Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Kristina's letter to the Count Jacques II d'Alibert after the death of Pope Alexander VII, year 1667

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 284, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Je suis très-contente de vos nouvelles, ne manquez pas de m'en donner tous les ordinaires. Pour les secrets du Marquis Muti, je n'en ai jamais fait grand cas, & j'ai toujours cru qu'on ne lui avoit proposé que des chiméres. Néanmoins ne laissez pas de lui témoigner que je lui suis obligée de sa bonne volonté, & rendez-moi un compte exact de ce qui se passe. Au reste sachez que l'ami se trompe fort, s'il compte sur le Cardinal Acquaviva & le Cardinal Omadei. J'ai quelque pitié de ceux qui raisonnent de cette sorte, & une autre fois soyez moins empressé à donner des avis au Cardinal; car sur ma parole, il n'y a rien qui presse; néanmoins il ne faut rien négliger ici, & vous avez très-bien fait. Je loue votre zéle, & votre &c.

English translation (my own):

I am very happy to hear from you, do not fail to give me all the ordinary letters. As for the secrets of Marquis Muti, I never made much of them, and I have always believed that he had only been offered chimeras. Nevertheless, do not fail to testify to him that I am obliged to him for his good will, and give me an exact account of what is happening. Besides, know that the friend is very mistaken if he relies on Cardinal Acquaviva and Cardinal Omadei. I have some pity for those who reason of this sort, and on another occasion be less eager to give advice to the Cardinal, for on my word there is nothing pressing; nevertheless nothing should be neglected here, and you have done very well. I praise your zeal, and your etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment