Thursday, December 28, 2023

Excerpt from Bulstrode Whitelocke's diary entry, dated April 7/17 (Old Style), 1654

Source:

A journal of the Swedish ambassy, volume 2, pages 38 to 41, by Bulstrode Whitelocke, published in 1772
Bulstr. Whitelockes Dag-Bok Öfver Dess Ambassade til Sverige, pages 516 to 521, translated by Johan Edman, 1777
The diary entry excerpt:

Whitelocke waited on the queen, and she was pleased to discourse with him to this effect:

Qu. "I am resolved to retire into Pomerland, and this summer to goe to the Spae to drinke the waters for my health."

Wh. "Give me leave, madame, to put you in mind of two things to be specially taken care of; one is the security of your own person, the other is the settling of your revenue: your majesty, being of a royall and bountifull spirit, cannot looke into such matters, so much beneath you, as expences or accounts; and if care be not taken therin, and good officers, your majesty may be disappointed and deceived."

Qu. "I thanke you for this counsell; I intend to have Monsieur Flemming with me, to take charge of my revenue; he is a discreet wise man, and fitt for that imployment, and to order the expences of my house: I believe he will neither deceive me himselfe, nor permit others to doe it, for he is faithfull to me."

Wh. "Such a servant is a jewell: I hope care is taken, that your majesty's revenue be secured in such a manner, that you shall not depend uppon the pleasure of any other for the receipt of it, butt to be in your own power as mistris of it, not as a pentioner."

Qu. "It shall be settled, according to the advice you gave me; and I thank you for it."

Wh. "Madame, I account it a happines, if in any thing I may be serviceable to your majesty. Whom doth your majesty take with you besides Monsieur Flemming of that quality?"

Qu. "I desire the company of Monsieur Woolfeldt and his lady, if they will goe with me."

Wh. "I suppose they will be very serviceable to your majesty; and I hope it will not be long, after the buisnes heer effected, before you transport yourselfe into Pomerland, lest any designes should be against your liberty; for, madame, in this age, there be few persons to be trusted."

Qu. "That's too great a trueth, and I thanke you for the caution. I could freely trust yourselfe with any of my concernements; and if you will come to me into Pomerland, you shall be as wellcome as any man living, and we will be merry togither."

Wh. "I humbly thanke your majesty for your great favour to your servant, who hath a wife and children enough to people a province in Pomerland, and I shall bring them all thither to doe your majesty service."

Qu. "If you will bring your lady and all your children and family thither, and settle yourselfe there, you shall want nothing in my power, and shall be very wellcome to me."

Wh. "I am your majesty's most humble servant; and I pray, madame, give me leave to aske your majesty, whither you judge it requisite for me to waite on the prince of Sweden, before my going out of this countrey?"

Qu. "I thinke it very fitt and necessary for you to see the prince, before you leave this country; it will be taken as a respect from the protector to him; and, if you doe not, it would be looked uppon as a neglect of him."

Wh. "I am obliged to doe all that lyes in my power to inlarge the protector's interest."

Qu. "The prince being to succeede in the crown, and in so short a time, it will be fitt to keep a fayre correspondence with him, and to show respect to him, wherof your visit will be a good testimony."

Wh. "Madame, your opinion will be a great direction to me in my affayres."

Qu. "I thinke it will be an advantage to your buines for you to speake with the prince himselfe, who will take it in good parte, and hold himselfe the more obliged to the observance of what shall be agreed uppon in your present treaty, being acquainted therwith by you that made it."

Wh. "I hope the treaty, which your majesty shall make, will be observed by any who shall succeed you; butt I acknowledge it is very advisable for me, to have some discourse with his royall highnes, to give him an account of the treaty; and I shall inquire where I may attend him."

Qu. "You must goe from hence to Stockholme, and so to Norcupen; and the castle where the prince now resides is within a league of that towne: you may have my coaches and horses to transport you, and my servants to guide you thither."

Wh. "I humbly desire your majesty to make choice of any of my coach horses or saddle horses, that may be usefull for you, and to commaund them; they are all att your majesty's service."

Qu. "I shall not make choice of any; butt if you bestow any of them uppon me, they will be very acceptable."

Wh. "I humbly acknowledge your majesty's great favour in affording a dispatch to my buisnes."

Qu. "I wish you with the protector, bicause I see you are a faithfull servant to him, and worthy to serve any prince in Christendome."

Wh. "Your majesty ever had a favour for me, and in nothing more then in my dispatch."

Qu. "I thinke it not fitt for you to be in Sweden too neer the time of the coronation of the new king; and then to goe away and not to see him, would be worse."

Wh. "I doe intend uppon your majesty's advice to salute him before my going away, and shall desire that the ships may meet me neer the place where his royall highnes is."

Qu. "I will give order for it, and will be gone myselfe not long after; if I had stayed heer, I should have bin glad of your longer stay."

Whitelocke tooke his leave of the queen...

With modernised spelling:

Whitelocke waited on the Queen, and she was pleased to discourse with him to this effect:

Queen: "I am resolved to retire into Pomerland and this summer to go to the Spa to drink the waters for my health."

Whitelocke: "Give me leave, Madame, to put you in mind of two things to be specially taken care of: one is the security of your own person, the other is the settling of your revenue. Your Majesty, being of a royal and bountiful spirit, cannot look into such matters so much beneath you as expenses or accounts; and if care be not taken therein, and good officers, Your Majesty may be disappointed and deceived."

Queen: "I thank you for this counsel; I intend to have Monsieur Fleming with me to take charge of my revenue. He is a discreet, wise man, and fit for that employment, and to order the expenses of my house. I believe he will neither deceive me himself nor permit others to do it, for he is faithful to me."

Whitelocke: "Such a servant is a jewel! I hope care is taken that Your Majesty's revenue be secured in such a manner that you shall not depend upon the pleasure of any other for the receipt of it, but to be in your own power as mistress of it, not as a pensioner."

Queen: "It shall be settled according to the advice you gave me, and I thank you for it."

Whitelocke: "Madame, I account it a happiness if in anything I may be serviceable to Your Majesty. Whom doth Your Majesty take with you, besides Monsieur Fleming, of that quality?"

Queen: "I desire the company of Monsieur Ulfeldt and his lady, if they will go with me."

Whitelocke: "I suppose they will be very serviceable to Your Majesty, and I hope it will not be long after the business here effected before you transport yourself into Pomerland, lest any designs should be against your liberty; for, Madame, in this age, there be few persons to be trusted."

Queen: "That's too great a truth, and I thank you for the caution. I could freely trust yourself with any of my concernments; and, if you will come to me into Pomerland, you shall be as welcome as any man living, and we will be merry together."

Whitelocke: "I humbly thank Your Majesty for your great favour to your servant, who hath a wife and children enough to people a province in Pomerland, and I shall bring them all thither to do Your Majesty service."

Queen: "If you will bring your lady and all your children and family thither and settle yourself there, you shall want nothing in my power, and shall be very welcome to me."

Whitelocke: "I am Your Majesty's most humble servant; and I pray, Madame, give me leave to ask Your Majesty whether you judge it requisite for me to wait on the Prince of Sweden before my going out of this country."

Queen: "I think it very fit and necessary for you to see the Prince before you leave this country. It will be taken as a respect from the Protector to him; and, if you do not, it would be looked upon as a neglect of him."
Whitelocke: "I am obliged to do all that lies in my power to enlarge the Protector's interest."

Queen: "The Prince being to succeed in the Crown, and in so short a time, it will be fit to keep a fair correspondence with him and to show respect to him, whereof your visit will be a good testimony."

Whitelocke: "Madame, your opinion will be a great direction to me in my affairs."

Queen: "I think it will be an advantage to your business for you to speak with the Prince himself, who will take it in good part and hold himself the more obliged to the observance of what shall be agreed upon in your present treaty, being acquainted therewith by you that made it."

Whitelocke: "I hope the treaty which Your Majesty shall make will be observed by any who shall succeed you, but I acknowledge it is very advisable for me to have some discourse with His Royal Highness, to give him an account of the treaty; and I shall enquire where I may attend him."

Queen: "You must go from hence to Stockholm and so to Norrköping, and the castle where the Prince now resides is within a league of that town. You may have my coaches and horses to transport you and my servants to guide you thither."

Whitelocke: "I humbly desire Your Majesty to make choice of any of my coach horses or saddle horses that may be useful for you and to command them; they are all at Your Majesty's service."

Queen: "I shall not make choice of any, but, if you bestow any of them upon me, they will be very acceptable."

Whitelocke: "I humbly acknowledge Your Majesty's great favour in affording a dispatch to my business."

Queen: "I wish you with the Protector because I see you are a faithful servant to him and worthy to serve any prince in Christendom."

Whitelocke: "Your Majesty ever had a favour for me, and in nothing more than in my dispatch."

Queen: "I think it not fit for you to be in Sweden too near the time of the coronation of the new king, and then to go away and not to see him would be worse."

Whitelocke: "I do intend upon Your Majesty's advice to salute him before my going away and shall desire that the ships may meet me near the place where His Royal Highness is."

Queen: "I will give order for it and will be gone myself not long after; if I had stayed here, I should have been glad of your longer stay."

Whitelocke took his leave of the Queen...

Approximate reconstruction of the conversation as it was in French (my own):

Christine: «Je suis résolue à me retirer en Poméranie et à aller cet été à Spa pour y boire les eaux pour ma santé.»

Whitelocke: «Permettez-moi, Madame, de vous rappeler deux choses dont vous devez spécialement prendre soin: l'une est la sécurité de votre propre personne, l'autre est le règlement de vos revenus. Votre Majesté, étant d'esprit royal et généreux, ne peut pas examiner des questions aussi indignes d'elle que les dépenses ou les comptes; et si l'on n'y prend pas garde et que de bons officiers, Votre Majesté peut être déçue et trompée.»

Christine: «Je vous remercie de ce conseil; j'ai l'intention d'avoir M. Fleming avec moi pour se charger de mes revenus. C'est un homme discret, sage, et propre à cet emploi, et à ordonner les dépenses de ma maison. Je crois qu'il ne me trompera pas lui-même et ne permettra pas aux autres de le faire, car il m'est fidèle.»

Whitelocke: «Un tel serviteur est un joyau! J'espère que l'on veillera à ce que les revenus de Votre Majesté soient garantis de telle manière que vous ne dépendiez pas du bon plaisir d'autrui pour les recevoir, mais que vous soyez en votre propre pouvoir comme la maîtresse, pas en tant que retraitée.»

Christine: «Cela sera réglé selon les conseils que vous m'avez donnés, et je vous en remercie.»

Whitelocke: «Madame, je considère que c'est un bonheur si en quoi que ce soit je peux être utile à Votre Majesté. Qui de cette qualité Votre Majesté emmène-t-elle avec elle, à part M. Fleming?»

Christine: «Je désire la compagnie de M. Ulfeldt et de sa femme, s'ils veulent bien m'accompagner.»

Whitelocke: «Je suppose qu'ils seront très utiles à Votre Majesté, et j'espère qu'il ne faudra pas longtemps après les affaires ici effectuées avant que vous ne vous transportiez en Poméranie, de peur qu'aucun dessein ne soit contre votre liberté; car, Madame, à cette époque, il y a peu de personnes à qui on peut faire confiance.»

Christine: «C'est une trop grande vérité, et je vous remercie de votre prudence. Je pourrais librement vous confier à n'importe laquelle de mes préoccupations; et, si vous venez me voir en Poméranie, vous serez aussi bienvenu que n'importe quel homme vivant, et nous y serons joyeux ensemble.»

Whitelocke: «Je remercie humblement Votre Majesté pour votre grande faveur envers votre serviteur, qui a une femme et des enfants suffisamment pour peupler une province de Poméranie, et je les amènerai tous là-bas pour rendre service à Votre Majesté.»

Christine: «Si vous y amenez votre femme, tous vos enfants et votre famille et que vous vous y installez, vous ne manquerez de rien en mon pouvoir, et vous serez le bienvenu chez moi.»

Whitelocke: «Je suis le très humble serviteur de Votre Majesté; et je vous prie, Madame, de m'autoriser à demander à Votre Majesté si vous jugez nécessaire que j'attende le prince de Suède avant de quitter ce pays.»

Christine: «Je pense qu'il est très propre et nécessaire que vous voyiez le prince avant de quitter ce pays. Cela sera considéré comme un respect de la part du protecteur envers lui; et, si vous ne le faites pas, il le considérerait comme une négligence de vous.»

Whitelocke: «Je suis obligé de faire tout ce qui est en mon pouvoir pour élargir les intérêts du protecteur.»

Christine: «Le prince devant réussir dans la Couronne, et dans si peu de temps, il conviendra d'entretenir avec lui une juste correspondance et de lui témoigner du respect, dont votre visite sera un bon témoignage.»

Whitelocke: «Madame, votre opinion sera pour moi une grande direction dans mes affaires.»

Christine: «Je pense qu'il sera avantageux pour vos affaires que vous parliez avec le prince lui-même, qui l'acceptera en bonne partie et se tiendra d'autant plus obligé à l'observance de ce qui sera convenu dans votre traité actuel, car il lui est connu ce que vous en avez pris connaissance, par vous qui l'avez fait.»

Whitelocke: «J'espère que le traité que Votre Majesté conclura sera observé par tous ceux qui vous succéderont, mais je reconnais qu'il est très conseillé pour moi d'avoir un entretien avec Son Altesse Royale, pour lui rendre compte du traité; et je demanderai où je peux le soigner.»

Christine: «Vous devez vous rendre d'ici à Stockholm et ainsi à Norrköping, et le château où réside présentement le prince est à une lieue de cette ville. Vous pouvez avoir mes carrosses et mes chevaux pour vous transporter et mes serviteurs pour vous y guider.»

Whitelocke: «Je désire humblement que Votre Majesté choisisse l'un de mes chevaux de carrosse ou chevaux de selle qui pourraient vous être utiles et les commande; ils sont tous au service de Votre Majesté.»

Christine: «Je n'en choisirai aucun, mais si vous m'en accordez, ils seront très acceptables.»

Whitelocke: «Je reconnais humblement la grande faveur de Votre Majesté en m'offrant une dépêche pour mes affaires.»

Christine: «Je souhaite que vous soyez chez le protecteur, car je vois que vous êtes un fidèle serviteur de lui et digne de servir n'importe quel prince de la chrétienté.»

Whitelocke: «Votre Majesté a toujours eu une faveur pour moi, et rien de plus que dans ma dépêche.»

Christine: «Je pense qu'il ne convient pas que vous soyez en Suède trop près du moment du couronnement du nouveau roi, et alors ce serait pire de partir sans le voir.»

Whitelocke: «J'ai l'intention, sur les conseils de Votre Majesté, de le saluer avant mon départ, et je désirerai que les navires puissent me rencontrer près de l'endroit où se trouve Son Altesse Royale.»

Christine: «Je vais en donner l'ordre et je partirai moi-même peu de temps après; si je devais rester ici, j'aurais été heureuse que vous restiez plus longtemps.»

Swedish translation of the conversation (by Edman):

Drottn. »Jag har nu beslutit at sätta mig ned i Pomern, och i denne sommar för min helsa nyttja vatnen i Spa.«

Wh. »Gif mig då lof, Madame, at påminna två omständigheter, som måtte i akt tagas, nämligen Edar egen Höga Persons säkerhet, och Edra revenuers reglerande. Edar Maj:t, som är af et Kongligt och ädelmodigt hjertelag, kan ej befatta sig med sådant besvär, som åtföljer utgifter och räkningar, och därföre måste Edar Maj:t vara betänkt på at därtil välja påliteligt folk.«

Drottn. »Tack för detta råd; och har jag til mina utgifters bestyrande valt Herr FLEMING, hvilken såsom förnuftig och hushålsaktig man, därtil är ganska skickelig; och är jag säker, at han hvarken bedrager mig, eller tillåter andra at göra det, ty han är mig ganska trogen.«

Wh. »En sådan man kan ej sättas nog värde på. Hvad Edar Maj:ts revenu angår, hoppas jag de författningar vara tagne, at dess utbetalande ej på någons välbehag ankommer, utan at Edar Maj:t, efter behag, därom kan bestyra såsom egarinna, men ej som pensionnaire

Drottn. »Detta skall bestyras efter det råd i mig lemnat, och för hvilket jag tackar Eder.«

Wh. »Madame, jag skattar mig lyckelig, om jag i något kan vara Edar Maj:t til tjenst. Hvem tager Edar Maj:t med sig, utom Monsieur FLEMING, af värdighet?«

Drottn. »Skulle ULFELD och dess Fru vilja göra sällskap, vore jag därmed rätt nögd.«

Wh. »Jag är försäkrad de anse det för sin lycka at vara Edar Maj:t til tjenst; och hoppas jag ej länge dröjer, sedan Kröningen gått förbi, innan Edar Maj:t anträder sin resa til Pomern, därest icke något försök skulle göras emot Edar Maj:ts frihet; ty i vår tid, Madame, vet man ej med säkerhet, hvilken man skall lita på.«

Drottn. »Det är sant nog, och tackar jag för Edar varning: men därom är jag försäkrad, at jag utan fara skulle kunna öfverlemna mina affairer i Edra händer; och blifver visst ingen dödelig mer välkommen än J, om J skulle hafva tilfälle at helsa på mig i Pomern, där vi skulle hafva rätt roligt tilsammans.«

Wh. »Jag tackar ödmjukast för Edar Maj:ts stora ynnest, och har jag hustru och barn nog, at bebo en hel province i Pomern, och vil jag til Edar Maj:ts tjenst öfverföra dem alla dit.«

Drottn. »Om J med Edar hustru, barn och slägt vil flytta dit, så skall J vara af hjertat välkommen, och jag skall göra alt, hvad hos mig står, til Edar tjenst och förmon.«

Wh. »Jag är Edar Maj:ts undergifnaste tjenare. Med Edar Maj:ts tilstånd tager jag mig äfven friheten at fråga, om Edar Maj:t finner nödigt, at jag skall upvakta Prinsen af Sverige innan min afresa?«

Drottn. »Jag tror det för Eder vara oundgångeligt at se honom, innan J lemnar Sverige. Han anser det som en höflighet af Protector, och tvärtom som en ohöflighet och mindre aktning för honom, om det ej skulle ske.«

Wh. »Jag är förbunden at göra alt hvad hos mig står, för at uti honom skaffa Protector en vän.«

Drottn. »Som Prinsen snart tager emot regeringen, så vore ej ur vägen at med honom underhålla en förtrolig vänskap, och visa honom all aktning, hvaraf Edart besök blifver et stort prof

Wh. »Edar Maj:ts tanka anser jag härutinnan för det påliteligaste råd.«

Drottn. »Jag tror äfven Edart ärende därigenom skulle vinna, om J sjelf ville tala vid Prinsen därom; ty han kan ej annat än uptaga det ganska väl, och finna sig så mycket mer förbunden at noga i akt taga alt, som han om det af Eder sjelf blifvit underrättad.«

Wh. »Jag hoppas det förbund Edar Maj:t behagar ingå, af alla dess efterträdare skall i akt tagas; men jag finner dock ganska nyttigt, at om denna sak tala vid Hans Kongl. Höghet, och undrar jag hvar man lägligast kunde få den lyckan.«

Drottn. »Först måste J härifrån resa til Stockholm, samt vidare til Norrköping, ifrån hvilken Stad Prinsen bor endast en mil. Mine vagnar och hästar stå Eder til tjenst, äfven som min betjening för at visa vägen.«

Wh. »Jag anhåller ödmjukast, at Edar Maj:t täckes välja några af mina vagns- och ridhästar, som kunna nyttjas til Eder Maj:ts tjenst; och skulle jag göra mig en heder af at få lemna dem allesamman.«

Drottn. »Jag väljer inga; men om J däraf skulle lemna mig några, är det en skänk, hvarpå jag sätter stort värde.«

Wh. »Jag får äfven aflägga min ödmjukaste tacksägelse för Edar Maj:ts ynnest vid mitt ärendes afslutande.«

Drottn. »Det är mig kärt, at J snart får komma hem til Protector, som uti Eder eger en trogen tjenare, värdig och skickelig at tjena hvilken Prins det hällst vore i Christenheten.«

Wh. »Edar Maj:t har altid behagat visa mig mycken ynnest, och i synnerhet vid det ärendet, som mig här ålegat.«

Drottn. »Nu tycker jag at J ej bör fara bort, utan at upvakta Konungen, då det skulle passa sig illa.«

Wh. »Efter det råd Edar Maj:t behagat at gifva, har jag tänkt innan min afresa upvakta honom, och skulle jag önska at de skepp, jag får til min transport, kunde möta mig vid nägden, där Prinsen bor.«

Drottn. »Jag skall därom gifva befallning, och dröjer ej länge sjelf efter. Komme jag ej så snart at resa, önskade jag at Edart vistande här blefve långvarigare.«

Contemporary Swedish translation of the conversation (my own):

Kristina: »Jag är fast besluten att dra mig tillbaka till Pommern och åka till Spa i sommar för att dricka vattnet där för min hälsa.«

Whitelocke: »Tillåt mig, madam, att påminna Er om två saker som Ni måste ta särskild hänsyn till: den ena är säkerheten för Er egen person, den andra är regleringen av Er inkomst. Ers Majestät, som är av en kunglig och generös anda, kan ju inte undersöka frågor så ovärdiga som utgifter eller räkenskaper; och om försiktighet inte tas och goda officerare anställs, kan Ers Majestät bli besviken och lurad.«

Kristina: »Tack för detta råd; jag tänker ha herr Fleming med mig för att ta hand om min inkomst. Han är en diskret, klok man och lämpad för det här ärende och att beställa utgifterna för mitt hushåll. Jag tror att han inte kommer att lura mig själv eller låta andra göra det, ty han är mig trogen.«

Whitelocke: »En sådan tjänare är en pärla! Jag hoppas att man ser till att Ers Majestäts inkomster är så säkrade att Ni inte är beroende av andras nöje för att ta emot dem, utan står i Er egen makt som härskarinna, inte i som pensionärska.«

Kristina: »Detta skall lösas enligt de råd Ni givit mig, och jag tackar Er för det.«

Whitelocke: »Madam, jag anser det vara en välsignelse om jag i något som helst kan vara till nytta för Ers Majestät. Vem av denna värdighet tar Ers Majestät med sig, förutom herr Fleming?«

Kristina: »Jag vill ha herr Ulfeldt och hans fru, om de vill följa med mig.«

Whitelocke: »Jag antar att de kommer att vara mycket användbara för Ers Majestät, och jag hoppas att det inte kommer att dröja länge efter det att affären här genomförts innan Ni flyttar Er till Pommern, så att inte någon plan strider mot Er frihet; ty, madam, för närvarande finns det få människor som man kan lita på.«

Kristina: »Det är alltför sannt, och jag tackar Er för Er försiktighet. Jag kunde fritt anförtro till Er om någon av mina bekymmer; och om Ni kommer för att träffa mig i Pommern, så skall Ni vara lika välkommen som alla levande människor, och vi kommer att vara glada där tillsammans.«

Whitelocke: »Jag tackar ödmjukt Ers Majestät för Er stora ynnest mot Er tjänare, som har fru och barn nog att befolka en provins i Pommern, och jag skall föra dem alla dit för att göra Ers Majestät en tjänst.«

Kristina: »Om Ni tar dit Er fru, alla Era barn och Er familj och bosätter Er där, skall Ni inte sakna något i min makt, och Ni skall vara välkommen hos mig.«

Whitelocke: »Jag är ju Ers Majestäts ödmjukast tjänare; och jag ber Er, madam, att tillåta mig att fråga Ers Majestät, om Ni anser det nödvändigt att jag uppvaktar prinsen av Sverige innan jag lämnar detta land.«

Kristina: »Jag tycker att det är mycket riktigt och nödvändigt att Ni träffar prinsen innan Ni lämnar det här landet. Detta kommer att betraktas som respekt från protektorns sida gentemot honom; och om Ni inte gör det, skulle han betrakta det som vårdslöshet från Er sida.«

Whitelocke: »Jag är skyldig att göra allt i min makt för att utvidga protektorns intressen.«

Kristina: »Eftersom prinsen skall succedera till Kronan på så kort tid, kommer det att vara lämpligt att hålla en rättvis korrespondens med honom och visa honom respekt, vilket Ert besök kommer att vara ett gott vittnesbörd om.«

Whitelocke: »Madam, Er åsikt kommer att vara en bra vägledning för mig i mina angelägenheter.«

Kristina: »Jag tror att det kommer att vara fördelaktigt för Era angelägenheter om Ni talar med prinsen själv, som kommer att acceptera det i god del och kommer att hålla sig desto mer skyldig att iaktta vad som kommer att överenskommas i Ert fördrag, för det är känt för honom vad Ni har lärt Er om det, genom Er som har gjort det.«

Whitelocke: »Jag hoppas att det fördrag som Ers Majestät sluter kommer att följas av alla dem som efterträder Er, men jag inser att det är mycket tillrådligt för mig att få en entretien med Hans Kungliga Höghet, för att ge honom en redogörelse för fördraget; och jag frågar var jag kan hantera honom.«

Kristina: »Ni måste resa härifrån till Stockholm och så till Norrköping, och slottet där prinsen nu bor är en mil från den staden. Ni kan ha mina vagnar och mina hästar för att transportera Er och mina tjänare för att vägleda Er dit.«

Whitelocke: »Jag önskar ödmjukt att Ers Majestät ville välja en av mina hästar som kan vara till nytta för Er och beställa dem; de är alla i Ers Majestäts tjänst.«

Kristina: »Jag vill inte välja några, men om Ni ger mig några kommer de att vara mycket acceptabla.«

Whitelocke: »Jag erkänner ödmjukt Ers Majestäts stora tjänst genom att erbjuda mig en utskick för min verksamhet.«

Kristina: »Jag önskar att Ni var hos protektorn, ty jag ser att Ni är en trogen tjänare till honom och värdig att tjäna vilken furste som helst av kristenheten.«

Whitelocke: »Ers Majestät har ju alltid haft en ynnest för mig, och inget annat än i mitt utskick.«

Kristina: »Jag tycker att det är olämpligt för Er att vara i Sverige för nära tiden för kröningen av den nye kungen, och då vore det värre att lämna utan att träffa honom.«

Whitelocke: »Jag avser, med Ers Majestäts råd, att hälsa honom innan min avresa, och jag kommer att önska att skeppen får möta mig nära den plats där Hans Kungliga Höghet är.«

Kristina: »Jag skall ge ordern och lämna själv kort därefter; om jag skulle stanna här hade jag varit glad om Ni stannat längre.«


Above: Kristina.


Above: Bulstrode Whitelocke.

Notes: Pomerland = Pomerania.

family = servants in a household.

No comments:

Post a Comment