Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Kristina's letter to Cardinal Flavio Chigi, the nephew of Pope Alexander VII, dated February 8, 1662

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 247, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

A di 8 Fevr. 1662.
Io Stimava che la mia assenza di costi non dovesse essere che per pochi mesimà li miei interessi di Suezia erano in tale Stato, che per lasciarli ben aggiustati è stata necessaria più lungo tempo la mia dimora in queste parti: Permettendomi però adesso il ritorno, io non lascio di rimostrar a V. E. la mia particolar confidenza con significarle che penso d'intraprenderlo nel mese d'Aprile prossimo. In questo mentre vorrei veramente haver operato cosa di rilievo in servizio della Nostra Religione in questi Paesi, conforme alla mia intenzione, della quale, & delli mezzi procurati per effetuarla. V. E. sarà forse stata ragguagliata dal Sig:r. Card: Azzolini; Mà la mia debolezza congiunta con alcuni ostacoli, de' quali mi riserbo a darle ogni più distinta notizia, quando sarò costi, fanno ch'io non possa in cosi breve tempo condurre a perfezione l'intento mio, quale s'io non conoscessi di poter promuovere anche di costi e con maggior profitto, non risolverei certo d'allontanarmi di quà sin tanto che non fosse negozio finito; Onde voglio persuadermi che la Santità sua non sia per credere mancata in me colla mia partenza la volontà d'adoperarmi per si glorioso fine, poiche la speranza ch'io tengo di prosperi successi, & il proprio debito me ne daranno sempre, ed in ogni luogo efficacissimi stimoli. Vaglia intanto all' E. V. quel ufficio anche per argomento della singolare Stima, ch'io fò della sua persona, e merito, e per invitarla ad offerirmi occasioni, ond'io possa farnela apparire espressa pure nell' opere, come desidero, e qui resto augurandole perfetissima prosperità.

French translation (by Arckenholtz):

Je croyois que mon absence de Rome ne seroit que de quelques mois; mais mes affaires de Suède étoient dans un tel état, que pour les remettre en ordre, il m'a falu rester plus long-tems dans ces quartiers. Cependant comme elles sont à present réglées au point que je puis m'en retourner, je ne saurois me dispenser d'apprendre à Votre Eminence en toute confidence, que je pense de me mettre en chemin au mois d'Avril prochain. J'aurois voulu de très-bon cœur rendre quelque service signalé dans ce Pays-ci en faveur de notre Religion, conformément à mes intentions, dont, aussi bien que des moyens procurés pour l'effectuer, Votre Eminence sera peut-être informée par M. le Cardinal Azzolini. Mais ma foiblesse, jointe à quelques obstacles (dont je me réserve de vous instruire plus particuliérement quand je serai chez vous) sont que je ne puis pas, dans un si court espace de tems, le perfectionner selon mes inclinations: & lequel, si je ne savois pas qu'il pût être poursuivi étant à Rome, également & avec plus d'avantage, je ne me resoudrois pas à m'éloigner d'ici, avant que tout cet ouvrage fût achevé. C'est en cette considération que je me flatte que Sa Sainteté ne jugera pas, qu'à cause de mon départ il y ait quelque manque de volonté de m'employer à une si glorieuse fin, dans l'espérance que j'ai que l'affaire prospérera, & que mon devoir m'aiguillonnera d'y travailler efficacement en tout tems & en tout lieu. En attendant je souhaite que cette Lettre serve à Votre Eminence ce de preuve de l'estime particuliére que je fais de sa personne & de son mérite, & pour l'inviter à me procurer des occasions où je puisse lui faire paroître en effet le desir que j'ai de lui être utile; & lui souhaitant la plus parfaite prospérité, je demeure &c.

English translation (my own):

February 8, 1662.
I thought that my absence from Rome would be only a few months, but my affairs in Sweden were in such a state that, to put them back in order, I had to stay longer in these quarters. However, as they are now settled to the point that I can turn around, I cannot dispense with telling Your Eminence in confidence that I am thinking of setting out on my way in April. I would have heartily wished to render some service signaled in this country in favour of our religion, in accordance with my intentions, of which, as well as of the means procured to carry it out, Your Eminence will perhaps be informed by Cardinal Azzolino. But my weakness, together with some obstacles (which I reserve to instruct you more particularly when I will be with you) are that I cannot, in such a short space of time, perfect it according to my inclinations, and which, if I did not know that he could be pursued while in Rome, and also with more advantage, I did not resolve myself to move away from here, before all this work was completed. It is in this consideration that I flatter myself that His Holiness will not judge that, because of my departure, there is some lack of will to employ me to such a glorious end, in the hope that I have that the affair will prosper and that my duty will spur me to work on it effectively anytime and anywhere. In the meantime, I hope that this letter will serve Your Eminence as proof of the special esteem that I have of your person and of your merit, and to invite you to provide me with occasions where I can indeed make appear to you the desire that I have to be useful to you; and, wishing you the most perfect prosperity, I remain, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Cardinal Flavio Chigi.

No comments:

Post a Comment