Monday, November 7, 2022

Kristina's letter to Procurator Bassadonna, in favour of Count Loschi, with a postscript in Kristina's own handwriting, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 72, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter (Arckenholtz made a typo on Loschi):

Monsieur le Procureur Bassadona, vous m'avez donné toujours des marques si obligeantes de votre amitié & affection, que je ne saurois m'empêcher de vous donner celles de ma confiance, & de l'estime que je fais de votre personne & de votre autorité, lorsque les occasions s'en présentent. Je suis obligé[e] de vous demander votre faveur, pour que le Comte Coschi obtienne la grace qu'il demande dans le Mémoire, & que je voudrois bien obtenir, comme je l'espére, par votre moyen, en vertu de l'extrême desir que j'ai d'obliger le Comte, qui a eu cette confiance en mes offices. C'est pourquoi je vous recommande cette affaire de tout mon cœur, vous assurant que je vous en serai redevable, & vous en témoignerai ma reconnoissance dans l'occasion, & je prie Dieu, &c.

P. S. Quand je vous dirai, Monsieur, que cette affaire vient de m'être recommandée, par une personne qui est proche parent de Sa Sainteté, je m'assure que vous serez persuadé que j'ai raison de m'intéresser au bon succès de cette affaire, que je vous recommande de tout mon cœur.

Swedish translation (my own):

Herr prokurör Bassadonna,
Ni har alltid givit mig så vänliga tecken på Er vänskap och tillgivenhet att jag inte kan avstå från att ge Er de av mitt självförtroende och av den aktning som jag har för Er person och Er auktoritet när tillfällena dyker upp. Jag är skyldig att be om Er gunst, så att greve Loschi kan få den benådning han begär i memorialen, och som jag skulle vilja erhålla, som jag hoppas, med Ert medel, i kraft av den yttersta önskan att jag har att förplikta den greve, som har haft detta förtroende för mina tjänster. Det är därför jag rekommenderar denna affär till Er av hela mitt hjärta, försäkrande Er om att jag kommer att stå Er i tacksamhet för den och kommer att betyga Er min tacksamhet för den när tillfället uppstår, och jag ber till Gud, osv.

P. S. När jag säger Er, herre, att denna fråga just har rekommenderats till mig, av en person som är en nära släkting till Hans Helighet, försäkrar jag Er att Ni kommer att övertygas om att jag har rätt att vara intresserad av den goda framgången av denna affär, som jag rekommenderar Er av hela mitt hjärta.

English translation (my own):

Lord Procurator Bassadonna,
You have always given me such obliging marks of your friendship and affection that I cannot refrain from giving you those of my confidence and of the esteem that I have for your person and your authority when the occasions present themselves. I am obliged to ask your favour so that Count Loschi may obtain the pardon he asks for in the memorandum, and which I would like to obtain, as I hope, by your means, by virtue of the extreme desire that I have to oblige the Count, who has had this confidence in my services. This is why I recommend this affair to you with all my heart, assuring you that I will be indebted to you for it, and will testify to you my gratitude for it when the occasion arises, and I pray to God, etc.

P. S. When I tell you, Sir, that this matter has just been recommended to me, by a person who is a close relative of His Holiness, I assure you that you will be persuaded that I am right to be interested in the good success of this affair, which I recommend to you with all my heart.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment