Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Kristina's letter to Jeanne Marie Colbert, Duchess of Chaulnes, dated September 19, 1666

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 275, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Le 19. Septembre 1666.
Ma Cousine, je vous suis bien obligée des civilités que vous me faites dans votre Lettre, & des marques que vous m'y donnez de l'amitié & de l'affection que vous avez pour moi, en me félicitant ces bonnes Fêtes, & cette nouvelle Année. Je vous souhaitte aussi toutes les prospérités que vous méritez, vous assurant que comme je fais une estime particuliére de votre personne, aussi je suis impatiente d'être à Rome, pour vous témoigner mieux ma bienveillance, & pour avoir le plaisir de votre conversation. Cependant je vous remercie de la passion que vous me témoignez, & du zéle que vous avez de mon retour. Je le souhaitte de-même, pour vous donner de plus éclatantes marques de mon amitié, & de l'estime que je fais de votre mérite. Cependant je prie Dieu qu'il vous donne autant de bonheur & de prospérité que je vous en desire, & qu'il vous ait en sa sainte garde.

English translation (my own):

September 19, 1666.
My cousin, I am very much obliged to you for the civilities you give me in your letter, and for the marks you give me there of the friendship and affection you have for me by congratulating me on these happy holidays and this new year. I also wish you all the prosperity you deserve, assuring you that as I have a special regard for you, also I am impatient to be in Rome, to show you better my kindness, and to have the pleasure of your conversation. However, I thank you for the passion you show me, and for the zeal you have for my return. I hope so too, to give you more brilliant marks of my friendship and of the esteem I have for your merit. However, I pray to God that He will give you as much happiness and prosperity as I desire for you, and that He will have you in His holy protection.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment