Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Kristina's letter to Mademoiselle de Montpensier, year 1670 (APOCRYPHAL)

Kristina wrote this letter to Mademoiselle de Montpensier in December 1670, who had just secretly married the tiny Antoine Nompar de Caumont, the Duc (or Comte) de Lauzun, who was a favourite of King Louis XIV.

Source:

Lettres secrètes de Christine, Reine de Suède, page 110, published by the Cramer Brothers, 1761


The letter:

MA CHERE COUSINE,
De toutes les nouvelles que j'ai reçues jusqu'ici de votre pays, aucune ne m'avoit autant intéressée que celle de votre mariage.

Enfin vous l'emportez, le Roi est pour vous, tous les gens de bien avec lui. Vos ennemis de la Cour & de la ville auront un pié de nez & sécheront de colére.

Je suis ravie que vos vœux soient bientôt exaucés, & que vous puissiez aimer en pleine liberté celui qui a fait de tout temps les délices de votre vie, que vous comblez d'honneur & de richesses. Je voudrois bien vous imiter en quelque chose, pour avoir souvent l'agréable occasion de vous répéter que votre amitié augmente mes plaisirs en me racontant les vôtres. Mais mon affreuse destinée veut que je nage dans une mer d'abondance, toujours agitée, toujours courroucée, & que je ne puisse goûter de rien dans une douce tranquillité.

English translation (my own):

My dear cousin,
Of all the news I have received so far from your country, none had interested me so much as that of your marriage.

At last you carry it, the King is for you, all the good people with him. Your enemies of the Court and of the city will be mortified and will dry out with anger.

I am delighted that your wishes will soon be granted, and that you may love in full freedom the one who has always been the delight of your life, whom you shower with honour and wealth. I would like to imitate you in something, to often have the pleasant opportunity to repeat to you that your friendship increases my pleasures by telling me yours. But my frightful destiny is that I should swim in a sea of ​​abundance, always agitated, always angry, and that I cannot taste anything in a gentle tranquility.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Mademoiselle de Montpensier.


Above: The Duc/Comte de Lauzun.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment