Sunday, October 9, 2022

Kristina's letter to Juan Tomás Enríquez de Cabrera, Count Melgar in hopes of Abbot Maschera being allowed to return to Milan from his exile, dated August 4, 1685

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 52, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 4. Août 1685.
Mon Cousin, j'ai des raisons assez fortes de vous recommander l'Abbé Machera, pour lui faire obtenir de vous la grace de son retour à Milan, après l'exil qu'il a souffert durant sept mois avec une exacte obéissance à vos ordres. Je vous prie d'avoir pitié de lui, & de le remettre en vos bonnes graces par égard pour mes offices. Je vous assure que je vous en serai obligée, & je me sers de cette occasion pour vous renouveller l'amitié & l'estime que je conserve pour votre personne. Je prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 4 augusti 1685.
Min kusin,
Jag har tillräckligt starka skäl att rekommendera abbot Machera till Er, för att få av Er nåden att han återvände till Milano efter den exil som han har lidit under sju månader, med exakt lydnad mot Era befallningar. Jag ber Er att benåda Er honom och att sätta honom tillbaka i Er goda nåd av hänsyn till mina tjänster. Jag försäkrar Er att jag kommer att vara skyldig mot Er, och jag använder detta tillfälle för att förnya den vänskap och den aktning jag har för Er person. Jag ber till Gud att han har Er i sin heliga vård.

English translation (my own):

August 4, 1685.
My cousin,
I have strong enough reasons to recommend Abbot Machera to you, to obtain from you the grace of his return to Milan after the exile he has suffered for seven months, with exact obedience to your orders. I beg you to have pity on him, and to put him back in your good graces out of regard for my services. I assure you that I will be obliged to you, and I am using this opportunity to renew for you the friendship and the esteem that I have for your person. I pray to God that He have you in His holy keeping.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Juan Tomás Enríquez de Cabrera, Count Melgar.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment