi honnête homme que vous; car votre réputation, répondant au choix du Roi de France Mon Frére, je suis persuadée que vous méritez toute estime, & je suis toute disposée à vous rendre justice, espérant que vous me serez témoin que je mérite l'amitié du Roi votre Maître, telle qu'elle est, par la sincére & véritable amitié que je lui marquerai dans toutes les occasions. Je prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne, Mon Cousin, en sa sainte & digne garde.

English translation (my own):

September 8, 1666.
My cousin, I thank you for having wished to testify to me yourself by your letter your disposition to be a friend of mine. I accept your offers with gratitude, assuring you that I am impatient to be in Rome, to be able to know such an honest man as you; because your reputation, responding to the choice of the King of France my brother, I am persuaded that you deserve all esteem, and I am quite ready to do you justice, hoping that you will be a witness to me that I deserve the friendship of the King your master, such as it is, by the sincere and true friendship which I will mark to him on all occasions. I pray to God that He will keep you, my cousin, in His holy and worthy protection.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Charles Honoré d'Albert de Luynes, Duke of Chaulnes.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment