Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Kristina's letter to Karl Ludwig, Elector Palatine of the Rhine, in favour of Carlo Filippe Adami, dated May 19, 1674

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 79, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 19. May 1674.
A mon Frére l'Electeur Palatin du Rhin. Mon Frére, je suis obligée de vous recommander le Sieur Carlo Filippe Adami, qui maintenant s'est engagé dans les Troupes Impériales destinées au secours de V. A. pour y chercher fortune. Je suis si intéressée à la lui procurer, que tout ce que je pourrois vous dire en sa faveur, est au-dessous de ce que je souhaitte que vous fassiez pour lui. Il est proche Parent d'un Cardinal, qui par son mérite extraordinaire, & par l'amitié qu'il a pour moi, se distingue d'une maniére qui m'oblige de m'intéresser avec une passion toute particuliére à tout ce qui regarde sa satisfaction. C'est pourquoi je vous prie avec tout l'empressement dont je suis capable, de protéger & favoriser ce Gentilhomme, vous assurant que je vous serai toujours obligée de toutes les bontés que vous aurez pour lui, & me servant de l'occasion pour vous assurer de la continuation de mon amitié & estime, je prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte & digne garde.
Mon Frére,
votre bonne Sœur C. A.
L'Abbé Santini.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 19 maj 1674.
Till min bror, pfalzgreven och kurfursten vid Rhen.
Min bror,
Jag är skyldig att rekommendera Er signor Carlo Filippe Adami, som nu har tagit värvning i de kejserliga trupperna avsedda för Ers Höghets hjälp att söka sin lycka där. Jag är så intresserad av att skaffa det åt honom att allt jag kan säga Er till hans fördel inte stämmer överens med vad jag önskar att Ni skall göra för honom. Han är en nära släkting till en kardinal, som genom sin utomordentliga förtjänst och genom den vänskap han har för mig utmärker sig på ett sätt som tvingar mig att intressera mig med en alldeles särskild passion i allt som rör hans tillfredsställelse. Det är därför jag ber Er med all den iver som jag kan skydda och gynna denne herre, försäkrande Er att jag alltid kommer att stå Er i tacksamhet för all den vänlighet Ni kommer att ha mot honom, och givande mig själv möjligheten att försäkra Er om fortsättningen av min vänskap och aktning, jag ber Gud att han har Er i sin heliga och värdiga vård.
Min bror,
Er goda syster K. A.
Abboten Santini.

English translation (my own):

May 19, 1674.
To my brother, the Elector Palatine of the Rhine.
My brother,
I am obliged to recommend to you Signor Carlo Filippe Adami, who has now enlisted in the Imperial Troops intended for the aid of Your Highness to seek his fortune there. I am so interested in procuring it for him that anything I can tell you in his favour falls short of what I wish you to do for him. He is a close relative of a cardinal, who by his extraordinary merit, and by the friendship he has for me, distinguishes himself in a way that obliges me to interest myself with a quite particular passion in all that regards his satisfaction. This is why I beg you with all the eagerness of which I am capable to protect and favour this gentleman, assuring you that I shall always be indebted to you for all the kindness you will have for him, and serving myself the opportunity to to assure you of the continuation of my friendship and esteem, I pray God that He have you in His holy and worthy keeping.
My brother,
Your good sister K. A.
Abbot Santini.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Karl Ludwig, Elector Palatine of the Rhine.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings, queens, and other monarchs and rulers considered themselves siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment