Monday, November 7, 2022

Kristina's letter to the Maréchal de Turenne about his nephew, Frédéric-Maurice de la Tour d'Auvergne, going to join the military campaign for Candia, dated March 26, 1669

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 73, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 26. Mars 1669.
Mon Cousin, j'ai reçu avec joye l'obligeante Lettre que vous m'avez écrite, & vous remercie des expressions que vous m'y donnez de votre amitié, que j'estime par le mérite de votre personne. Je vous prie d'être persuadé que je suis prête à la cultiver dans toutes les occasions qui se pourront présenter; aussi vous devez croire que ce sera avec affection que je m'intéresserai dans les avantages de votre Neveu, & que je m'efforcerai de répondre, autant qu'il me sera possible, à la confiance que vous avez en moi; mais à vous parler sincérement, votre propre mérite, & celui de votre Neveu, ajoutez-y ce que la Cour de France fera de considérable & de réel pour le secours de Candie, tout cela parlera plus puissamment pour vos prétentions, que tous les bons offices que je pourrois vous rendre; néanmoins, puisque vous me les demandez, je vous les promets de tout mon cœur, & cependant je prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 26 mars 1669.
Min kusin,
Jag har med glädje mottagit det vänliga brev som Ni skrivit mig, och jag tackar Er för de uttryck, som Ni där giver mig om Er vänskap, som jag aktar efter Er persons förtjänst. Jag ber Er att vara övertygad att jag är beredd att odla den vid alla tillfällen som kan uppstå; Ni måste också tro att det kommer att vara med tillgivenhet som jag kommer att intressera mig för Er brorsons fördelar, och att jag kommer att bemöda mig att svara, så mycket som det är möjligt för mig, med det förtroende som Ni har till mig; men för att tala till Er uppriktigt, Er egen förtjänst och Er brorsons, lägg till det vad Frankrikes hov kommer att göra av betydande och verkligt för Kandias hjälp, allt som kommer att tala starkare för Era föreställningar än allt gott tjänster som jag kan ge Er. Ändå, som Ni ber dem av mig, lovar jag dem till Er av hela mitt hjärta, och emellertid ber jag till Gud att han har Er i sin heliga vård.

English translation (my own):

March 26, 1669.
My cousin,
I have received with joy the obliging letter which you have written to me, and I thank you for the expressions which you give me there of your friendship, which I esteem by the merit of your person. I beg you to be persuaded that I am ready to cultivate it on all occasions that may arise; you must also believe that it will be with affection that I will interest myself in the advantages of your nephew, and that I will endeavour to respond, as much as it will be possible for me, with the confidence which you have in me; but to speak to you sincerely, your own merit, and that of your nephew, add to it what the court of France will do of considerable and real for the succour of Candia, all that will speak more powerfully for your pretentions than all the good services that I could render to you. Nevertheless, as you ask them of me, I promise them to you with all my heart, and in the meantime I pray God to have you in His holy keeping.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, le Maréchal de Turenne.

Notes: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

Candia is the old name for the Mediterranean island of Crete.

No comments:

Post a Comment