Monday, April 18, 2022

Kristina's letter to Claude Vaussin, Father General of the Cistercian Order, concerning Father Michał Antoni Hacki, Abbot of Kołbacz, year 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 340, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Mon Révérend Pére, la nécessité que j'ai d'une personne habile, intelligente & de bonnes mœurs pour me servir en ce Païs-ci d'Aumônier, m'a fait jetter les yeux sur le Pére Prieur de votre Ordre, lequel entre toutes ses autres qualités a le don de posséder diverses langues qui sont nécessaires en ce Païs pour pouvoir avec fruit confesser & prêcher à ceux de la Nation Françoise & Allemande qui composent l'Eglise Catholique en cette Ville. J'ai voulu l'arrêter ici lorsqu'il y a passé, mais d'autres obligations le forçoient à partir. Je n'ai pas voulu lui faire alors violence, toutefois ayant reconnu en lui beaucoup de disposition & de volonté à me servir, pourvu que vous y consentiez, j'ai voulu vous le demander pour lui par la présente, vous priant de tout mon cœur de ne me pas refuser son obédience, & de me l'envoyer aussitôt que vous aurez recu la présente; afin que je puisse la lui faire tenir sûrement, & que mon intention succéde selon les formes. Vous rendrez en cela un service très-important à Dieu & à son Eglise, & vous m'obligerez de la plus sensible maniére du monde; je ne vous ferai pas ingrate, mais j'en conserverai le souvenir pour vous en témoigner ma reconnoissance dans l'occasion. Cependant je me recommande à vos sacrifices, priant Dieu qu'il vous tienne, Mon Révérend Pére, &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Min Vördade Fader,
Behovet jag har av en skicklig, intelligent person av god karaktär för att tjäna mig som kaplan i detta land har fått mig att kasta mina ögon på Fadern Prior av Er Orden, som bland alla sina andra egenskaper har begåvningen att ha olika språk som är nödvändiga i detta land för att kunna bikta och predika fruktbart för de av den franska och tyska nationen som utgör den katolska kyrkan i den här stad. Jag ville stoppa honom när han var här, men andra skyldigheter tvingade honom att lämna. Jag ville inte göra våld mot honom då, men efter att ha erkänt ett stort sinnelag och vilja att tjäna mig, förutsatt att Ni samtycker till det, ville jag härmed be Er om honom och ber Er av hela mitt hjärta att inte vägra mig hans lydnad och att sända honom till mig så snart Ni har mottagit det här brev, så att jag kan få honom att hålla det säkert, och att min avsikt lyckas enligt formerna. Härutinnan skall Ni göra en mycket viktig tjänst åt Gud och hans Kyrka, och Ni skall förplikta mig på det mest förnuftiga sätt i världen. Jag skall inte göra Er otacksam, men jag skall behålla minnet av det för att visa Er min tacksamhet när tillfälle givas. Under tiden berömmer jag mig själv till Era uppoffringar, bedjande Gud att bevara Er, Min Vördade Fader, osv.

English translation (my own):

My Reverend Father,
The need I have for a skilful, intelligent person of good character to serve me as chaplain in this country has made me cast my eyes on the Father Prior of your Order, who, among all his other qualities, has the gift of possessing various languages ​​which are necessary in this country in order to be able to confess and preach fruitfully to those of the French and German nation who compose the Catholic Church in this city. I wanted to stop him when he was here, but other obligations forced him to leave. I did not want to do violence to him then, however having recognised in him a lot of disposition and will to serve me, provided that you consent to it, I wanted to ask you for him hereby, begging you with all my heart not to refuse me his obedience, and to send him to me as soon as you have received this present letter, so that I may make him hold it surely, and that my intention succeeds according to the forms. In this you will render a very important service to God and to His Church, and you will oblige me in the most sensible way in the world. I shall not make you ungrateful, but I shall keep the memory of it to show you my gratitude when the occasion arises. In the meantime, I commend myself to your sacrifices, praying God to keep you, My Reverend Father, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Claude Vaussin, Father General of the Cistercian Order.


Above: Father Michał Antoni Hacki, Abbot of Kołbacz.

No comments:

Post a Comment