Thursday, April 22, 2021

Kristina's letter to the Prior Sigismondo Chigi after the death of his uncle Pope Alexander VII, dated possibly June 29, 1667

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 287, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Au Prieur Chigi.
J'ai reçu la nouvelle que vous m'avez donné de la mort de notre Saint Pére le Pape Alexandre VII. avec un sensible regret, ce que vous pouvez croire par l'amitié que j'ai pour toute votre Maison, vous assurant de sa continuation, puisque vous m'y obligez par les expressions dont vous avez accompagné cet office; & cependant je prie Dieu qu'il vous donne les consolations que je vous souhaite, & qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde.

English translation (my own):

To the Prior Chigi.
I received the news that you gave me of the death of our Holy Father, Pope Alexander VII, with great regret, which you can believe by the friendship I have for your whole House, assuring you of its continuation, since you oblige me to do so by the expressions with which you have accompanied this office; and in the meantime I pray to God that He may give you the consolations that I wish you, and that He may keep you in His holy protection.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Sigismondo Chigi.


Above: Pope Alexander VII.

No comments:

Post a Comment