Thursday, March 4, 2021

Kristina's letter to Carlo Carafa della Spina, the Apostolic Nuncio of Vienna, that she/he/they has seen from the King of Denmark's letter that he has refused to assist with Catholicism in Denmark, dated January 18, 1662

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 245, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

... Je ne laisserai pas pour cela de poursuivre mes idées, me persuadant que le secours de Dieu ne me manquera pas. Je dois ajouter ici à ma derniére Lettre, que j'ai vu depuis le Baron de Goes à son passage ici. En lui parlant des intérêts de notre Religion, je n'ai pas remarqué en lui tant de zéle pour elle, mais plutôt une disposition particuliére pour son propre avantage. J'ai même pénétré, qu'il n'aggrée pas trop que j'y coopére, par l'ambition qu'il a d'en retirer seul la gloire. Cependant, quant à moi, qui ne cherche que celle de Dieu, puisque nous travaillons tous pour une même fin, je ne me soucie pas que celle du bon succès lui reste, ou à d'autres. C'est pourquoi je desirerois que vous lui témoignassiez toute sorte d'affection & courtoisie, pour l'encourager d'y cooperer, surtout qu'il lui soit permis de retourner en Danemarc: ce que je vous prie de presser comme de vous-même, en lui représentant la confiance qu'on a en lui dans cette affaire, & la gloire qui lui en reviendra: en même tems je lui ferai remarquer que je n'ai rien pu faire sans son assistance, dont je me prévaudrai toujours, quand il sera tems d'exécuter ce que j'ai dans l'esprit.

English translation (my own):

... For that I will not stop pursuing my ideas, convincing myself that the help of God will not fail me. I must add here to my last letter, that I since saw Baron de Goes on his passage here. In speaking to him about the interests of our religion, I did not notice in him so much zeal for it, but rather a peculiar disposition for his own advantage. I even penetrated that he does not agree too much that I cooperate in it by the ambition that he has to reap the glory on his own. However, as for me, who seeks only that of God, since we all work for the same end, I do not care that that of good success remains to him, or to others. That is why I would like you to show him all kind of affection and courtesy, to encourage him to cooperate, especially if he is allowed to return to Denmark, which I beg you to urge as well as to yourself, by representing to him the confidence that one has in him in this affair, and the glory which will come to him at the same time I will point out to him that I could not do anything without his assistance, of which I will always take advantage when it is time to execute what I have in mind.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Carlo Carafa della Spina, the Apostolic Nuncio of Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment