Thursday, March 4, 2021

Kristina's letter to Pope Alexander VII, year 1662

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, pages 239 and 241, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Alla Santità Vostra, il Cielo non può esser ordinariamente scarso di benedizzioni, e di grazie: Io contuttociò per tributo di dovuto ossequio, e per non haver meglio congiuntura di rimostrar a V. S:ta la mia infinita, ed immutabil divozione vengo in questa del Sant:mo Natale, e dell' Anno nuovo per annunziarle a V. B:e nell' uno, e nell' altro cosi singolari, come ben sono i sentimenti, co' quali io ne le bremo: Supplico humilissimamente la Santità Vostra d'una benigna riflessione alla sincerità de' medemi, mentre io con inchinarmi a baciarle li SS:mi Piedi mi rassegno,
D. V. Santità,
Hum:ma e Div:ma Figlia e Serva
C. A.

English translation (my own):

To Your Holiness, Heaven cannot ordinarily be lacking in blessings and graces. I bow as a tribute of due respect, and for not having better conjuncture to remonstrate my infinite and immutable devotion to Your Holiness, I come in this Holy Christmas, and in the New Year, to announce them to Your Beatitude in the one, and in the other so singular, as well as are the feelings with which I breathe them. I humbly beseech Your Holiness for a benign reflection on the sincerity of the same ones, whilst I, bowing to kiss your most holy feet, resign myself,
Your Holiness'
most humble and most devoted daughter and servant,
K. A.

Above: Kristina.


Above: Pope Alexander VII.

No comments:

Post a Comment