Thursday, January 21, 2021

Kristina's letter to Baron Lars Fleming, Count Christoph Delphicus zu Dohna, and Peter Julius Coyet congratulating them on the signing of the Treaty of Breda, dated August 20/30 (New Style), 1667

Sources:

Riksarkivet, page 14 in K 90; Utgångna och ingångna skrivelser; Drottning Kristina d. y. (Christina Alexandra); Svenska drottningars arkivaliesamlingar i riksarkivet; Kungliga arkiv


Bibliothèque interuniversitaire (Montpellier); Manuscrits de la reine Christine; Negoziati della regina per salire al trono di Polonia; Lettere a varii suoi ministri; Christine de Suède à Messieurs les Etats généraux de Hollande, [s. l.], [s. d.] (copy; digitisation page 196v-197r)


Christine (1626-1689 ; reine de Suède), Manuscrits de la reine Christine: Negoziati della regina per salire al trono di Polonia, : , 1601-1700.

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 2, page 117, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751



The letter:

Messieurs, Vous auez raison de croire que l'heureux succes de vostre mediation me donneroit de la ioye me connoissant interessée comme Je le suis dans la gloire, et l'interest de la Suede. Je Vous remercie de la peine, que Vous auez prise de me tesmoigner sur ce suiet vostre amitie et de l'occasion que Vous m'auez donné de Vous tesmoigner mon estime, Vous asseurant que Vos compliments ont esté receus comme le merite Vostre affection, et mon amitie de laquelle Je Vous prie de faire capital comm'estant entiérement acquise à vostre merite, priant Dieu qu'il Vous tienne en sa sainte garde. Hambourg le 30. Aoust 1667
Christine Alessandra.
/ M Santinj

With modernised spelling:

Messieurs,
Vous avez raison de croire que l'heureux succès de votre médiation me donnerait de la joie, me connaissant intéressée comme je le suis dans la gloire et l'intérêt de la Suède. Je vous remercie de la peine que vous avez prise de me témoigner sur ce sujet votre amitié et de l'occasion que vous m'avez donné de vous témoigner mon estime, vous assurant que vos compliments ont été reçus comme le mérite votre affection et mon amitié, de laquelle je vous prie de faire capital comme étant entièrement acquise à votre mérite, priant Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde. Hambourg, le 30 août 1667.
Christine Alessandra.
M. Santini.

Arckenholtz's transcript of the letter:

Messieurs, Vous avez raison de croire que l'heureux succès de votre médiation me donnera de la joïe, me connoissant intéressée comme je le suis dans la gloire & l'intérêt de la Suède. Je vous remercie de la peine que vous avez prise de me témoigner sur ce sujèt votre amitié & de l'occasion que vous m'avez donnée de vous témoigner mon estime, vous assurant que vos complimens ont été reçus comme le mérite votre affection & mon amitié sur laquelle je vous prie de faire fond comme étant entiérement acquise à votre mérite, priant Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde. Hambourg le 30. Août 1667.
CHRISTINE ALEXANDRA.
M. Santini.

English translation (my own):

Sirs,
You are right to believe that the happy success of your mediation will give me joy, knowing that I am as interested as I am in the glory and the interest of Sweden. I thank you for the trouble you have taken in showing me your friendship on this subject and for the opportunity you have given me to show you my esteem, assuring you that your compliments have been received as due your affection and my friendship on which I beg you to rely as being entirely acquired to your merit, praying to God that He will keep you in His holy protection. Hamburg, August 30, 1667.
Kristina Alexandra.
M. Santini.

Swedish translation of the original (my own):

Mina herrar,
Ni har rätt i att tro att den lyckliga framgången av Er mediation skulle ge mig glädje, i vetskapen om att jag är intresserad, som jag är, av Sveriges ära och intresse. Jag tackar Er för det besvär Ni har gjort för att visa mig Er vänskap i detta subjekt och för den möjlighet Ni har givit mig att visa Er min aktning, försäkrande Er att Era komplimanger har mottagits som Er tillgivenhet och min vänskap, som jag ber Er att göra kapital som helt förvärvat till Era förtjänster, bedjande till Gud att han har Er i sitt heliga skydd. Hamburg, den 30 augusti 1667.
Kristina Alessandra.
M. Santini.

English translation of the original (my own):

My lords,
You are right to believe that the happy success of your mediation would give me joy, knowing that I am interested, as I am, in the glory and interest of Sweden. I thank you for the trouble you have taken to show me your friendship on this subject and for the opportunity you have given me to show you my esteem, assuring you that your compliments have been received as your affection and my friendship, of which I ask you to make capital as being entirely acquired to your merit, praying to God that He have you in His holy protection. Hamburg, August 30, 1667.
Kristina Alessandra.
M. Santini.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Count Christoph Delphicus zu Dohna.


Above: Baron Lars Fleming.

No comments:

Post a Comment