Thursday, May 14, 2020

English translation of an excerpt of Chanut's letter to Bordeaux, dated January 8, 1655

Source:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/thurloe-papers/vol3/pp46-63#h3-0008

The letter:

They write from Brussels, that the queen of Sweden doth intend to pass this winter in that city. She hath sent for her goods from Antwerp. I am very much troubled, that princess doth declare herself so much affected to the Spaniard. She hath done it particularly in a letter, which she writes me in answer to a supplication I had made her, to give me leave to refute the false reports, which had been spread, that I had been at Antwerp to desire her, that she would mediate a peace for us with Spain. Her answer was very high and sharp. I did not think fit to reply, but to conceal it, and to dissemble, till such time that she shewed her letter at Brussells (as I was informed) then indeed I was obliged to return an answer . . . . . respect.





Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment