Wednesday, April 12, 2023

King Louis XIII of France's letter to Johan Kasimir condoling him on the death of his wife Princess Katarina, dated April 29, 1639

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 204, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter (I have fixed a typo Arckenholtz made in transcribing the date):

Mon Cousin, ayant eu avis de la perte que vous avez faite de ma Cousine, la Princesse Palatine votre Femme, décédée depuis peu, j'ai bien voulu vous témoigner par cette Lettre la part que je prends à votre affliction, tant par l'estime que j'ai pour vous, que parce qu'elle touchoit de près défunt mon Frére le Roi de Suède, dont la mémoire me sera toujours chére. J'ai su que votre affliction est très-grande; ce qui m'engage d'autant plus à vous faire ce compliment de condoléance, & à vous souhaiter la consolation qui vous est nécessaire. Si l'assurance de mon affection pouvoit vous apporter quelque soulagement dans cette rencontre, j'en serois très-aise, ayant donné ordre au Sieur de Rorté, mon Conseiller & Gentilhomme ordinaire de ma Chambre, Résident de ma part par-delà, de vous faire entendre bien expressément que je serai charmé de vous la faire paroître dans toutes les occasions qui m'en fourniront le moyen: priant Dieu qu'il vous ait, Mon Cousin, en sa sainte & digne garde. Ecrit à St. Germain en Laye le 29 Avril 1639. &c.
LOUIS.
Bouthillier.

Swedish translation (my own):

Min kusin,
Efter att ha hört om den förlust Ni har lidit av min kusine pfalzgrevinnan, Er maka, som ju nyligen dog, har jag varit vänlig nog att genom detta brev betyga för Er om den del som jag tar i Ert lidande, både i den aktning som jag ha för Er endast för att hon ju nära berörde min salige broder, Sveriges konung, vars minne alltid kommer att stå mig kärt. Jag har vetat att Ert lidande är mycket stort, vilket engagerar mig desto mer att ge Er denna komplimang av kondoleans och att önska Er den tröst Ni behöver. Om försäkran om min tillgivenhet kunde ge Er en viss lättnad i denna recontre, skulle jag vara mycket nöjd, efter att ha givit order till monsieur de Rorté, min rådgivare och ordinarie kammarherre, resident på mina vägnar utomlands, att ge Er att förstå mycket uttryckligen att jag med glädje kommer att få det att visa sig för Er vid alla tillfällen som kommer att förse mig med medel, bedjande till Gud att han har Er, min kusin, i sin heliga och värdiga vård. Skrivet i Saint-Germain-en-Laye, den 29 april 1639. Osv.
Ludvig.
Bouthillier.

English translation (my own):

My cousin,
Having heard of the loss you have suffered of my cousin, the Princess Palatine, your wife, who died recently, I have been kind enough to testify to you by this letter the part that I take in your affliction, both in the esteem that I have for you only because she closely touched my late brother, the King of Sweden, whose memory will always be dear to me. I have known your affliction is very great, which engages me all the more to pay you this compliment of condolence and to wish you the consolation you need. If the assurance of my affection could bring you some relief in this rencontre, I would be very content, having given orders to Monsieur de Rorté, my advisor and Ordinary Gentleman of my Chamber, Resident on my behalf abroad, to give you to understand very expressly that I will be delighted to make it appear to you on all the occasions which will furnish me with the means, praying God that He have you, my cousin, in His holy and worthy keeping. Written at Saint-Germain-en-Laye, April 29, 1639. Etc.
Louis.
Bouthillier.


Above: King Louis XIII of France.


Above: Johan Kasimir.


Above: Princess Katarina.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment