Sunday, June 16, 2019

Kristina's letter to Magnus de la Gardie, dated December 3, 1653

In 1653, Count Magnus de la Gardie fell out of favour with Kristina. Bourdelot had left, but Kristina now had a new favourite, Count Klaes Tott, whom she/he/they had just recently ennobled. Magnus was jealous and decided to attack Tott in a way that would make it look like an attack on himself, hoping that Kristina would come to his defense. So Magnus went to her/him/them, claiming that there was a conspiracy against him and said that two other courtiers were behind it.

But Kristina saw through him immediately, and, in a rage, scolded Magnus for daring to try to deceive her/him/them and for being ungrateful. One of the framed courtiers challenged Magnus to a duel, which he declined. Kristina was disgusted at this, and her/his/their strong sense of justice led her/him/them to banish Magnus and his family from court, believing that he had only himself to blame.

Before banishing Magnus, Kristina wrote him this letter, dated December 3, 1653.

Sources:






Christina, Queen of Sweden: The Restless Life of a European Eccentric, by Veronica Buckley

The letter:

Monsieur,
Puisque Vous desirez me voir encore une fois après la disgrace qui vous est arrivée, je suis obligée de vous dire, combien ce desir est contraire à vôtre satisfaction, & je vous écris cette lettre pour vous faire souvenir des raisons, qui m'empêchent d'y entendre, & qui vous doivent aussi persuader, que cette entrevûë est inutile à votre repos. Ce n'est pas à moi d'apporter des remèdes à vôtre malheur: c'est de vous-seul que vous devez attendre la réparation de vôtre honneur. Que pouvez-vous espérer de moi? Ou que puis-je faire, si non de vous plaindre & de vous blâmer? L'amitié que je vous ai portée m'oblige à l'un & à l'autre, & quelque indulgence que j'aïe eu pour vous, je ne puis, sans me démentir, vous pardonner le crime que vous avez commis contre vous-même. Ne croïez-pas que je sois offensée. Je vous proteste que je ne le suis point. Je suis desormais incapable d'avoir d'autres sentimens pour vous que celui de la pitié; lequel toutefois ne vous peut servir de rien, depuis-que vous vous êtes rendu inutile le sentiment de bonté que j'avois pour vous. Vous en êtes indigne par vôtre propre confession, & vous avez vous-même prononcé l'arrét de vôtre bannissement, à la vuë de plusieurs personnes de condition, qui s'y trouvèrent présentes. J'ai confirmé cet arrét, parce que je l'ai trouvé juste, & je ne suis pas si prête à m'en dédire, que l'on vous le fait accroire. Après ce que vous avez fait & souffert, osez-Vous vous montrer à moi? Vous me faites bonte quand je pense, à combien de bassesses Vous êtes déscendu: combien de soumissions vous avez faites à ceux même, à qui vous aviez tant rendu de mauvais offices. En cette malheureuse rencontre, on n'a rien vû de grand, de beau, ni de généreux dans votre conduite. Si j'étois capable de repentir, je regréterois d'avoir contracté amitié avec une ame si foible, que la vôtre: mais cette foiblesse est indigne de moi, & aiant toûjours agi selon la raison, je ne dois pas blâmer les apparences, que j'ai données aux occurrences du tems. Je les aurois gardées toute ma vie, si vôtre imprudence ne m'eut contraint de me déclarer contre Vous. L'honneur m'oblige de le faire hautement & la justice me l'ordonne. J'ai trop fait pour vous depuis neuf ans, que j'ai toûjours pris aveuglément Vôtre parti contre tous. Mais à présent que vous abandonnez vos plus chers intérêts, je suis dispensée d'en avoir soin. Vous avez vous-même publié un secrèt, que j'étois résolu de taire toute ma vie, en faisant voir, que vous étiez indigne de la fortune que vous teniez de moi. Si vous êtes résolu d'entendre des reproches, Vous pouvez venir ici. J'y consens à cette condition. Mais n'espérez pas que les larmes, ni les soumissions puissent jamais m'obliger à la moindre complaisance. La seule dont je suis capable pour vous, est celle de m'en souvenir peu, & d'en parler moins: étant résoluë de n'en parler jamais, que pour vous blâmer. C'est ce que je dois vous faire voir, que vous êtes indigne de mon estime, après une faute semblable à la vôtre. Voilà ce qui me restoit à faire pour vous. Souvenez-vous pourtant que c'est à vous-seul, à qui vous devez la disgrace qui vous est arrivée, & que je suis équitable pour vous comme je le serai toûjours pour tout le monde.
Upsal de 5 Décembre 1653.
CHRISTINE.

