Saturday, February 17, 2024

Excerpt from the postscript of Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia's letter to Sir Edward Nicholas, dated September 11/21 (New Style), 1654

Source:

Memoirs of John Evelyn, volume 2, page 200, published by William Bray, 1827
The postscript:

I pray lett me know if the Queene of Sueden did write to the King by my Lord of Norwich, and if she did it ciuilie or not. ...

With modernised spelling:

I pray let me know if the Queen of Sweden did write to the King by my Lord of Norwich, and if she did it civilly or not. ...

French translation (my own):

Je vous prie de me faire savoir si la reine de Suède a écrit au roi par Milord de Norwich, et si elle l'a fait civilement ou non. ...

Czech translation (my own):

Modlím se, abyste mi dali vědět, jestli švédská královna napsala králi přes milorda Norwiche a jestli to udělala slušně nebo ne. ...

Swedish translation (my own):

Jag ber Er att låta mig veta om drottningen av Sverige skrev till kungen genom milord Norwich, och om hon gjorde det artigt eller inte. ...


Above: Kristina.


Above: Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia.


Above: Sir Edward Nicholas.

No comments:

Post a Comment