Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Bulstrode Whitelocke's diary entry of December 29, 1653/January 8, 1654 (Old Style)

Source:

A journal of the Swedish ambassy, in the years M.DCC.LIII. and M.DCC.LIV., volume 1, pages 261 to 268, by Bulstrode Whitelocke, 1772


Bulstr. Whitelockes Dag-Bok Öfver Dess Ambassade til Sverige, pages 218 to 224, translated by Johan Edman, 1777


The diary entry:

The master of the ceremonies being out of town, Whitelocke made use of the favour of Grave Tott, and by him procured a private audience from the queen, to which he went in his own coaches; and in the great chamber Grave Tott mett him, and sayed, he had surprised them att court, who intended to have sent the queen's coaches for him, butt he came sooner than they expected; for which Whitelocke asked their pardon, if his earnest desire to have the honor of being in her majesty's presence, might bring him to court att an hower unseasonable.

He was presently admitted into the queen's presence, where two stooles were brought in; and the queen having heard that Whitelocke was lame, she herselfe sate downe, and commanded Whitelocke to sitt by her: she kept of her cappe, and so did Whitelocke all the time of the audience.

Having first intertained her with some newes which he had from England, and concerning the dutch; he then showed her a list of the parlement's fleet for the winter guard, explaining to her the number of men, the severall officers, the burthen of the ships, how many pieces of ordinance each of them carryed, the pay of the men, the provisions of dyett, the stores, ammunition, and the like; of all which she was very inquisitive, and asked him,

Queen. "Doe those ships belong to the common-wealth? or to private persons, and are made use of by the state when they have occasion, as att this time?"

Wh. "They are all the states own ships, built and furnisht att the publique charge, and are sett out for this winter guard only. The state hath many more and greater ships belonging to their navy, which are reserved, and to be fitted for the summer guard; besides many others that are repayring, and new building."

Qu. "This is a gallant navy indeed; I am exceedingly taken with the description of it. I thought no prince or state in the world had had so good a fleet, except the hollanders, who, I believe, have more ships then England."

Wh. "The hollanders may have more ships or vessels then England, especially if fisher boates be reckoned; butt for ships of warre, England is not inferior to any other nation. The hollanders take more care for ships of burthen, than of force; butt the english merchant ships may be easily converted to able ships of war. The hollanders, till their present sea war with England, had not much occasion for ships of war, being in peace with their neighbors, and the lesse, being uppon the continent; butt for carryage ships (their principall interest being trade) they had as much occasion, and a greater number then any other people. Butt England, Scotland, Ireland, and the dominions of our common-wealth, consisting of islands; our chiefest defence is in our navy, to meet with an ennemy before he lands, and our best bulwarkes are these wooden walles."

Qu. "You have reason for what you say; some of these ships of yours would doe good service to open the Sundt. What way doe you thinke fitt to be taken to open and make free the passage therof?"

Wh. "That must needs be better known to your majesty, who is a neighbor to the place, and much concerned in it, then to me who am a stranger."

Qu. "But I desire your opinion in it."

Wh. "I doe not thinke it convenient to permit the dane and the dutch to lay what exactions they please uppon all the people of the world, who have occasion to passe that way."

Qu. "It cannot be taken out of their hands butt by force."

Att this word the queen drew her stoole nearer to Whitelocke's, and sayd:

Qu. "Doe you thinke that the common-wealth of England will give assistance in that buisnes?"

Wh. "Madame, I thinke they will, uppon such just and honorable terms as may be agreed."

Qu. "Doe you thinke they will send any ships for that purpose?"

Wh. "I believe uppon fitt termes they will."

Qu. "What would you propose as fitt to be done in the buisnes?"

Wh. "I suppose your majesty doth not expect any proposall from me in the first place. Butt if you will be pleased to consider of some proposalls in order to that buisnes, and that I may have them in writing, I will send them to my superiors, from whom I shall speedily receive directions therin, agreeable to the interest of both nations; and a conclusion may be theruppon had in this buisnes heer."

Qu. "Par Dieu! this is worthy the consideration of both nations, and doth not only concerne them, butt all the world besides. Butt what doe you thinke of the emperor's taking part with the king of Denmarke?"

Wh. "The buisnes will be chiefly att sea, where the emperor hath no strength. And I believe his imperiall majesty will have no opportunity to molest your majesty's territories in Germany, in regard of his own affayres with the princes and his neighbors."

Qu. "Butt he may assist the Dane with money."

Wh. "I thinke he hath not much to spare."

Qu. "The king of Spayne may lend them money."

Wh. "Not against England or Sweden, especially to advance the interest of Holland; though he should have money enough besides for his own many occasions, which I believe he hath not."

Qu. "I presume the dutch will come with all their power to assist the Dane chiefly against England, and to hinder their having an interest in the Sundt."

Wh. "It concerns them so to do, the rather now, they being in hostility against us, and in alliance with the Dane: butt this is to be expected and provided for; and the buisnes will come the sooner, and the more certainly to an issue."

Qu. "Doe you thinke that your common-wealth will send ships enough, and sufficient to incounter with the dutch?"

Wh. "In all our affayres hitherto, the blessing of God hath bin with our common-wealth; and I doubt not butt that our ships, joining with your majesty's, will suffice to bring to reason the dane or dutch, in these or any other seas."

Qu. "I believe the king of France will assist them."

Wh. "His navy is not very formidable, nor frequent, on the Baltick sea; and for land forces, they will have a long march, after they have made an end with the prince of Conde and their old ennemy; nor hath that king much spare money."

Qu. "You speake very fully, and truely, of the interest of the severall princes and states of Europe. I do extreamly like the buisnes, and will prepare a memoire of some proposalls concerning it, and give it to you to send into England; butt speed, and vigor, and secrecy are requisite heerin. And I must injoyne you to acquainte no body with this discourse, butt only your generall Cromwell, whose word I shall relye uppon; butt I would not have this matter made knowne to any other whatsoever: and I desire you not to speake of it to any of my own ministers; nor, of any thing else relating to your negotiation, butt what I shall give way unto."

Wh. "Madame, I shall faithfully obey your majesty's commaunds, and not reveale any tittle of these matters without your permission."

Qu. "Have you not heard in England, that I was to marry the king of Scotts?"

Wh. "It hath bin reported so in England, and that letters have past between your majesty and him for that purpose; and that your majesty had a good affection for the king of Scotts."

Qu. "I confesse that letters have past between us; butt this I will assure you, that I will not marry that king: he is a young man, and in a condition sad enough; though I respect him very much, yett I shall never marry him, you may be well assured. Butt I shall tell you under secrecy, that the king of Scotts lately sent a letter to the prince Palatine, my cousen, and with it the order of a knight of the garter to the prince: butt the messenger had the witt to bring it first to me; and when I saw it and had read the letter, I threw it into the fire, and would not suffer the george to be delivered to my cousen."

Wh. "Your majesty did very judiciously, and therby testifyed great prudence in yourselfe, and great honor and respect to the common-wealth of England. I mett in your court one of my countrymen, no friend to our common-wealth, whom I suspect might be the messenger."

Qu. "Who was that?"

Wh. "Sir William Balendine."

Qu. "He indeed was the messenger: butt doe not communicate this passage to any butt to your generall."

Wh. "I shall fully performe your majesty's commaunds; and, madame, I hope you will not trouble yourselfe to receive any publique minister or message from the king of Scotts, or any of his party; or if any should come, that your servant may have the honor to know of it."

Qu. "What would you doe in case any such thing should be?"

Wh. "I hope that, in reason and in right of friendship with our common-wealth, I may prevayle with your majesty not to intertaine any such minister or message; and it behoves me, in that duety and service which I owe to my superiors, to make my protestation against any such message or messengers."

Qu. "That would be an act of stoutnes in you, and I believe you may be commanded to doe soe; butt I suppose there will be no occasion for it: there is no such messenger in my court; and as for Balendine, he is one of my servants."

Wh. "I hope there will be no occasion for it."

Qu. "What are the perticulars which you have to propose to me of this treaty?"

Wh. "Madame, I have them heer in writing."

Then Whitelocke (having resolved as the best way in his judgment to deale with a princesse of honor) did freely and fully present her with all the articles att once, for which he had received instructions, reserving only three, which would be more proper to be given in and treated on after her answear known to these. Perhaps he would have done otherwise with the Dutch, or other people, to have proceeded by degrees, and not to have bid so much att first; butt with this queen he thought this franke way would be the best. And it proved so; for she was pleased after this to say to some in private, that the english ambassador had dealt with her, not as a merchant, butt as a gentleman and as a man of honor, and that he should fare the better for it.

Whitelocke gave her an english coppy of the articles signed by him, and a latin coppy not signed: she desired him to reade the latin coppy to her, which he did, and, after they were read, the queen made her observations uppon severall of them, asking the meaning therof, which Whitelocke explained, and endeavoured to give her satisfaction. She then said, it was a great buisnes, and she desired some few days to consider and advise uppon it: Whitelocke told her, she was mistris of her own time, and when she should commaund, he would be ready to waite on her majesty agayne. She replyed, that, whensoever he pleased to come to her court, the gates should be open to receive him, and he should be wellcome to her; and that, within three or four dayes, she would be ready to conferre with him agayne about these matters.

This audience lasted about three howres, none interrupting it, and the queen was in a very good humour, and seemed very well pleased with the company and conference.

With modernised spelling:

The Master of the Ceremonies being out of town, Whitelocke made use of the favour of Grave Tott, and by him procured a private audience from the Queen, to which he went in his own coaches; and in the great chamber Grave Tott mett him and said he had surprised them at court who intended to have sent the Queen's coaches for him, but he came sooner than they expected, for which Whitelocke asked their pardon if his earnest desire to have the honour of being in Her Majesty's presence might bring him to court at an hour unseasonable.

He was presently admitted into the Queen's presence, where two stools were brought in; and the Queen, having heard that Whitelocke was lame, she herself sat down and commanded Whitelocke to sit by her. She kept off her cap, and so did Whitelocke all the time of the audience.

Having first entertained her with some news which he had from England, and concerning the Dutch, he then showed her a list of the Parliament's fleet for the winter guard, explaining to her the number of men, the several officers, the burden of the ships, how many pieces of ordinance each of them carried, the pay of the men, the provisions of diet, the stores, ammunition, and the like, of all which she was very inquisitive and asked him:

Queen: "Do those ships belong to the Commonwealth or to private persons? And are [they] made use of by the State when they have occasion, as at this time?"

Whitelocke: "They are all the State's own ships, built and furnished at the public charge, and are set out for this winter guard only. The State hath many more and greater ships belonging to their navy, which are reserved and to be fitted for the summer guard, besides many others that are repairing, and new building."

Queen: "This is a gallant navy indeed, I am exceedingly taken with the description of it. I thought no prince or state in the world had had so good a fleet, except the Hollanders, who, I believe, have more ships than England."

Whitelocke: "The Hollanders may have more ships or vessels than England, especially if fisher-boats be reckoned; but for ships of war, England is not inferior to any other nation. The Hollanders take more care for ships of burden than of force, but the English merchant ships may be easily converted to able ships of war. The Hollanders, till their present sea war with England, had not much occasion for ships of war, being in peace with their neighbours, and the less, being upon the Continent; but for carriage ships (their principal interest being trade), they had as much occasion and a greater number than any other people. But England, Scotland, Ireland, and the dominions of our Commonwealth consisting of islands, our chiefest defense is in our Navy, to meet with an enemy before he lands, and our best bulwarks are these wooden walls."

Queen: "You have reason for what you say; some of these ships of yours would do good service to open the Sund. What way do you think fit to be taken to open and make free the passage thereof?"

Whitelocke: "That must needs be better known to Your Majesty, who is a neighbour to the place and much concerned in it, than to me, who am a stranger."

Queen: "But I desire your opinion in it."

Whitelocke: "I do not think it convenient to permit the Dane and the Dutch to lay what exactions they please upon all the people of the world who have occasion to pass that way."

Queen: "It cannot be taken out of their hands but by force."

At this word, the Queen drew her stool nearer to Whitelocke's and said:

Queen: "Do you think that the Commonwealth of England will give assistance in that business?"

Whitelocke: "Madame, I think they will, upon such just and honourable terms as may be agreed."

Queen: "Do you think they will send any ships for that purpose?"

Whitelocke: "I believe, upon fit terms, they will."

Queen: "What would you propose as fit to be done in the business?"

Whitelocke: "I suppose Your Majesty doth not expect any proposal from me in the first place. But if you will be pleased to consider of some proposals in order to that business, and that I may have them in writing, I will send them to my superiors, from whom I shall speedily receive directions therein agreeable to the interest of both nations; and a conclusion may be thereupon had in this business here."

Queen: "Par Dieu! This is worthy the consideration of both nations, and doth not only concern them, but all the world besides. But what do you think of the Emperor's taking part with the King of Denmark?"

Whitelocke: "The business will be chiefly at sea, where the Emperor hath no strength. And I believe His Imperial Majesty will have no opportunity to molest Your Majesty's territories in Germany, in regard of his own affairs with the princes and his neighbours."

Queen: "But he may assist the Dane with money."

Whitelocke: "I think he hath not much to spare."

Queen: "The King of Spain may lend them money."

Whitelocke: "Not against England or Sweden, especially to advance the interest of Holland; though he should have money enough besides for his own many occasions, which I believe he hath not."

Queen: "I presume the Dutch will come with all their power to assist the Dane chiefly against England, and to hinder their having an interest in the Sund."

Whitelocke: "It concerns them so to do, the rather now, they being in hostility against us, and in alliance with the Dane; but this is to be expected and provided for, and the business will come the sooner and the more certainly to an issue."

Queen: "Do you think that your Commonwealth will send ships enough and sufficient to encounter with the Dutch?"

Whitelocke: "In all our affairs hitherto, the blessing of God hath been with our Commonwealth, and I doubt not but that our ships, joining with Your Majesty's, will suffice to bring to reason the Dane or Dutch in these or any other seas."

Queen: "I believe the King of France will assist them."

Whitelocke: "His navy is not very formidable nor frequent on the Baltic Sea, and for land forces, they will have a long march after they have made an end with the Prince of Condé and their old enemy; nor hath that king much spare money."

Queen: "You speak very fully and truly of the interest of the several princes and states of Europe. I do extremely like the business and will prepare a memoir of some proposals concerning it and give it to you to send into England; but speed and vigour and secrecy are requisite herein. And I must enjoin you to acquaint nobody with this discourse but only your General Cromwell, whose word I shall rely upon; but I would not have this matter made known to any other whatsoever. And I desire you not to speak of it to any of my own ministers nor of anything else relating to your negotiation but what I shall give way unto."

Whitelocke: "Madame, I shall faithfully obey Your Majesty's commands and not reveal any tittle of these matters without your permission."

Queen: "Have you not heard in England that I was to marry the King of Scots?"

Whitelocke: "It hath been reported so in England and that letters have passed between Your Majesty and him for that purpose, and that Your Majesty had a good affection for the King of Scots."

Queen: "I confess that letters have passed between us, but this I will assure you, that I will not marry that king. He is a young man and in a condition sad enough. Though I respect him very much, yet I shall never marry him, you may be well assured. But I shall tell you under secrecy that the King of Scots lately sent a letter to the Prince Palatine, my cousin, and with it the order of a Knight of the Garter to the prince. But the messenger had the wit to bring it first to me, and when I saw it and had read the letter, I threw it into the fire and would not suffer the George to be delivered to my cousin."

Whitelocke: "Your Majesty did very judiciously and thereby testified great prudence in yourself and great honour and respect to the Commonwealth of England. I met in your court one of my countrymen, no friend to our Commonwealth, whom I suspect might be the messenger."

Queen: "Who was that?"

Whitelocke: "Sir William Ballentine."

Queen: "He indeed was the messenger, but do not communicate this passage to any but to your General."

Whitelocke: "I shall fully perform Your Majesty's commands; and, Madame, I hope you will not trouble yourself to receive any public minister or message from the King of Scots or any of his party; or, if any should come, that your servant may have the honour to know of it."

Queen: "What would you do in case any such thing should be?"

Whitelocke: "I hope that, in reason and in right of friendship with our Commonwealth, I may prevail with Your Majesty not to entertain any such minister or message; and it behoves me in that duty and service which I owe to my superiors to make my protestation against any such message or messengers."

Queen: "That would be an act of stoutness in you, and I believe you may be commanded to do so; but I suppose there will be no occasion for it. There is no such messenger in my court; and as for Ballentine, he is one of my servants."

Whitelocke: "I hope there will be no occasion for it."

Queen: "What are the particulars which you have to propose to me of this treaty?"

Whitelocke: "Madame, I have them here in writing."

Then Whitelocke (having resolved as the best way in his judgement to deal with a princess of honour) did freely and fully present her with all the articles at once, for which he had received instructions, reserving only three, which would be more proper to be given in and treated on after her answer known to these. Perhaps he would have done otherwise with the Dutch, or other people, to have proceeded by degrees and not to have bid so much at first; but with this queen, he thought this frank way would be the best. And it proved so, for she was pleased after this to say to some in private that the English ambassador had dealt with her not as a merchant, but as a gentleman and as a man of honour, and that he should fare the better for it.

Whitelocke gave her an English copy of the articles signed by him and a Latin copy not signed. She desired him to read the Latin copy to her, which he did; and, after they were read, the Queen made her observations upon several of them, asking the meaning thereof, which Whitelocke explained and endeavoured to give her satisfaction. She then said it was a great business, and she desired some few days to consider and advise upon it. Whitelocke told her she was mistress of her own time, and when she should command, he would be ready to waite on Her Majesty again. She replied that whensoever he pleased to come to her court, the gates should be open to receive him and he should be welcome to her, and that, within three or four days, she would be ready to confer with him again about these matters.

This audience lasted about three hours, none interrupting it, and the Queen was in a very good humour and seemed very well pleased with the company and conference.

Approximate reconstruction of the conversation as it was in French (my translation):

Christine: «Ces navires appartiennent-ils à la République ou à des particuliers? Et sont-ils utilisés par l'État quand ils en ont l'occasion, comme en ce moment?»

Whitelocke: «Ce sont tous les navires de l'État, construits et meublés aux frais du public, et ils ne sont destinés qu'à cette garde d'hiver. L'État a de nombreux navires de plus en plus grands appartenant à sa marine, qui sont réservés et à équiper pour la garde d'été, en plus de beaucoup d'autres qui sont en réparation et nouvellement construits.»

Christine: «C'est une marine vaillante en effet, je suis extrêmement contente de la description de celle-ci. Je pensais qu'aucun prince ou état au monde n'avait eu une si bonne flotte sauf les Hollandais, qui, je crois, ont plus de navires que l'Angleterre.»

Whitelocke: «Les Hollandais peuvent avoir plus de navires ou de navires que l'Angleterre, surtout si l'on compte les navires de pêche; mais en ce qui concerne les vaisseaux de guerre, l'Angleterre n'est inférieure à aucune autre nation. Les Hollandais prennent plus soin des navires marchands que de la force, mais les navires marchands anglais peuvent être facilement convertis en navires de guerre capables. Les Hollandais, jusqu'à leur guerre maritime actuelle avec l'Angleterre, n'avaient pas beaucoup besoin de navires de guerre, étant en paix avec leurs voisins, et d'autant moins, étant sur le continent; mais quant aux navires de transport (leur principal intérêt étant le commerce), ils avaient autant d'occasions et un plus grand nombre que tout autre peuple. Mais l'Angleterre, l'Écosse, l'Irlande et les dominions de notre République étant constitués d'îles, notre principale défense est dans notre marine, pour rencontrer un ennemi avant qu'il n'atterrisse, et nos meilleurs remparts sont ces murs de bois.»

Christine: «Vous avez raison de ce que vous dites; quelques-uns de vos navires rendraient de bons services pour ouvrir le Sund. Quel chemin pensez-vous qu'il convient de prendre pour l'ouvrir et en libérer le passage?»

Whitelocke: «Cela doit nécessairement être mieux connu de Votre Majesté, qui est une voisine de l'endroit et qui s'y intéresse beaucoup, que de moi, qui suis un étranger.»

Christine: «Mais je désire connaître votre opinion à ce sujet.»

Whitelocke: «Je ne pense pas qu'il soit commode de permettre au Danois et aux Hollandais d'imposer les exigences qu'ils veulent à tous les peuples du monde qui ont l'occasion de passer par là.»

Christine: «Ils ne peuvent leur être retirés des mains que par la force.» ...

Christine: «Pensez-vous que la République d'Angleterre apportera son aide dans cette affaire?»

Whitelocke: «Madame, je pense qu'ils le feront, à des conditions justes et honorables qui pourront être convenues.»

Christine: «Pensez-vous qu'ils enverront des navires à cette fin?»

Whitelocke: «Je crois qu'ils le feront, à des conditions convenables.»

Christine: «Que proposeriez-vous comme bon à faire dans l'affaire?»

Whitelocke: «Je suppose que Votre Majesté n'attend aucune proposition de ma part. Mais, s'il vous plaît d'examiner quelques propositions relatives à cette affaire, et afin que je puisse les avoir par écrit, je les enverrai à mes supérieurs, dont je recevrai rapidement des instructions à cet égard, conformes à l'intérêt des deux nations; et une conclusion peut être là-dessus eue dans cette affaire ici.»

Christine: «Par Dieu! Ceci est digne de la considération des deux nations et ne concerne pas seulement elles, mais tout le monde aussi. Mais que pensez-vous de la participation de l'empereur avec le roi de Danemark?»

Whitelocke: «L'affaire sera principalement en mer, où l'empereur n'a aucune force. Et je crois que Sa Majesté Impériale n'aura aucune occasion de molester les territoires de Votre Majesté en Allemagne, en ce qui concerne ses propres affaires avec les princes et ses voisins.»

Christine: «Mais il pourrait aider le Danois avec de l'argent.»

Whitelocke: «Je pense qu'il n'a pas grand-chose à perdre.»

Christine: «Le roi d'Espagne pourrait leur prêter de l'argent.»

Whitelocke: «Pas contre l'Angleterre ou la Suède, surtout pour faire avancer les intérêts de la Hollande; bien qu'il devrait avoir assez d'argent en plus pour ses propres nombreuses occasions, ce que je crois qu'il n'a pas.»

Christine: «Je présume que les Hollandais viendront avec tout leur pouvoir pour aider le Danois principalement contre l'Angleterre, et pour les empêcher d'avoir un intérêt dans le Sund.»

Whitelocke: «Cela les concerne de faire, plutôt maintenant, qu'ils sont en hostilité contre nous et en alliance avec le Danois; mais c'est à prévoir, et l'affaire viendra le plus tôt et le plus certainement à une issue.»

Christine: «Pensez-vous que votre République enverra suffisamment de navires pour affronter les Hollandais?»

Whitelocke: «Dans toutes nos affaires jusqu'à présent, la bénédiction de Dieu a été avec notre République, et je ne doute pas que nos navires, se joignant à Votre Majesté, suffiront à amener les Danois ou les Hollandais à raisonner dans ces mers ou dans d'autres.»

Christine: «Je crois que le roi de France les aidera.»

Whitelocke: «Sa marine n'est pas très redoutable ni fréquente sur la mer Baltique, et quant aux forces terrestres, elles auront une longue marche après avoir fini avec le prince de Condé et leur vieil ennemi; et ce roi n'a pas beaucoup d'argent de réserve.»

Christine: «Vous parlez très pleinement et vraiment de l'intérêt des plusieurs princes et États d'Europe. J'aime extrêmement l'affaire et préparerai un mémoire de quelques propositions à son sujet, et je vous le donnerai pour l'envoyer en Angleterre; mais la rapidité, la vigueur et le secret sont requis ici. Et je dois vous enjoindre de ne communiquer ce discours à personne, mais seulement à votre général Cromwell, dont je compte sur la parole; mais je ne veux pas que cette affaire soit portée à la connaissance de qui que ce soit d'autre. Et je désire que vous n'en parliez à aucun de mes propres ministres ni de quoi que ce soit d'autre concernant votre négociation que ce dont je vous parlerai.»

Whitelocke: «Madame, j'obéirai fidèlement aux ordres de Votre Majesté et je ne révélerai rien de ces questions sans votre permission.»

Christine: «N'avez-vous pas entendu dire en Angleterre que je devais épouser le roi d'Ecosse?»

Whitelocke: «Il en a été rapporté en Angleterre, et que des lettres ont été échangées entre Votre Majesté et lui à cet effet, et que Votre Majesté avait une bonne affection pour le roi d'Ecosse.»

Christine: «J'avoue que des lettres ont passé entre nous, mais je vous assure que je n'épouserai pas ce roi. C'est un jeune homme et dans un état assez triste. Bien que je le respecte beaucoup, je ne l'épouserai jamais,  vous pouvez en être bien sûr, mais je vous dirai en secret que le roi d'Écosse a envoyé dernièrement une lettre au prince palatin, mon cousin, et avec elle il a envoyé l'ordre d'un chevalier de l'ordre la Jarretière au prince. Le messager a eu l'esprit de me l'apporter, et quand je l'ai vu et que j'ai lu la lettre, je l'ai jetée au feu et je n'ai pas voulu qu'elle soit remise à mon cousin.»

Whitelocke: «Votre Majesté a agi très judicieusement et a ainsi témoigné d'une grande prudence en elle-même et d'un grand honneur et respect pour la République d'Angleterre. J'ai rencontré à votre cour un de mes compatriotes, aucun ami de notre République, dont je soupçonne qu'il pourrait être le messager.»

Christine: «Qui était-ce?»

Whitelocke: «Monsieur Guillaume Ballentine.»

Christine: «Il était en effet le messager, mais ne communiquez ce passage qu'à votre général.»

Whitelocke: «J'exécuterai pleinement les ordres de Votre Majesté; et, Madame, j'espère que vous ne vous dérangerez pas pour recevoir un ministre public ou un message du roi d'Écosse ou de l'un de ses partisans; ou, le cas échéant, que votre serviteur  peut avoir l'honneur de le savoir.»

Christine: «Que feriez-vous au cas où une telle chose se produirait?»

Whitelocke: «J'espère que, en raison et en droit d'amitié avec notre République, je pourrai prévaloir auprès de Votre Majesté de ne pas recevoir un tel ministre ou message ; et il m'incombe, dans le devoir et le service que je dois à mes supérieurs, de rendre ma protestation contre un tel message ou messager.»

Christine: «Ce serait un acte de ténacité de votre part, et je crois que vous pouvez être commandé de le faire; mais je suppose qu'il n'y aura pas d'occasion pour cela. Il n'y a pas un tel messager dans ma cour; et quant à Ballentine, il est un de mes serviteurs.»

Whitelocke: «J'espère qu'il n'y aura pas d'occasion pour cela.»

Christine: «Quels sont les particularités que vous avez à me proposer sur ce traité?»

Whitelocke: «Madame, je les ai ici par écrit.»

Swedish translation of the conversation (by Edman):

Drottn. »Höra alle desse skepp Engelske Kronan til, eller äro enskilde personer egare af dem, fast de i nödfall stå til Republiquens tjenst.«

Wh. »De höra alle Staten til, och äro på dess bekostnad bygde och utrustade, endast för at denna vinter gå i sjön. Staten har utan dess många större och starkare skepp, som äro i beredskap til sommaren, förutan flera, som i dockorne äro under bygnad eller lagning.«

Drottn. »Det är i sanning en vacker flotta, och är jag ganska mycket road af beskrifningen däröfver. Jag hade annars trodt, at ingen magt i Europa skulle ega så många skepp, och likväl lära de finnas, som hafva dem til större antal än England.«

Wh. »Holländarne hafva flera skepp, om deras fiskarebåtar äfven räknas, men talas endast om krigsskepp, så gifver visst England ingen Nation efter. Holländarne fråga mer efter skepp, som hafva stark bårning, Engelsmännerne däremot efter starka skepp, hvadan äfven deras köpmansfartyg i hast kunna til krigsskepp förvandlas. Holländarne voro, innan det nu varande kriget begyntes, i fullkomlig frid med sina grannar, och behöfde således inga krigsskepp; Engelsmännernes säkraste skydd vore däremot en stark flotta, då man genom den satte sig i stånd at hindra fiendtelig landstigning; och äro deras skepp landets tryggaste försvarsverk.«

Drottn. »J har orsak at säga så, och tror jag at någre af Edra skepp, skulle göra godt tjenst at öpna Sundet. Hvad steg tror J man säkrast kunde taga at öpna Sundet, och där skaffa en fri framfart?«

Wh. »Det lärer Edar Maj:t, som bor i grannskapet, och hvars Rike saken närmest rörer, bättre känna än jag, som är aldeles främmande.«

Drottn. »Men jag vil höra Edar tanke.«

Wh. »Jag finner ej at man bör tola, det Danskar och Holländare lägga hvad tunga de behaga på dem, som gå genom Sundet.«

Drottn. »Men det kan ej, utan genom styrka, betagas dem.« ...

Drottn. »Menar J väl Edar Republique vil på något vis vara oss til hjelp, om vi med allvare skulle gripa an denna saken?«

Wh. »Det tror jag med sådana villkor, hvaruti de kunna gå in.«

Drottn. »Tror J Republiquen skulle vilja sända några skepp?«

Wh. »Det tror jag, mot skäliga villkor.«

Drottn. »Hvad föreslår J såsom bäst at göra i denna saken?«

Wh. »Jag hoppas Edar Maj:t ej väntar, at jag i denna sak skall föreslå villkoren: men om Edar Maj:t behagar nämna och hällst skrifteligen gifva mig dem, så vil jag med det snaraste öfversända dem til Parlamentet, som ej länge lärer dröja at däröfver, på et både Nationerne fördelaktigt sätt, yttra sig.«

Drottn. »Par Dieu! saken är af betydenhet, ej endast för både dessa Nationer, utan för hela verlden. Men hvad tänker J väl, om Kejsaren skulle gå på Konungens at Dannemark sida?«

Wh. »Det kommer förnämligast an på sjömagt, hvaraf Kejsaren ej har stort, och tror jag äfven, det hans ställning med dess grannar ej tillåter honom at oroa Edar Maj:ts Tyska Länder.«

Drottn. »Men han kan gifva Danskarne penningar.«

Wh. »Jag tror honom ej hafva mycket at gifva utaf.«

Drottn. »Än om Konungen i Spanien skulle läna dem penningar.«

Wh. »Det gör han ej, då det är emot Englands eller Sveriges förmon; i synnerhet då Holländarne därigenom vinna, om han än hade mycket penningar, men jag tror honom utan dess ej hafva mer än han sjelf behöfver.«

Drottn. »Men jag föreställer mig at Holländarne göra alt, för at hindra England at uti denna expedition deltaga.«

Wh. »Så mycket snarare som de äro i förbund med Dansken, och hafva krig med oss. Men som detta är en förut sedd svårighet, hittar man nog på medel at öfvervinna den, och skall saken därigenom så mycket snarare komma til verkställighet.«

Drottn. »Tror J, det England skickar skepp nog, för at hålla Holländarne varme?«

Wh. »Hit intil har Gud bistått oss i alla våra förrättningar, och hoppas jag Edar Maj:ts och vår flotta vara tilräcklige at tysta Holländarne och Danskar, hvar hällst det vore.«

Drottn. »Jag fruktar Konungen af Frankrike torde vilja hjelpa dem.«

Wh. »Hans sjömagt är ej betydande, och sällsynt i Östersjön, och hvad Landtroupperne beträffar, skulle de få en ganska lång marche, sedan de först gjort slut med Prinsen af Condé och deras egna fiender, och är han utan dess ej stadd vid penningar.«

Drottn. »J talar ganska fritt, men braf, om de fleste Magter i Europa, och är jag mycket hogad för denna expeditionen, vil ock gifva Eder et förslag skrifteligen, för at öfversända til England; men skyndsamhet, öfverläggning och tysthet, äro oundgängelige. Jag får därföre bedja Eder ej nämna därom för någon, ej en gång för mina Ministrer, utan endast skicka det til Edar General, på hvars utlåtande jag förlitar mig.«

Wh. »Jag skall troligen i akt taga Edar Maj:ts befallning, och ej för någon yppa det, utan Edar Maj:ts tilstånd.«

Drottn. »Har J ej i England hört, at jag skulle gifta mig med Konungen af Skottland?«

Wh. »Ryckte har gått, at brefväxling varit emellan Edar Maj:t och honom, rörande detta ämne, och at Edar Maj:t ej skulle vara ohogad därtil.«

Drottn. »Det är sant, at brefväxling oss emellan varit, men jag försäkrar Eder, at jag aldrig tager honom til Gemål. Han är en ung Herre, och i nog ledsamma ställningar, och försäkrar jag ännu en gång, at jag aldrig gifter mig med honom. Men i tysthet skall jag säga Eder, at Konungen i Skottland nyligen sändt et bref med Strumpebands-orden til Pfaltsgrefven min Cousin, men brefbäraren var vettig nog at först lemna brefvet til mig, och sedan jag läsit det, kastade jag det strax på elden, och ville ej, at min Cousin skulle bära någon orden, som var skickad ifrån honom.«

Wh. »Edar Maj:t gjorde däruti för sin egen del väl, förutan det Edar Maj:t äfven därigenom visade mycken aktning för Republiquen; och har jag i Edart Hof träffat en, som jag vet ej vara vår vän, hvilken jag misstänker för at hafva öfverbragt detta.«

Drottn. »Hvilken är det?«

Wh. »Sir WILLIAM BALENDINE.«

Drottn. »Han var i sanning budbäraren, men uppenbara ej detta för någon, Edar General undantagen.«

Wh. »Jag skall til alla delar upfylla Edar Maj:ts befallning, och hoppas Edar Maj:t ej emottager något sändningebud från Konungen i Skottland, eller någon af dess parti, och i fall någon sådan skulle komma, at Edar Maj:ts tjenare må få den lyckan at därom underrättas.«

Drottn. »Men hvad ville J väl i sådan händelse göra?«

Wh. »I anledning af den vänskap, som är emellan Edar Maj:t och Republiquen, hoppas jag, at Edar Maj:t skulle låta öfvertala sig at ej emottaga en sådan man; och det förtroende Parlamentet för mig haft, förbinder mig at protestera emot et sådant sändningebud.«

Drottn. »Det skulle af Eder vara nog tiltagset, dock föreställer jag mig, at J därtil har befallning; men jag tror at J aldrig får anledning därtil, och hvad BALENDINE angår, så är han i min tjenst.«

Wh. »Ja! Jag hoppas at jag ej får anledning därtil.«

Drottn. »Hvilke äro de särskilte omständigheter, rörande den föreslagne friden, J hafven at föreställa mig?«

Wh. »Jag har dem här skriftlige.«

Contemporary Swedish translation of the conversation (my own):

Kristina: »Tillhör dessa fartyg Republiken eller enskilda personer? Och används de av Staten när de har tillfälle, som vid denna tidpunkt?«

Whitelocke: »De är alla Statens egna skepp, byggda och inredda på offentlig bekostnad, och de är utställda endast för denna vintervakt. Staten har många fler och större fartyg som tillhör deras flotta, som är reserverade och skall monteras för sommarvakten, förutom många andra som repareras och nybyggs.«

Kristina: »Detta är verkligen en galant flotta, jag är oerhört förtjust över beskrivningen därav. Jag trodde att ingen furste eller stat i världen hade haft en så bra flotta förutom holländarna, som jag tror har fler skepp än England.«

Whitelocke: »Holländarna kan ha fler fartyg eller fartyg än England, särskilt om man räknar med fiskebåtar; men vad gäller krigsfartyg är England inte sämre än någon annan nation. Holländarna tar mer hand om lastfartyg än våld, men de engelska handelsfartygen kan lätt omvandlas till dugliga krigsskepp. Holländarna, fram till deras nuvarande sjökrig med England, hade inte mycket tillfälle för krigsfartyg, ty de var i fred med sina grannar, och desto mindre var de på kontinenten. Men vad beträffar transportfartyg (vars huvudsakliga intresse är handel), hade de lika mycket tillfälle och ett större antal än något annat folk. Men England, Skottland, Irland och vår Republiks herravälde består av öar, vårt främsta försvar är därför i vår flotta, att möta en fiende innan han landar, och våra bästa bålverk är dessa träväggar.«

Kristina: »Ni har anledning till vad Ni säger; några av Era skepp skulle göra goda tjänster för att öppna Sundet. Vilken väg tycker Ni är lämplig att ta för att öppna och frigöra passagen därav?«

Whitelocke: »Det måste nödvändigtvis vara bättre känt för Ers Majestät, som är ju en granne därtill och är mycket intresserad därav, än för mig, som är ju en främling.«

Kristina: »Men jag vill så gärna få veta Er åsikt om det.«

Whitelocke: »Jag tror inte att det är lämpligt att tillåta dansken och holländarna att ställa vilka krav de vill på alla människor i världen som har tillfälle att passera den vägen.«

Kristina: »Den kan inte tas ur deras händer utan med våld.« ...

Kristina: »Tror Ni att republiken England kommer att ge hjälp i den affären?«

Whitelocke: »Madam, jag tror att de kommer att göra det på sådana rättvisa och hedervärda villkor som man kan komma överens om.«

Kristina: »Tror Ni att de kommer att skicka några fartyg för det ändamålet?«

Whitelocke: »Jag tror att de kommer att göra det på lämpliga villkor.«

Kristina: »Vad skulle Ni föreslå som lämpligt att göra i affären?«

Whitelocke: »Jag antar att Ers Majestät inte förväntar sig något förslag från mig i första hand. Men om Ni gärna vill överväga några förslag som hänför sig till den affären, och så att jag kan få dem skriftliga, skall jag skicka dem till mina förmän, från vilka jag snabbt skall få anvisningar däri som är behagliga för båda nationernas intresse, och en slutsats kan därpå fås i denna affär här.«

Kristina: »Par Dieu! Detta förtjänar att beaktas av båda nationerna och berör inte bara dem, utan hela världen också. Men vad tycker Ni om att kejsaren deltar med kungen av Danmark?«

Whitelocke: »Affären handlar huvudsakligen om sjömakten, där kejsaren inte har någon styrka. Och jag tror att Hans Kejserliga Majestät inte kommer att ha någon möjlighet att angripa Ers Majestäts territorier i Tyskland, med hänsyn till hans egna angelägenheter med furstarna och hans grannar.«

Kristina: »Men han kanske hjälper dansken med pengar.«

Whitelocke: »Jag tror att han inte har mycket att spara.«

Kristina: »Kungen av Spanien kan låna dem pengar.«

Whitelocke: »Inte mot England eller Sverige, speciellt för att främja Hollands intressen, även om han borde ha pengar nog förutom för sina egna många tillfällen, vilket jag tror att han inte har.«

Kristina: »Jag antar att holländarna kommer med all sin makt för att hjälpa dansken främst mot England och för att hindra deras intresse i Sundet.«

Whitelocke: »Det gäller dem att göra så, ju snarare nu, ty de är i fientlighet mot oss och i allians med dansken, men detta är att förvänta och försörja, och affären skall komma förr och desto säkrare till ett slut.«

Kristina: »Tror Ni att Er Republik kommer att skicka tillräckligt många skepp för att möta holländarna?«

Whitelocke: »I alla våra angelägenheter hittills har Guds välsignelse varit med vår Republik, och jag tvivlar inte på att våra skepp, förenade med Ers Majestäts, kommer att räcka för att få danskarna eller holländarna att resonera i dessa eller andra hav.«

Kristina: »Jag tror att kungen av Frankrike kommer att hjälpa dem.«

Whitelocke: »Hans flotta är inte särskilt formidabel eller frekvent på Östersjön, och när det gäller landstyrkor kommer de att ha en lång marsch efter att de har gjort slut med prinsen av Condé och deras gamla fiende; inte heller har den kungen mycket pengar till övers.«

Kristina: »Ni talar mycket fullständigt och sanningsenligt om intresset hos de många furstarna och staterna i Europa. Jag tycker mycket om affären och kommer att förbereda ett memorial med några förslag angående den, och jag skall ge Er den att skicka till England; men snabbhet och kraft och hemlighet är nödvändiga häri. Och jag måste uppmana Er att inte bekanta någon med denna diskurs utan bara Er general Cromwell, vars ord jag kommer att lita på; men jag vill inte att denna fråga skall göras känd för någon annan överhuvudtaget. Och jag önskar att Ni inte talar om det till någon av mina egna ministrar eller om något annat som har med Er förhandling att göra än vad jag skall berätta för Er om.«

Whitelocke: »Madam, jag skall troget lyda Ers Majestäts befallningar och inte avslöja någonting av dessa saker utan er tillåtelse.«

Kristina: »Har du inte hört i England att jag skulle gifta mig med kungen av Skottland?«

Whitelocke: »Det har rapporterats så i England, och att brev har gått mellan Ers Majestät och honom för det ändamålet, och att Ers Majestät hade en god tillgivenhet för kungen av Skottland.«

Kristina: »Jag erkänner att det har gått brev mellan oss, men jag skall försäkra Er om att jag inte skall gifta mig med den kungen. Han är en ung man och i ett tillstånd som är tillräckligt sorgligt. Även om jag respekterar honom mycket, skall jag aldrig gifta mig med honom, det kan Ni vara säker på. Men jag vill berätta för Er i hemlighet att kungen av Skottland nyligen skickade ett brev till pfalzgreven, min kusin, och med det sände han ordern med riddare av Strumpebandsorden till pfalzgreven. Men budbäraren hade förståndet att föra det till mig, och när jag såg det och läste brevet, kastade jag det i elden och ville inte låta det överlämnas till min kusin.«

Whitelocke: »Ers Majestät gjorde mycket klokt och betydde därigenom stor försiktighet i Er själv och stor ära och respekt för Republiken England. Jag träffade i Ert hov en av mina landsmän, ingen vän till vår Republik, som jag misstänker kan vara budbäraren.«

Kristina: »Vem var det?«

Whitelocke: »Sir William Ballentine.«

Kristina: »Han var minsann budbäraren, men meddela inte detta till någon annan än till din general.«

Whitelocke: »Jag skall till fullo utföra Ers Majestäts befallningar, och, madam, jag hoppas att Ni inte kommer att besvära Er att ta emot någon offentlig minister eller meddelande från kungen av Skottland eller någon av hans partier; eller, om någon skulle komma, att Er tjänare kan ha äran att få veta det.«

Kristina: »Vad skulle Ni göra om något sådant skulle hända?«

Whitelocke: »Jag hoppas att jag, av skäl och i rätt vänskap med vår Republik, kan segra med Ers Majestät att inte ta emot någon sådan minister eller meddelande, och det ankommer på mig i den plikt och tjänst som jag är skyldig mina överordnade att göra  protestation mot alla sådana meddelanden eller budbärare.«

Kristina: »Det vore en rejäl handling av Er, och jag tror att Ni kan bli befalld att göra det; men jag antar att det inte kommer att finnas någon anledning till det. Det finns ingen sådan budbärare i mitt hov; och när det gäller Ballentine, han är en av mina tjänare.«

Whitelocke: »Jag hoppas att det inte kommer att finnas något tillfälle för det.«

Kristina: »Vilka detaljer har Ni att föreslå mig om detta fördrag?«

Whitelocke: »Madam, jag har dem här i skrift.«


Above: Kristina.


Above: Bulstrode Whitelocke.

No comments:

Post a Comment