Monday, August 5, 2019

Kristina and Mademoiselle de Montpensier, year 1656

La Grande Mademoiselle, Anne-Marie-Louise d'Orléans, Duchess of Montpensier (1627-1693) was the daughter of Gaston d'Orléans and his first wife, Marie de Bourbon, Duchess of Montpensier. She was a cousin of King Louis XIV of France and his younger brother Phillipe, Duc d'Orléans. In her memoirs, she described meeting Kristina during her/his/their first visit to France in 1656 and their night out attending entertainments, detailing Kristina's eccentric behaviour.

Source:

Mémoires de Mademoiselle de Montpensier, by Anne-Marie-Louise d'Orléans, Duchesse de Montpensier, Tome III, published 1825

The anecdote:

Comme il étoit tard, je résolus de coucher à St. Cloud, et comme j'avois dîné chez Desnoyers, qui est un cabaret assez bien composé, je m'en allai coucher chez madame de Launay. J'appris que la reine de Suède étoit à Fontainebleau; je devois la trouver sur mon chemin, je dépêchai à la Cour, qui étoit alors à la Fère, pour demander si le roi trouveroit bon que je la visse; qu'il étoit de ma dignité, quoiqu'exilée, de ne pas voir une princesse étrangère sans la permission du roi. La maison de madame de Launay a une très-belle vue; il faisoit clair de lune; les comtesses de Fiesque et de Frontenac faisoient de grandes lamentations lorsqu'elles regardoient Paris; pour moi, je le regardois sans aucune envie, et comme la personne du monde la plus détachée de tout. ... J'appris que la Reine de Suède devoit partir de Fontainebleau; j'avois grande impatience que mon envoyé à la Cour fût de retour; je craignois que la reine de Suède ne partît. Il arriva dans le moment que j'en étois en peine, et me dit que le roi trouvoit bon que je visse la reine de Suède. J'envoyai à l'instant un gentilhomme à Fontainebleau lui faire compliment, et savoir où je pourrois avoir l'honneur de la voir, et aussi pour lui faire demander comment elle me traiteroit. Le comte fe Béthune, qui étoit à Chilly, me dit: "Il faut que vous disiez ce que vous désirez." Je lui répondis que je voulois une chaise à bras; il s'écria que je me moquois. Je me moquai de sa réponse, et lui dis: "Puisque je n'ai point d'ordre du roi de la manière dont je dois vivre avec elle, je ne saurois trop demander; il vaut mieux manquer de ce côté-là que de demander peu, et assurément elle n'en sera pas étonnée." ... Lorsqu'on lui demanda comme elle me traiteroit, elle répondit: "Tout comme elle voudra, quoiqu'on doive beaucoup à sa qualité, il n'y a point d'honneur que je ne veuille rendre à sa personne." On lui proposa la chaise à bras; elle n'eu fit aucune difficulté; ensuite elle demanda: "Voudra-t-elle passer devant moi?" De la manière dont j'en ai ouï parler, il est bon de le savoir, parce que si elle se trouvoit à la porte, elle ne se retireroit pas: on lui dit que je n'avois garde de le prétendre, que j'étois obligée de faire l'honneur de France. J'étois partie de Chilly. ... On m'apporta en ce lieu-là cette réponse à sept heures du soir: je m'habillai, et m'y en allai. ... Comme j'arrivai, M. de Guise ... et tous les officiers du roi qui étoient à la servir, vinrent au-devant de moi. Elle étoit dans une belle chambre à l'italienne, ... elle y alloit voir un ballet; ainsi elle étoit entourée d'un nombre infini de gens; il y avoit des bancs à l'entour de sa place, de sorte qu'elle ne pouvoit faire que deux pas pour venir au devant de moi. J'avois tant ouï parler de la manière bizarre de son habillement, que je craignois de rire lorsque je la verrois. Comme on cria gare, et qu'on me fit placer, je l'apperçus; elle me surprit, et ce ne fut pas d'une manière à me faire rire: elle avoit une jupe grise avec de la dentelle d'or et d'argent, un juste-au-corps de camelot couleur de feu, avec de la dentelle de même que la jupe, au cou un mouchoir de point de Gênes, noué avec un ruban couleur de feu, une perruque blonde et derrière un rond, comme les femmes en portent, et un chapeau avec des plumes noires qu'elle tenoit. Elle est blanche, a les yeux bleus, dans certains instans elle les a doux, et dans d'autres fort rudes, la bouche assez agréable quoique grande, les dents belles, le nez grand et aquilin; elle est fort petite, son juste-au-corps cache sa mauvaise taille: à tout prendre, elle me parut un joli petit garçon. Elle m'embrassa, et me dit: "J'ai la plus grande joie du monde d'avoir l'honneur de vous voir; je l'ai souhaité avec passion." Elle me donna la main pour passer sur le banc, et me dit: "Vous avez assez de dispositions pour sauter." Je me mis dans la chaise; il y avoit une porte par où on voyoit un enfoncement pour voir un ballet. Elle me dit: "Je vous ai attendue." Je voulois m'excuser de voir ce ballet, parce que je portois le deuil de ma sœur de Chartres, qui étoit morte il n'y avoit que quinze jours, elle me pria de demeurer, ce que je fis: ce ballet fut fort joli.

... La Reine me demanda combien j'avois de sœurs, des nouvelles de mon père, et où il étoit; elle me dit: "Il est le seul en France qui ne m'ait pas envoyé visiter." Elle me demanda de quelle maison ma belle-mère étoit, me fit plusieurs questions, et des cajoleries infinies. Elle me louoit en toute occasion; puis elle me disoit sur le sujet du ballet, auquel elle voyoit que je n'avois pas grande attention: "Quoi! après avoir été si long-temps sans en voir, vous vous en souciez si peu? Cela m'étonne fort." La comtesse de Fiesque arriva avec madame de Monglat; je les présentai à la reine de Suède, comme j'avois fait les autres dames qui étoient avec moi; elle me dit: "La comtesse de Fiesque n'est pas belle, pour avoir fait tant de bruit. Le chevalier de Gramont est-il toujours amoureux d'elle?" Quand je lui présentai M. le comte de Béthune, elle lui parla de ses manuscrits. Elle étoit bien aise de lui faire paroître qu'elle connoissoit tout le monde, et qu'elle en savoit des nouvelles. Après ce ballet, nous allâmes à la comédie; là, elle me surprit pour louer les endroits qui lui plaisoient; elle juroit Dieu, se couchoit dans sa chaise, jetoit ses jambes d'un côté et de l'autre, les passoit sur les bras de sa chaise; elle tenoit des postures que je n'ai jamais vu faire qu'à Trivelin et à Jodelet, qui sont deux bouffons, l'un italien et l'autre français. Elle répétoit les vers qui lui plaisoient; elle parla sur beaucoup de matières, et ce qu'elle dit, elle le dit assez agréablement: il lui prenoit des rêveries profondes; elle faisoit de grands soupirs, puis tout d'un coup elle revenoit comme une personne qui s'éveille en sursaut: elle est tout-à-fait extraordinaire. Après la comédie on apporta une collation de fruits, des confitures; ensuite on alla voir un feu d'artifice sur l'eau; elle me tenoit par la main à ce feu, ou il y eut des fusées qui vinrent fort près de nous; j'en eus peur; elle se moqua de moi, et me dit: "Comment! une demoiselle qui a commandé une armée, et qui a fait de si belles actions, a peur!" Je lui répondis que je n'étois brave qu'aux occasions, et que c'étoit assez pour moi. Elle parla tout bas à mademoiselle de Guise, qui lui dit: "Il faut le dire à Mademoiselle." Elle disoit que la plus grande envie qu'elle auroit au monde seroit de se trouver à une bataille, et qu'elle ne seroit point contente que cela ne lui fût arrivé; qu'elle portoit une grande envie au prince de Condé de tout ce qu'il avoit fait. Elle me dit: "C'est votre bon ami?" Je lui répondis: "Oui, madame, et mon parent très-proche. — C'est le plus grand homme du monde, dit elle: on ne lui sauroit ôter cela." Je lui répondis qu'il étoit bien heureux d'être si avantageusement dans son esprit.