English translation (from source 2):

Sir,
As you express a wish to see me again after your disgrace, I am obliged to tell you how opposed this wish is to your advantage; and I write this letter to remind you of the reasons which prevent me from listening to it, and which ought to convince you, too, that the interview is useless to your repose. It is not for me to bring remedies for your misfortune: it is to yourself you must look for the reparation of your honour. What can you hope from me? or what can I do, except pity you and blame you? The friendship I had for you compels me to do both; and whatever indulgence I have had for you, I cannot, without giving myself the lie, pardon you the crime you have committed against yourself. Do not imagine I am angry with you — I assure you I am not. I am henceforth incapable of feeling any other sentiment for you than that of pity, which can do you no good, since you have yourself rendered useless the sentiments of goodwill I had for you. You are unworthy by your own confession, and you have yourself pronounced the decree of your banishment in the sight of several persons of rank who were present. I have confirmed this decree because I found it just, and I am not ready to undo it, as you are given to suppose. After what you have done and suffered, dare you show yourself to me? You make me feel ashamed when I think how many base actions you have stooped to, how often you have submitted to those whom you have so grievously injured. In this unfortunate affair, no spark of your magnanimity or generosity has appeared in your conduct. Were I capable of repenting, I should regret having ever contracted a friendship with a soul so feeble as yours; but this weakness is unworthy of me, and, having always acted as reason dictated, I ought not to blame the veil I have thrown over the course of events. I would have preserved this all my life had not your imprudence compelled me to declare myself against you. Honour compels me to do it openly, and justice forces it upon me. I have done too much for you these nine years, in that I have always blindly taken your part against all. But now that you abandon your dearest interests, I am released from all further care of them. You have yourself betrayed a secret which I had resolved to keep all my life, by showing that you were unworthy of the fortune I built for you. If you are determined to hear my reproaches, you can come to me; I consent on this condition. But do not hope that tears or submission will ever force me to yield a hair's-breadth. The only favour I can do for you is to remember you but little, and speak of you less; being determined never to mention you except to blame you. For I ought to show you that you are unworthy of my esteem after a fault like yours. That is all I had to do for you. Remember, however, that you are yourself to blame for what has occurred to your disgrace, and that I am just towards you as I always will be for all the world.
CHRISTINA.
Upsala, Dec. 5, 1653.

It is unclear what this "secret" is, although it has been suggested that Magnus might have been Kristina's secret half-brother, since Kristina's father was once in love with Magnus' mother, Ebba Brahe, although I don't believe this theory is likely.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Magnus de la Gardie.

Kristina shortly afterwards sent a copy translated into Swedish in an undated letter to Axel Oxenstierna.


The copy and explanation (based on the letter rather than the Riksarkivet site's transcript):

Mon Cousin såsom Jagh altidh har beflitat migh om at dirigera alla mina actioner efter fast raison, så har dernest altidh warit mit upsåt at efftertrachta dem hos hvar erligh man at Justificera. Hvadh medh gref Magno är passerat är E. alloreda kunnight, sa att migh allena Jgenstor att Communicera E Copiam af mit bref til honnom, dervtaf J moge dömma min procedure. Jagh astvndar inthet högre än att nå E approbation helder och at få wetta vti hvadh jagh migh kan hawa förset, at jag motte kunna hawa den satifaction af E. anten at instrueras helder at autoriseras vti denna sak. Jagh befaller E gudh.
Christina

English translation:

"My Cousin*,
As at all times I have made my greatest efforts to direct all my actions with solid reason, and I have always taken the task of being able to justify them before any reasonable man." You already know what happened to Count Magnus, and I only have to give you a copy of the letter I wrote him so that you can judge how I acted towards him. I wish nothing more than to have your approval on it, or to learn what I may have missed in order to have the satisfaction of being justified by you. On that I pray that God may have you in His holy protection.
Kristina

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals of friendships in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment