Saturday, September 11, 2021

Kristina's letter to the Great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, dated October 26, 1675

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 2, page 161, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751


The letter:

Monsieur mon Frère. J'ai sçû que vous avez eu assez d'amitié pour moi pour m'accorder les Sauvegardes que mes Ministres ont demandées à V. A. pour mes Domaines dans la Poméranie. Cela m'oblige de Vous en remercier par la présente & de vous prier de continuer dans les égards, & considérations, que vous avez témoigné avoir pour moi en cette occasion. Je l'espére de votre amitié & je serai infiniment obligée à V. A. si dans la suite Vous avez en considération mes intérêts; Je vous les recommande, & vous prie d'écouter toûjours favorablement tout ce que mes Ministres vous représenteront de ma part durant mon absence, vous protestant que je vous ferai connoitre par une reconnoissance digne de moi, & de vous, que je suis,
Monsieur mon Frère
Votre bonne Sœur
CHRISTINE ALEXANDRA
L'Abbé Santini.
Rome, ce 26.
Oct. 1675.

English translation (my own):

Sir my Brother,
I have known that you have had enough friendship for me to grant me the safeguards which my ministers requested from Your Highness for my estates in Pomerania. It obliges me to thank you hereby and to ask you to continue in the regards, and the considerations, which you testified to have for me on this occasion. I hope for your friendship, and I will be infinitely obliged to Your Highness if in the future you take my interests into consideration; I recommend them to you and ask you to always listen favourably to all that my ministers will represent to you from me during my absence, protesting that I will make you known by a recognition worthy of me, and of you, that I am,
Sir my Brother,
Your good Sister,
Kristina Alexandra.
Abbot Santini.
Rome, this 26 October 1675.


Above: Kristina.


Above: The Great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings, queens and other monarchs considered themselves siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment