Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Kristina's letter to Prince Karl Eusebius of Liechtenstein, in favour of Captain Lorenzo Adami, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 80, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Monsieur le Prince de Lichtenstein, je suis persuadée que c'est vous obliger, que de vous écrire en faveur d'un Gentilhomme qui, par ses services dans l'Armée Impériale, s'est rendu digne de votre protection. J'espére que par ce motif vous me pardonnerez la confiance que je prends de vous le recommander, moi, qui n'ai pas la satisfaction de connoître votre personne, quoique la renommée m'ait assez instruite de vos bonnes qualités & de votre naissance; & il me semble que cette connoissance peut suffire pour me mettre en droit de vous demander votre faveur pour le Capitaine Adami, qui sert dans le Régiment de Montecuculi: ce Gentilhomme est proche parent d'un grand Cardinal, qui est mon intime Ami; & je suis si intéressée & obligée à procurer du bien à tous ceux qui lui appartiennent ou qui en dépendent, que ne pouvant pour le présent rien faire de plus pour ce Cavalier, je prends la confiance de vous le recommander, vous priant de vouloir le favoriser dans toutes les occasions où vous pourrez le faire. Si vous avez la bonté de répondre à mes desirs, j'espére qu'il pourra bien arriver qu'un jour vous aurez sujet de me remercier de vous l'avoir recommandé; cependant je puis bien vous assurer que je veux me charger de toutes les obligations qu'il vous aura, priant Dieu, &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Herr furste av Liechtenstein,
Jag är övertygad om att det förpliktar Er att skriva till Er på uppdrag av en herre som genom sin tjänst i den kejserliga armén gjort sig värdig Ert skydd. Jag hoppas att Ni av denna anledning förlåter mig det förtroende jag tar att rekommendera honom till Er, jag som inte har tillfredsställelsen att känna Er person, fastän berömmelsen tillräckligt har informerat mig om Era goda egenskaper och Er börd; och det förefaller mig som om denna kunskap kan räcka för att berättiga mig att be om Er tjänst för kapten Adami, som tjänstgör vid Montecuccolis regemente. Denne herre är en nära släkting till en stor kardinal som är min intime vän; och jag är så intresserad och skyldig att skaffa gott åt alla dem som tillhör honom eller som är beroende av honom, att jag, eftersom jag för närvarande inte kan göra något mer för denne kavaljer, tar förtroendet att rekommendera honom till Er, bedjande Er att gynna honom vid alla tillfällen där Ni kan göra det. Om Ni har godheten att svara på mina önskningar, hoppas jag att det kan hända att Ni en dag får anledning att tacka mig för att jag har rekommenderat honom till Er; emellertid kan jag försäkra Er om att jag vill belasta mig själv med alla de skyldigheter han kommer att ha för Er, bedjande till Gud, osv.

English translation (my own):

Lord Prince of Liechtenstein,
I am persuaded that it is obliging you to write to you on behalf of a gentleman who, by his service in the Imperial Army, has made himself worthy of your protection. I hope that for this reason you will forgive me for the confidence I take in recommending him to you, I who do not have the satisfaction of knowing your person, although fame has sufficiently informed me of your good qualities and your birth; and it seems to me that this knowledge may suffice to entitle me to ask your favour for Captain Adami, who serves in Montecuccoli's regiment. This gentleman is a close relative of a great cardinal who is my intimate friend; and I am so interested and obliged to procure good for all those who belong to him or who depend on him, that, being unable for the present to do anything more for this cavalier, I take the confidence to recommend him to you, begging you to favour him in all the occasions where you can do it. If you have the kindness to respond to my desires, I hope it may well happen that one day you will have cause to thank me for having recommended him to you; in the meantime, I can assure you that I want to charge myself with all the obligations he will have for you, praying to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Prince Karl Eusebius of Liechtenstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment