Thursday, April 22, 2021

Kristina's letter to Mario Chigi after the death of Pope Alexander VII, year 1667

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 286, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

A Mon Cousin, D. Mario Chigi.
Mon Cousin, je reçois avec douleur la part que vous me donnez de la mort d'heureuse Mémoire de notre Saint Pére, le Pape Alexandre VII. puisque je m'intéresse avec vous à cette perte. Mais je tire aussi de la consolation de vos expressions en cette occasion, vous assurant que je les ai reçues avec estime, & qu'en toutes rencontres je vous témoignerai la continuation de mon amitié, & l'état que je ferai toujours de la vôtre, & cependant je prie Dieu &c.

English translation (my own):

To my cousin, Don Mario Chigi.
My cousin, I receive with sorrow the part you give me of the death of our Holy Father, Pope Alexander VII (of blessed memory), since I am interested with you in this loss. But I also draw consolation from your expressions on this occasion, assuring you that I have received them with esteem, and that in all meetings I will testify to you the continuation of my friendship and the state that I will always make of yours, and meanwhile I pray to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Mario Chigi.


Above: Pope Alexander VII.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment