Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Kristina's letter to Seved Bååth, dated March 7/17 (Old Style), 1661

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 2, page 55, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751


The History of Christina: Queen of Sweden, page 209, Jacques Lacombe, 1766


The letter:

Monsieur Bååt. Je suis étonnée du procédé de la Cour, & sachant que j'ai mérité quelque chose de plus doux & le plus civil, je fais un dernier effort pour adoucir la bizarrerie de mes ennemis. Emploïez-vous, auprès du Sénat & faites-le souvenir que s'il m'arrive un affront, la honte en sera pour le Roi & pour l'Etat plus que pour moi. Si les Ministres étrangers n'avoient aucun privilége, je ne me plaindrois pas, mais que je sois traitée plus mal que le plus petit Ministre étranger, c'est ce qui répugne à la Raison, au Droit des Gens & à toutes les Loix divines & humaines. Je ne puis ni ne veux m'opposer à la violence que par des priéres, mais enfin faites-les souvenir de leur propre honneur, & qu'ils se souviennent que quelque malheureuse que je sois, je ne puis jamais devenir leur sujette. Je leur abandonne mon bien & ma vie, & ne demande autre grace, que de pouvoir sortir de Suède sans voir blesser mon honneur & violer le Droit des Gens, qui doit être si sacré envers les personnes de ma condition. Qu'ils m'ôtent plûtôt la vie à moi & à mes gens, & qu'ils se souviennent que la mort me sera moins rigoureuse que le deshonneur & l'affront qu'ils me feront en violant le Droit des Gens en ma personne ou en celles de mes domestiques. Je suis plus criminelle que mes pauvres domestiques, & vous verrez, que je hazarderai la vie pour eux, en conservant ma religion. Que fais-je autre chose que de confirmer tous les jours ce que j'ai promis aux Etats de n'avoir jamais aucune prétention ni espérance à l'avenir, puisqu'il suffit de professer la Religion Catholique pour n'avoir plus rien à espérer en Suède. Au nom de Dieu empêchez que la Nation Suédoise ne se rende abominable par une action si indigne que de manquer de respect à une Princesse qui ne l'a pas méritée. Mais au nom de Dieu hâtez-vous de remettre mon argent, afin que je puisse sortir au plûtôt de ce païs, où je suis si cruellement persécutée; car je vous assure, que si mon argent étoit remis, je ne demeurerois pas une heure en ce lieu, & que j'aimerois mieux mourir misérable ailleurs, que de vivre en Suède sujette à recevoir tous les jours des affronts. J'attendrai vos réponses, & si l'on viole tous droits divins & humains, enfin si l'on oublie ce que l'on me doit, je souffrirai cet affront avec tant de constance, que j'en tirerai de la gloire pour moi & de la honte pour eux, qui sera suivie d'un repentir, qui peut-être leur prendra trop-tôt, & je m'assure que les Etats mêmes, qui ont permis aux Ministres étrangers ce que l'on me dispute à moi, trouveront étranges les procédures de la Régence, & auront peut-être quelque compassion de me voir maltraité[e] contre la raison & le droit des gens, qui sont plus anciens que vos loix, qui vous causeront mille malheurs, que vous ne prévoïez pas à présent, & que le tems vous fera voir, puisqu'elles ne vont qu'à empêcher la grandeur & la prospérité de la Suède. Je souhaiterois de pouvoir la garantir de tous ces malheurs au prix de mon sang & de ma vie. Si vous aimez mon service & mon contentement, tâchez de disposer mes affaires de façon, que je puisse sortir au plûtôt d'ici, car je vous jure sur mon honneur, que dès qu'elles seront rangées je n'y resterai pas une heure.
CHRISTINE ALEXANDRA.
Norköping le 7/17
Mars 1661.

Swedish translation (my own):

Herr Bååth,
Jag är förvånad över hovets uppträdande, och med vetskapen om att jag har förtjänat något sötare och mer civiliserat, gör jag en sista ansträngning för att mildra mina fienders konstigheter. Arbeta med Rådet och påminn dem om att om en förolämpning skulle hända mig, kommer skammen att vara för konungen och för staten mer än för mig. Om utrikesministrarna inte hade några privilegier skulle jag inte klaga, men att jag blev behandlad sämre än den minsta utrikesministern, det är detta som stöter bort förnuftet, nationernas rättigheter och alla gudomliga och mänskliga lagar. Jag kan och kommer inte att motsätta mig våld annat än genom böner, men slutligen få dem att minnas sin egen ära, och få dem att minnas att hur olycklig jag än är, så kan jag aldrig bli deras undersåtarinna. Jag överlämnar min egendom och mitt liv till dem, och ber ingen annan nåd än att få lämna Sverige utan att se min heder skadad och mänskliga rättigheter kränkta, som måste vara så heliga mot människor i mitt tillstånd. Må de hellre ta livet från mig än från mitt folk, må de komma ihåg att döden kommer att vara mindre sträng för mig än den vanära och den kränkning som de kommer att göra mig genom att kränka människors rättigheter i min person eller mina tjänares rättigheter. Jag är mer kriminell än mina stackars tjänare, och Ni kommer att se att jag kommer att riskera mitt liv för dem och behålla min religion. Vad gör jag annat än att varje dag bekräfta det jag har lovat Ständerna att aldrig ha någon pretention eller framtidshopp, eftersom det räcker med att bekänna den katolska religionen för att inte ha något mer att hoppas på i Sverige. I Guds namn, hindra den svenska nationen från att göra sig själv avskyvärd genom en handling så ovärdig att det respekterar en prinsessa som inte har förtjänat det. Men skynda i Guds namn att lämna över mina pengar så att jag istället kan komma ut ur detta land, där jag är så grymt förföljd; ty jag försäkrar Er att om mina pengar återlämnades, så skulle jag inte stanna en timme på denna plats, och att jag hellre skulle dö olycklig någon annanstans än att leva i Sverige med förolämpningar varje dag. Jag kommer att vänta på Era svar, och om alla gudomliga och mänskliga rättigheter kränks, enfin om det som är skyldigt mig glöms bort, kommer jag att utstå denna förolämpning med så mycket konstant att jag kommer att dra ära av den för mig och skam för dem, som kommer att följas av omvändelse, som kanske kommer att ta dem för tidigt, och jag ser till att just de ständer som har tillåtit utrikesministrar denna tvist om mig, kommer att tycka att regentskapets tillvägagångssätt är konstigt och kanske kommer att ha lite medlidande att se mig misshandlade mot förnuft och mänskliga rättigheter, som är äldre än Era lagar, som kommer att orsaka Er tusen olyckor, som Ni inte förutser i nuet, och som tiden kommer att visa Er, eftersom de bara kommer att förhindra Sveriges storhet och välstånd. Jag önskar att jag kunde garantera henne från alla dessa olyckor på bekostnad av mitt blod och mitt liv. Om du älskar min tjänst och min belåtenhet, försök ordna mina angelägenheter så att jag kan ta mig härifrån istället, ty jag svär Er på min ära att så snart de är i ordning, så stannar jag inte där en timme.
Kristina Alexandra.
Norrköping, den 7/17 mars 1661.

Partial English translation (by Lacombe):

The proceedings of the court of Sweden astonish me! Well assured that I have merited civiller treatment, I make this last effort to soften the disposition of my inveterate enemies — If the ministers of foreign princes did not enjoy this very privilege, I should not complain; but to be treated with greater indignity than the most insignificant envoy, is a rebellion against reason, as it wounds the rights of mankind, and is repugnant to all laws divine and human — In the name of God, do not suffer my country to become an abomination to the earth, by the guile of so shameful an action! and prevent an instance of such unexampled disrespect to a princess who never deserved it — Since to profess the same faith with people on the other side the mountain, is an objection sufficient to destroy all hope of succession in Sweden, what could I do more to satisfy the states than give them a confirmation of relinquishing all future pretensions to the crown? Endeavour to dispose my affairs in a manner that may allow me to depart with all possible expedition; when they are settled, I will not remain a moment longer in this place.

English translation (my own):

Lord Bååth,
I am amazed at the Court's conduct, and knowing that I have deserved something sweeter and more civil, I make a last effort to soften the strangeness of my enemies. Work with the Senate, and remind them that if an affront should happen to me, the shame will be for the King and for the State more than for me. If the foreign ministers had no privileges, I wouldn't complain, but that I was treated worse than the smallest foreign minister, this is what repels reason, the rights of nations and all divine and human laws. I cannot and will not oppose violence except by prayers, but finally make them remember their own honour, and make them remember that however unhappy I am, I can never become their subject. I surrender my property and my life to them, and ask no other grace than to be able to leave Sweden without seeing my honour injured and human rights violated, which must be so sacred towards people of my condition. May they rather take the life from me than from my people, may they remember that death will be less rigourous to me than the dishonour and the affront that they will make me by violating the rights of the people in my person or those of my servants. I am more criminal than my poor servants, and you will see that I will risk my life for them, keeping my religion. What am I doing other than confirming every day what I have promised to the Estates never to have any pretension or hope for the future, since it is enough to profess the Catholic religion to have nothing more to hope for in Sweden. In the name of God, prevent the Swedish nation from making herself abominable by an action so unworthy as to disrespect a princess who has not deserved it. But in the name of God, hurry to hand over my money so that I can instead get out of this country, where I am so cruelly persecuted; because I assure you that if my money were returned, I would not remain an hour in this place, and that I would rather die miserable elsewhere than to live in Sweden subject to receiving insults every day. I will wait for your answers, and if all divine and human rights are violated, enfin if what is owed me is forgotten, I will suffer this affront with so much constancy that I will draw glory from it for me and shame for them, which will be followed by repentance, which perhaps will take them too soon, and I make sure that the very Estates which have allowed foreign ministers this dispute on me, will find the procedures of the regency strange, and will perhaps have some compassion to see me mistreated against reason and human rights, which are older than your laws, which will cause you a thousand misfortunes, which you do not foresee in present, and which time will show you, since they will only prevent the greatness and prosperity of Sweden. I wish I could guarantee her from all these misfortunes at the cost of my blood and my life. If you love my service and my contentment, try to arrange my affairs so that I can get out of here instead, for I swear to you on my honour that as soon as they are in order, I will not stay there for an hour.
Kristina Alexandra.
Norrköping, March 7/17, 1661.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Governor General Seved Bååt.

No comments:

Post a Comment