Quand le feu fut fini, nous allâmes dans sa chambre. Elle me dit: "Passons plus loin; je veux vous entretenir." Elle me mena dans une petite galerie qui en est proche, et ferma la porte. Nous demeurâmes toutes deux: elle me demanda ce que c'étoit que l'affaire que j'avois à démêler avec Son Altesse Royale. Je la lui contai: elle trouva que j'avois grande raison, et lui beaucoup de tort. Elle me dit qu'elle souhaitoit le voir pour lui en parler, et qu'elle seroit bien aise de nous raccommoder; qu'il étoit injuste de m'avoir ôté des gens qui me servoient bien; qu'elle vouloit s'employer par toutes voies pour me les faire rendre, et me raccommoder à la cour et avec Son Altesse Royale; que je n'étois pas faite pour demeurer à la campagne; que j'étois née pour être reine; qu'elle souhaitoit avec passion que je la fusse de France; que c'étoit le bien et l'avantage de l'Etat; que j'étois la plus belle, et la plus aimable, et la plus grande princesse de l'Europe; que la politique vouloit cela; qu'elle en parleroit à M. le cardinal. Je la remerciai de tant d'honnêtetés qu'elle me faisoit, et de la manière obligeante dont elle parloit de moi; que pour ce dernier article, je la suppliois très-humblement de n'en point parler. Après, elle me fit des plaintes d'un gentilhomme que j'avois envoyé à Auxerre lui faire des complimens, lequel, en débauche dans une hôtellerie, avoit dit pis que pendre d'elle. Je fus fort surprise de son impertinence; je lui en fis toutes les excuses imaginables, et je lui dis que je le chasserois. Elle me répondit: "Vous ferez bien, et j'en serai bien aise." Elle me dit: "Vous savez tout le bien que je vous ai dit de M. le prince, et l'affection que j'ai toujours eue pour lui: maintenant je suis au désespoir d'avoir sujet de m'en plaindre. On m'a dit que lorsque j'étois à Bruxelles, et depuis que je suis partie, il a fait des railleries et des discours de moi les plus outrageans du monde; je me flatte que ce sont ses gens, et que ce n'est pas lui, afin de diminuer sa faute à mon égard, quoiqu'elle soit toujours assez grande d'avoir souffert que l'on m'ait déchirée, moi qui l'ai toujours estimé et honoré plus que tous les hommes du monde." Je justifiai M. le prince auprès d'elle autant qu'il me fut possible: elle me sembla être fort touchée de ce discours. On lui vint dire que la viande étoit servie; je pris congé d'elle, et m'en retournai à Petitbourg.

English translation (my own):

As it was late, I resolved to spend the night at St. Cloud, and as I had dined at Desnoyers', which is a pretty well-made tavern, I went to bed at Madame de Launay's.

I learned that the Queen of Sweden was at Fontainebleau; I had to find her on my way, and I sent to the Court, which was then at La Fere, to ask if the King would find it worth while to allow it; it was my duty, though exiled, not to see a foreign princess without the permission of the King.
Madame de Launay's house has a very fine view; it was moonlight; the Countesses of Fiesque and Frontenac made great lamentations when they looked out at Paris; for me, I looked at it without any desire, and as the most detached person from everything in the world. ...

I learned that the Queen of Sweden was to leave Fontainebleau; I had great impatience for my envoy to return to court; I feared that the Queen of Sweden would leave. It happened at the moment that I was in pain, and told me that the King thought it good that I see the Queen of Sweden.

I sent a gentleman to Fontainebleau at once to give her my compliments, and to know where I could have the honour of seeing her, and also to ask her how she would treat me. Count Béthune, who was at Chilly, said to me: "You must say what you desire."
I replied that I wanted an armchair; he exclaimed that I was making fun of him. I made fun of his answer, and said to him, "Since I have no order from the King saying that I can go see her, I cannot ask too much. It is better to miss on that side than ask little, and certainly she will not be surprised." ...

When asked how she would treat me, he replied: "Just as she will, although one owes much to her quality, there is no honor that I do not want to give back to her person." She was offered the armchair; she made no difficulty. Then she asked, "Will she take precedence over me?" In the manner in which I have heard of it, it is good to know it, because if she were at the door, she wouldn't want to go back. They said that I exacted little on this, that I was obliged to do honour to France. I left Chilly. ... The answer was brought to me at seven o'clock in the evening. I got dressed, and off I went.

As I arrived, Monsieur de Guise and all the king's officers who were to serve her, came to meet me. She was in a pretty Italian-style room, where she went to see a ballet, so she was surrounded by an infinite number of people. There were benches around her spot, so that she could only take two steps to come to meet me. I had heard so much about the strange manner of her dress, that I was afraid of laughing when I saw her. As they shouted "garé!" and had me placed, I perceived her. She did surprise me, and it was not in a way to make me laugh.

She wore a grey skirt trimmed with gold and silver lace, a fiery orange camlet justaucorps with lace on it as well as on the skirt, a lace neckerchief of point, knotted with a fiery orange ribbon, a blond wig, and a hat with black feathers that she was holding in her hands. She had a fair complexion and blue eyes. Sometimes they had a gentle expression, and in other moments, a very wild one. Her mouth is quite pleasant, although great; her teeth are beautiful, her nose is large and aquiline. She is very small, her justaucorps hides her bad figure. In all, she appeared to me as though she were a pretty little boy.

She kissed me, and said to me: "I have the greatest joy in the world to have the honour of seeing you, I have wished for it passionately."

She put her hand on the bench, and said, "You may sit down."

I sat down in the chair. There was a door through which we could see the ballet being performed.

She said to me, "I've been waiting for you."

I wished to apologize for seeing this ballet, because I was in mourning for my sister de Chartres, who had died only a fortnight ago. She begged me to stay, which I did: this ballet was very pretty.

The queen asked me how many sisters I had, news of my father, and where he was; she said to me: "He is the only one in France who did not send me to visit." She asked me which house my mother-in-law was from, asked me several questions, and infinite cajolery. She praised me on every occasion; then she said to me on the subject of the ballet, which she saw I was not paying much attention to: "What?! After going so long without seeing one, you care so little? I'm shocked!"

The Countess de Fiesque arrived with Madame de Monglat; I presented them to the Queen of Sweden, as I had done with the other ladies who were with me. She said to me: "The Countess de Fiesque is not beautiful, for having made so much noise. Is the Chevalier de Gramont still in love with her?" When I introduced her to the Count of Bethune, she spoke to him about his manuscripts. She was glad to make it appear that she knew everybody, and that she knew all news of them.

After this ballet, we went to see the comedy; there she surprised me deeply. She praised the places that pleased her; she swore in God's name, she lay down in her chair, threw her legs to one side and the other and rested them on the arms of her chair. She held postures which I have never seen done except by Trivelin and Jodelet, who are two buffoons, one Italian and the other French. She repeated the verses that pleased her; she spoke on many subjects, and whatever she says, she says it rather pleasantly. She fell into deep reveries and uttered great sighs, then suddenly she came back like a person who awakes with a start. In all, she is quite extraordinary.

After the comedy we were brought a snack of fruits and confitures; then we went to see a fireworks display on the water. She held my hand at this fire, or there were rockets which came very near us; I was afraid of it. She laughed at me, and said to me: "How is it that a young lady who has been in command of an army, and who has done such good deeds, is afraid?" I replied that I was brave only on some occasions, and that it was enough for me.

She spoke quietly to Mademoiselle de Guise, who said to her, "You must tell Mademoiselle." She said that she had the greatest desire in the world to be at a battle, and that she was not happy that it had not happened to her, and that she was very fond of the Prince de Condé for all that he had done. She asked me, "Is he your good friend?"

I replied, "Yes, Madame, and my very close relative."

"He is the greatest man in the world," said she. "We should not be able to take that away."

I replied that he was very happy to be so favorably in her mind.

When the fireworks display was over, we went to her chambers. She said to me, "Let's go further, I want to talk to you."

She led me to a small gallery near it, and closed the door. We both remained.
She asked me what it was like to have the affair I had to sort out with His Royal Highness. I told her she found that I had great reason, and he was very wrong. She told me that she wished to see her so as to speak to her about it, and that she would be glad to mend us; that it was unjust to have deprived me of people who served me well; that she wished to employ herself by every means to have them returned to me, and to mend me at court and with His Royal Highness.

She told me that I was not made to stay in the countryside, that I was born to be Queen, that she wished with passion that I should be from France, that it was the good and the advantage of the state, that I was the most beautiful, the most amiable, and the greatest princess in Europe, that politics wanted that, and that she would speak about it to the Cardinal. I thanked her for all the honesty she did me, and in the obliging manner she spoke of me; that for this last article I begged her very humbly not to speak of it.

Afterwards she complained to me about the gentleman whom I had sent to Auxerre to compliment her, who, in debauchery in an inn, had said worse than to hang from her. I was very surprised at his impertinence. I made all the excuses imaginable for him, and told him that I would drive him away. She replied: "You will do well, and I will be glad of it." She said to me: "You know all the good that I have told you about Monsieur the Prince, and the affection I have always had for him. Now I am in despair at having reason to complain about him. I was told that when I was in Brussels, and since I left, he made the most outrageous taunts and speeches of me in the world. I flatter myself that these are his people, and that this is not him, in order to lessen his fault towards me, though it is always great enough to have suffered that I have been torn apart, I who have always esteemed and honoured him more than all the men of the world."

I justified the Prince to her as much as I could; she seemed to me very much touched by this speech. Then she was told that the meat was served. I took leave of her and returned to Petitbourg.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Mademoiselle de Montpensier.

No comments:

Post a Comment