Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Kristina's letter to General Otto Wilhelm Königsmarck, in favour of Colonel Massimiliano Cleuter, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 75, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le Colonel Maximilien Cleuter vient au service de la République de Venise avec sept cens Allemans; & comme il a été mon Page, & qu'il c'est toujours rendu digne de ma protection par son courage, je vous le recommande avec soin, vous assurant que toutes les faveurs qu'il vous plaîra de lui faire en ma considération, me seront agréables, & que je vous en tiendrai un compte exact. Je prie Dieu, &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Överste Massimiliano Cleuter kommer till Republiken Venedigs tjänst med sjuhundra tyskar; och eftersom han har varit min page och alltid gjorts värdig mitt skydd genom sitt mod, rekommenderar jag honom till Er med omsorg, försäkrande Er att alla de tjänster Ni kan göra honom i min konsideration kommer att vara behagliga för mig, och att jag kommer att ge Er en exakt redogörelse för dem. Jag ber till Gud, osv.

English translation (my own):

Colonel Massimiliano Cleuter is coming to the service of the Republic of Venice with seven hundred Germans; and as he has been my page and has always been made worthy of my protection by his courage, I recommend him to you with care, assuring you that all the favours you may do him in my consideration will be agreeable to me, and that I will give you an exact account of them. I pray to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: General Otto Wilhelm Königsmarck.

No comments:

Post a Comment