Thursday, March 7, 2024

Kristina's letter to Christine of France, Duchess of Savoy, dated January 10/20 (New Style), 1655

Sources:

La regina Cristina di Svezia in Italia (1655-1689): Memorie storiche ed aneddotiche con documenti, page 364, published by Gaudenzio Claretta, 1892
"The Queen of Sweden thanks Duchess Christine of France, regent of the State of Savoy, for the gift of books."

"State Archive of Torino — Letters of the Swedish royals."

The letter:

MADAME MA SŒUR,
Je scay que mon debvoir eut esté de remercier plustôt V. A. des livres qu'elle m'a fait tenir passé déja quelque temps, mais comme l'embarras de mon voyage m'en a detourné, j'espère qu'elle aura la bonté de m'en excuser restant assurée que ce delay me fera redoubler l'obbligation que je lui en ay, et que je m'en aquisteray soigneusement des occasions pour lui en tesmoigner ma reconnaissance.
Cependant je suis, madame
Votre très affectionnée sœur et amie
CHRISTINE.
De Bruxelles, ce 20 janvier 1655.

With modernised spelling:

Madame ma Sœur,
Je sais que mon devoir eut été de remercier plutôt Votre Altesse des livres qu'elle m'a fait tenir passé déjà quelque temps, mais comme l'embarras de mon voyage m'en a détourné, j'espère qu'elle aura la bonté de m'en excuser, restant assurée que ce délai me fera redoubler l'obligation que je lui en ay, et que je m'en acquitterai soigneusement des occasions pour lui en témoigner ma reconnaissance. Cependant je suis, Madame,
votre très affectionnée Sœur et amie
Christine.
De Bruxelles, ce 20 janvier 1655.

Swedish translation (my own):

Madam min Syster,
Jag vet att min plikt skulle ha varit att tacka Ers Höghet snarare för de böcker som Ni har givit mig att behålla en tid redan, men eftersom hindret som heter min resa har distraherat mig från att göra det, hoppas jag att Ni kommer att vara vänlig nog att ursäkta mig för det, förblivande säker på att denna försening kommer att få mig att fördubbla den förpliktelse som jag har mot Er, och att jag noggrant kommer att uppfylla tillfällena för att visa Er min tacksamhet. Emellertid är jag, madam,
Er tillgivnaste Syster och vän
Kristina.
Från Bryssel, den 20 januari 1655.

English translation (my own):

Madame my Sister,
I know that my duty would have been to thank Your Highness rather for the books that you have given me to keep for some time already, but as the embarras of my journey has distracted me from doing so, I hope that you will be kind enough to excuse me for it, resting assured that this delay will make me redouble the obligation that I have to you, and that I shall carefully fulfill the occasions to show you my gratitude. In the meantime, I am, Madame,
your most affectionate Sister and friend
Kristina.
From Brussels, January 20, 1655.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Christine of France, Duchess of Savoy.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings, queens and other monarchs considered themselves siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment