Thursday, March 4, 2021

Kristina's letter to Carlo Bonelli, the Apostolic Nuncio of Spain, dated February 1, 1662

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 246, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Comme vous m'avez marqué dans la vôtre, qu'il n'y a nulle espérance que le Baron de Goes reviendra en Dannemarc, je vous prie de n'en faire aucune mention ultérieure. Je n'ai desiré son retour, que dans l'idée qu'il pourroit contribuer au grand but que je me suis proposé. Cependant, comme j'espére pouvoir opérer quelque chose avec l'aide de Dieu sans celle de l'Empereur, je me flatte d'autant plus de le faire aussi sans le Baron de Goes.

English translation (my own):

As you have indicated to me in your letter that there is no hope that the Baron de Goes will return to Denmark, I ask you not to make any further mention of it. I only wanted his return with the idea that he could contribute to the great goal I have set for myself. However, as I hope to be able to operate something with the help of God and without that of the Emperor, I flatter myself all the more that I do it also without Baron de Goes.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Carlo Bonelli, the Apostolic Nuncio of Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment