Monday, August 5, 2019

Kristina's letter to Ebba Sparre, year 1652 (APOCRYPHAL)

This letter to Ebba is undated, but it was most likely written after Kristina accidentally fell into the sea while out on an inspection in 1652. The Admiral Herman Flemming jumped in after her/him/them and saved her/him/them.

Source:

Lettres secrètes de Christine, Reine de Suède, page 8, published by the Cramer Brothers, 1761


The letter:

MA CHERE AMIE,
Je viens d'être pêchée dans l'eau comme un poisson. Graces à l'adresse d'un Ecuyer, à ma robe flotante, & à la nacelle qui a volé à mon secours, je n'ai eu que pieds & pattes de mouillés. Je m'étois figuré que Neptune auroit porté sur les eaux ma brillante Majesté, même avec gloire & respect; mais que j'ai été trompée. Je me suis vue obligée de brasser à droite & à gauche, comme une perdue, pour me tirer d'affaire.

A quoi sert donc la royauté, ma belle Comtesse, puisque dans le danger pressant, nous sommes aussi exposés que les autres hommes?

On nous répéte sans cesse que nous sommes les divinités de la terre, devant qui tout tremble; que notre volonté seule fait notre suprême puissance, & que Dieu nous a placées sur le trône pour commander, en nous armant de son tonnerre pour anéantir les méchans.

Si tout cela étoit vrai, m'auroit-il laissé faire la culebutte, & m'auroit-il pas dû, au contraire, me faire voler sur la plaine liquide comme une hirondelle?

Pour le coup, je commence à croire que la Majesté ne donne ni vertus ni lumieres, & qu'on peut être à la fois Roi très-puissant & fort mince personnage dans la prospérité comme dans l'infortune.

Si vous aviez vu le pauvre Flemming, au sortir de l'eau, il étoit aussi for qu'une poule mouillée, & moi tremblante comme un agnelet. Pour la premiere fois que ce vieux drille m'a troussé la cotte, je lui ai sauvé la vie en remerciment, jugez à présent si cet octogénaire ne compte pas d'être immortel.

English translation (my own):

My dear friend,
I have just been caught in the water like a fish. Thanks to the address of a squire, my flowing dress, and the skiff that flew to my rescue, I had only wet feet and legs. I had imagined that Neptune would have brought to the waters my brilliant Majesty, even with glory and respect; but in that I have been deceived. I had to thrash this way and that like a lunatic to get out of danger.

What is the use of royalty, my beautiful Countess, since in urgent danger we are just as exposed as other men?

We are constantly told that we are the divinities of the earth, before whom everything trembles; that our will alone is our supreme power, and that God has placed us on the throne to command, arming us with His thunder to annihilate the wicked.

If all this were true, would he have allowed me to take a spill, and would he not have had to, on the contrary, make me fly on the liquid plain like a swallow?

For the moment, I begin to believe that the Majesty gives neither virtues nor light, and that one can be at the same time a very powerful king and still a very thin character in prosperity as in misfortune.

If you had seen poor Flemming get out of the water, he was as wet as a chicken, and I was trembling like a little lamb. For the first time, that old soldier lifted the skirt, I saved his life in thanks; now judge if this octogenarian does not intend to be immortal.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Ebba Sparre.


Above: A page from a German newspaper depicting Kristina's accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment