Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Kristina's letter to Duke Paolo Giordano II of Bracciano, dated July 12, 1651

Source:

Cristina di Svezia e Paolo Giordano II, duca di Bracciano in Archivio della R. Società romana di storia patria, vol. XXIX, Rome, 1906


The letter (in translation from Italian):

Monsieur mon Cousin,
Je viens de recevoir à l'instant que je vous parle un cabinet que l'on m'envoye de Hollande, la bonne beauté duquel me confirme l'opinion que m'ont donnée ceux qui m'ont voulu assurer que ce rare présent vient de votre part. Permettez, Monsieur, que je vous en remercie par la présente, vous assurant que j'estime comme je dois cette dernière marque de votre souvenir, vous priant de me conserver aussi soigneusement le bien de votre amitié comme vous me l'avez généreusement donné. Je ferai mon possible de vous obliger par ma très parfaite reconnaissance de ne regretter jamais d'avoir donné votre amitié à une personne qui vous a jusqu'ici été si inutile que moi, et encor que mon malheur ait voulu que depuis une année entière je n'aie reçue aucune nouvelle de vous, je me flatte néanmoins de cette agréable opinion qui [me] persuade que je possède quelque part en votre amitié, et j'espère que vous voudrez conserver encore le souvenir d'une personne pour laquelle vous avez témoigné autrefois quelqu'estime. S'il arrive que je me trompe dans cette opinion, je souhaite d'en être jamais désabusée en considérant le déplaisir qui me resterait après une si fâcheuse nouvelle. Quoi qu'il en soit, mon Cousin, je vous conjure d'être persuadé que vos mérites m'ont donné pour vous des sentiments d'estime dont je ne me départirai jamais, et que ce sera toujours avec beaucoup d'affection que j'embrasserai les occasions dans lesquelles je pourrais vous faire connaître les véritables effets d'une amitié sincère.

Je suis d'inclination entière plus que personne, Monsieur mon Cousin,
Votre très affectionnée Cousine et Amie
Christine.
De Stocholme le 12 Juillet 1651.

English translation (my own):

Sir my cousin,
I have just received at the moment that I speak to you a cabinet which one sends to me from Holland, the good beauty of which confirms to me the opinion given to me by those who wanted to assure me that this rare present is coming. from you. Allow me, Sir, that I thank you by the present letter, assuring you that I esteem as I owe this last mark of your remembrance, asking you to preserve to me as carefully the good of your friendship as you generously gave it to me. I will do my best to oblige you by my very perfect gratitude never to regret having given your friendship to a person who has hitherto been so useless to you as me, and yet my misfortune has meant that for a whole year I have not received any news from you, I nevertheless flatter myself with this pleasant opinion which persuades me that I have something in your friendship, and I hope that you will still wish to preserve the memory of a person for whom you once testified someone esteem. If it happens that I am mistaken in this opinion, I wish to never be disillusioned by considering the displeasure which I would remain after such unfortunate news. Be that as it may, my cousin, I beg you to be persuaded that your merits have given me feelings of esteem for you which I will never give up, and that it will always be with great affection that I will embrace the occasions when I may let you know the true effects of a sincere friendship.

I am more inclined than anyone, Sir my cousin,
Your very affectionate cousin and friend
Kristina.
Stockholm, July 12, 1651.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Paolo Giordano II, Duke of Bracciano.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment