Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Kristina's letter to Agostino Chigi, Prince Farnese and Maria Virginia Borghese after the death of Pope Alexander VII, dated June 21, 1667

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 285, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Hambourg, le 21. Juin 1667. Au Prince & à la Princesse Farnése.
Je suis si sensible à l'affliction qui vous est arrivée par la mort d'heureuse mémoire de notre Saint Pére le Pape Alexandre VII. dont vous m'avez fait part, que je n'ai point d'autre consolation à vous donner que celle d'en partager vivement la douleur, & de vous assurer de l'estime avec laquelle j'ai reçu en cette occasion les marques de votre amitié. Je tâcherai de vous témoigner la continuation de la mienne dans les rencontres qui se présenteront, & cependant je prie Dieu &c.

Je vous remercie du soin que vous avez eu de me témoigner votre affection en me faisant part de la mort du Saint Pére le Pape Alexandre VII; & comme je suis même intéressée en cette perte, vous devez être persuadée du ressentiment qui m'en demeure. C'est vous assurer que si vous avez de l'affection pour moi, je n'en ai pas moins pour vous, dont je vous donnerai aussi des preuves par des effets dans les occasions, & je prie Dieu qu'il vous console & qu'il vous conserve.

English translation (my own):

Hamburg, June 21, 1667. To the Prince and Princess Farnese.
I am so sensitive to the affliction which has befallen you by the death of our Holy Father Pope Alexander VII (of blessed memory) of which you have informed me that I have no other consolation to give you than to share the pain warmly, and to assure you of the esteem with which I have received on this occasion the marks of your friendship. I will try to testify to you the continuation of mine in the meetings that will arise, and in the meantime I pray to God, etc.

I thank you for the care you have taken to show me your affection by informing me of the death of the Holy Father Pope Alexander VII, and as I am interested the same in this loss, you must be convinced of the feeling that remains with me. It is to assure you that if you have affection for me, I have none the less for you, of which I will also give you proof by effects on the occasions, and I pray God that He may console you and that He may keep you.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Pope Alexander VII.


Above: Agostino Chigi, Prince Farnese.


Above: Maria Virginia Borghese.

No comments:

Post a Comment