Thursday, January 21, 2021

Kristina's letter to the Great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, year 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 2, page 128, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751


The letter:

Monsieur Mon Frère. C'est avec toute l'estime qui est dûë à V. A. que j'ai reçu la lettre que le Sr. Laurent Christophie de Somnitz Votre Ambassadeur m'a présentée par Votre ordre, & Vous remercie des obligeantes expressions, qu'il y a ajoutées de la part de V. A. Vous priant de croire qu'en tous tems, & en toutes occasions je ne manquerai pas de répondre à l'amitié dont Vous me donnez des marques si particulières. Je me persuade que ledit Sr. de Somnitz aura déja donné à V. A. les assurances de l'amitié & de l'estime, dont je fais profession à l'égard de Votre mérite & que je suis sincérement.
Monsieur mon Frère
Votre bonne Sœur
CHRISTINE ALEXANDRA.

English translation (my own):

Sir my Brother,
It is with all the esteem due to Your Highness that I received the letter that Sir Lorenz Christoph von Somnitz presented to me by your order, and I thank you for the kind expressions that therein are added on behalf of Your Highness, begging you to believe that at all times and on all occasions I shall not fail to respond to the friendship of which you give me such special marks. I persuade myself that the aforesaid Sir von Somnitz will have already given Your Highness the assurances of friendship and esteem, which I profess in respect of your merit and that I sincerely am,
Sir my Brother,
Your good Sister
Kristina Alexandra.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings, queens and other monarchs considered themselves siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment