Monday, January 23, 2023

Kristina's letter to the Marquis of St. Thomas, dated July 24, 1685

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 136, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 24. Juillet 1685.
Monsieur le Marquis de St. Thomas, on m'a rendu compte de l'affection & du zéle que vous avez témoigné pour mon service, quand il a été question de faire résoudre S. A. R. votre Maître à me satisfaire sur ce qui se passe en cette Cour à mon égard; mais voyant le peu d'effet que l'amitié du Prince votre Maître, & vos soins ont produit, je me suis résolue à lui écrire moi-même là-dessus, pour tâcher d'obtenir ses derniéres résolutions en ma faveur. Je vous prie de lui représenter qu'on ne peut me refuser plus long-tems les devoirs qui me sont dûs, sans m'offenser mortellement, & que ma patience étant enfin poussée à bout, il est tems de finir l'affaire. Je jugerai par la réponse, de ce que je dois me promettre de l'amitié de votre Maître, & réglerai la mienne sur ses sentimens. Je serois bien fâchée qu'ils fussent réglés sur ceux qui sont gouvernés par le Cardinal d'Estrées, unique auteur des cabales mal tissues de cette Cour. Je m'assure qu'on fera ses efforts pour changer entiérement les bonnes dispositions de votre Cour, puisqu'on a en assez d'autorité pour différer l'exécution de ses ordres. C'est ce que les d'Estrées font croire ici. Mais ayant vu qu'en d'autres occasions S. A. R. a su user en Prince libre & souverain, & de la maniére glorieuse dont doit en user un jeune Héros, j'espére qu'il se fera obéir, & connoître aussi tel en cette occasion, afin de se conserver l'estime & l'amitié que j'ai pour sa personne; & je vous saurai gré de tout ce que vous contribuerez à l'heureux succès de cette affaire, comme vous avez fait jusqu'ici. Je prie Dieu qu'il vous fasse prospérer.
Christina Alexandra.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 24 juli 1685.
Monsieur le marquis de St. Thomas,
Jag har gjorts medveten om den tillgivenhet och nit Ni visat för min tjänst, då det gällde att få hans Kungliga Höghet, Er herre, att besluta att tillfredsställa mig om vad som sker i detta hov med avseende på mig; men då jag såg den ringa effekt som vänskapen mellan prinsen, Er herre, och Er uppmärksamhet har framkallat, har jag bestämt mig för att själv skriva till honom i ämnet för att försöka få fram hans sista beslut till min fördel. Jag ber Er att framhålla för honom att man inte längre kan vägra mig de plikter som åligger mig utan att förolämpa mig dödligt, och att mitt tålamod äntligen har tagit slut, är det dags att avsluta affären. Jag skall bedöma efter svaret vad jag måste lova mig själv om Er herres vänskap, och jag kommer att reglera min efter hans känslor. Jag vore mycket ledsen om de reglerades av dem som styrs av kardinal d'Estrées, den ende författaren till detta hovs dåligt vävda kabaler. Jag försäkrar mig att ansträngningar kommer att göras för att helt förändra Ert hovs goda dispositioner, eftersom man har tillräcklig befogenhet att skjuta upp verkställandet av sina befallningar. Det här är vad d'Estrées får en att tro här. Men efter att ha sett att Hans Kungliga Höghet vid andra tillfällen har kunnat använda den som en fri och suverän furste och på det härliga sätt som en ung hjälte bör använda den, hoppas jag att han kommer att göra sig lydad och känd som sådan på detta tillfälle för att bevara den aktning och den vänskap som jag har för hans person; och jag skall vara Er tacksam för allt Ni kommer att bidra till denna affärs lyckliga framgång, som Ni hittills har gjort. Jag ber till Gud att han välsigne Er.
Kristina Alexandra.

English translation (my own):

July 24, 1685.
Monsieur le marquis de St. Thomas,
I have been made aware of the affection and zeal you have shown for my service, when it was a question of making His Royal Highness, your master, resolve to satisfy me on what is happening in this court with regard to me; but seeing the little effect that the friendship of the Prince, your master, and your attentions have produced, I have resolved to write to him myself on the subject, to try to obtain his last resolutions in my favour. I beg you to represent to him that one can no longer refuse me the duties which are due to me without mortally offending me, and that my patience having finally been exhausted, it is time to finish the affair. I will judge by the answer what I must promise myself of your master's friendship, and I will regulate mine according to his feelings. I would be very sorry if they were regulated by those who are governed by Cardinal d'Estrées, the sole author of the ill-woven cabals of this court. I assure myself that efforts will be made to completely change the good dispositions of your court, as one has enough authority to defer the execution of his orders. This is what the d'Estrées make one believe here. But having seen that on other occasions His Royal Highness has been able to use as a free and sovereign prince, and in the glorious manner in which a young hero should use it, I hope that he will make himself obeyed and known as such on this occasion in order to preserve the esteem and the friendship that I have for his person; and I shall be grateful to you for all that you will contribute to the happy success of this affair, as you have done hitherto. I pray to God that He bless you.
Kristina Alexandra.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment