Monday, December 11, 2023

Bulstrode Whitelocke's diary entry, dated March 28/April 7 (Old Style), 1654

Source:

A journal of the Swedish ambassy, volume 2, pages 4 to 5, by Bulstrode Whitelocke, published in 1772
The diary entry:

After the master of the ceremonies had dined with Whitelocke, and was in a good humor, he desired Whitelocke to withdraw from the rest of the strangers, and that he might speake privately with him; and, going in to the bed-chamber, the master told him, that he had heard from some that Whitelocke had expressed a discontent, and the master desired to know if any had given him offence, or if there were any thing wherin the master might doe him service.

Whitelocke said, he apprehended some occasion of discontent, in that he had attended heer neer four moneths, and had not yett obtained any answear to his proposalls: the master excused the delay, in regard of the queen's purpose of quitting the governement. Whitelocke said, he believed that occasioned much trouble to her majesty, and which gave him cause to doubt, that his frequent visits of her majesty might give her some inconvenience. He replyed, that Whitelocke's company was very agreeable to the queen, though att present she was overcharged with buisnes.

Wh. "I doe acknowledge the favours I have received from her majesty, and your civilities to me, for which I shall not be ungratefull."

Mr. "Would it not be of advantage to your buisnes to attend for the conclusion of it, untill the coronation of our new king, to be assented to by him; by which means the alliance will be more firme, then to have it done by the queen so neer her quitting of the governement?"

Wh. "I shall hardly stay so long a time as till the beginning of the raigne of your new king; nor have I any letters of credence or commission butt to the queen: and I believe that all acts, done by her before her resignation, will be held good, and perticularly this touching the friendship with England, which I suppose will be also very agreeable to his kingly highnes, and be inviolably observed by him."

Mr. "I doe not doubt butt that the new king will observe the alliance which the queen shall make with England, butt perhappes it might better be made with the new king himselfe; and although you have no letters of credence to him, yett you may write into England and have them sent to you."

Wh. "That will require more time then I have to stay in this place. I believe the new king will not be crowned yett these two or three moneths; and it will be two moneths from this time before I can receive new credentialls from England, and two or three moneths after that before I can returne home: by which account I shall be abroade yett eight moneths longer, which will be till the next winter; and that would be too long a time for me to be absent from my family and affayres in England."

Mr. "I shall speake with the queen in this buisnes, and shortly returne to you." ...

With modernised spelling:

After the Master of the Ceremonies had dined with Whitelocke and was in a good humour, he desired Whitelocke to withdraw from the rest of the strangers and that he might speak privately with him; and, going in to the bedchamber, the Master told him that he had heard from some that Whitelocke had expressed a discontent, and the Master desired to know if any had given him offense, or if there were anything wherein the Master might do him service.

Whitelocke said he apprehended some occasion of discontent, in that he had attended here near four months and had not yet obtained any answer to his proposals. The Master excused the delay, in regard of the Queen's purpose of quitting the government. Whitelocke said he believed that occasioned much trouble to Her Majesty, and which gave him cause to doubt that his frequent visits of Her Majesty might give her some inconvenience. He replied that Whitelocke's company was very agreeable to the Queen, though at present she was overcharged with business.

Whitelocke: "I do acknowledge the favours I have received from Her Majesty and your civilities to me, for which I shall not be ungrateful."

Master: "Would it not be of advantage to your business to attend for the conclusion of it until the coronation of our new King, to be assented to by him, by which means the alliance will be more firm, than to have it done by the Queen so near her quitting of the government?"

Whitelocke: "I shall hardly stay so long a time as till the beginning of the reign of your new King, nor have I any letters of credence or commission but to the Queen; and I believe that all acts done by her before her resignation will be held good, and particularly this touching the friendship with England, which I suppose will be also very agreeable to His Kingly Highness and be inviolably observed by him."

Master: "I do not doubt but that the new King will observe the alliance which the Queen shall make with England, but perhaps it might better be made with the new King himself; and although you have no letters of credence to him, yet you may write into England and have them sent to you."

Whitelocke: "That will require more time than I have to stay in this place. I believe the new King will not be crowned yet these two or three months; and it will be two months from this time before I can receive new credentials from England, and two or three months after that before I can return home, by which account I shall be abroad yet eight months longer, which will be till the next winter. And that would be too long a time for me to be absent from my family and affairs in England."

Master: "I shall speak with the Queen in this business and shortly return to you." ...

No comments:

Post a Comment