Monday, July 27, 2020

Kristina's letter to Archduke Ferdinand Karl of Austria, dated October 10/20 (New Style), 1655

Sources:

Historia della Sacra Real Maestà di Cristina Alessandra Regina di Svetia, page 75, by Count Galeazzo Galdo Priorato, 1656


Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 1, page 489, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751


The history of the sacred and Royal Majesty of Christina Alessandra Queen of Swedland, &c., book 2, translated by John Burbury, 1658


The letter:

Monsieur mon Cousin.
Approchant le Estat di V. A. I'ay creu debuoir l'auertir de mon arriuee, e de la prier d'auoir agrèable, que Ie passe pour aller acheuer le reste dù voyage vers Rome. Ie vous enuoye ce Gentilhomme porteur de la presente e pour dire plus particulierement mes sentiments à V. A. & vous prie de luy adiouster foy, que il vous dira, que Ie suis plus que personne.
Monsieur Mon Cousin
Vostre tres affectione Cousine, & Amie
Christine.
Auguste ce 20. Octob. 1655.

With modernised spelling:

Monsieur mon cousin,
Approchant l'État de Votre Altesse, j'ai cru devoir l'avertir de mon arrivée et de la prier d'avoir agréable que je passe pour aller achever le reste du voyage vers Rome. Je vous envoie ce gentilhomme, porteur de la présente, pour dire plus particulièrement mes sentiments à Votre Altesse; et [je] vous prie de lui ajouter foi [sur ce] qu'il vous dira que je suis, plus que personne,
Monsieur mon cousin,
Votre très affectionnée cousine et amie
Christine.
Auguste, ce 20 octobre 1655.

Arckenholtz's transcript of the letter:

Monsieur Mon Cousin. Approchant de l'Etat de V. A. j'ai crû devoir l'avertir de mon arrivée, & la prier d'avoir agréable, que j'y passe pour achever mon voïage vers Rome. Je vous envoïe ce Gentilhomme porteur de la présente, pour dire plus particulièrement mes sentimens à V. A. & vous prie de lui ajouter foi, sur ce qu'il vous dira, que je suis plus que personne
Monsieur Mon Cousin
Votre très-affectionnée Cousine & Amie
CHRISTINE.
Auguste ce 20. Oct: 1655.

English translation (by Burbury):

Dear Cosen,
I approaching to your Highnesses Dominion, have thought it becoming me to advise you of my arrival, and entreat you to take in good part, that I passe through your Country to go finish the rest of my journey towards Rome. I send you a Gentleman, the Bearer of this, to tell more particularly my minde to your Highnesse, and beseech you to believe him, when he shall inform you, that I am more than any other person,
Dear Cosen,
Your most affectionate Cosen
and friend CHRISTINA.
Auspurge, Octob. 20. 1655.

English translation (my own):

My lord cousin,
Approaching Your Highness's state, I thought I should warn you of my arrival and beg you to find it agreeable that I pass through there to complete my journey to Rome. I send you this gentleman carrying the present letter to express more particularly my feelings to Your Highness and ask you to put faith in him, from what he will tell you, that I am, more than anyone,
My lord cousin,
Your most affectionate cousin and friend
Kristina.
Augusta, October 20, 1655.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Archduke Ferdinand Karl of Austria.

Notes: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

Augusta was the name Kristina used for the German city of Augsburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment