Saturday, October 9, 2021

Kristina's letters to Count Jacques II d'Alibert, dated February 22, 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, pages 303 and 304, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Le 22. Février 1668.
Je vous envoye une Lettre pour Danese, rendez-la en main propre, & observez sa contenance pour m'en rendre compte. J'attends de vous la relation des divertissemens de Rome du Carnaval, des Chasses, des Mascarades, & autres Galanteries; soyez ponctuel, & ne craignez pas d'être long; car tout ce qui regarde Rome ne peut pas m'ennuyer. Dites-moi aussi sincérement, si mes appartemens, meubles, & peintures ont plû à l'Ambassadeur & à l'Ambassadrice de France. On m'a dit que la de Brun, qui est avec elle, est celle-là même que j'ai vue danser dans les Bals du Roi de France. Je voudrois savoir si cela est vrai, car j'en serois ravie, cette fille étant de ma connoissance.

...

Le 22. Février 1668.
J'ai reçu vos deux Lettres, & suis fort satisfaite de vos nouvelles. J'attends avec impatience la Relation du Sr. Polmon, dont vous me parlez. Ce nouveau venu m'obligeroit fort de m'instruire, quoique je sois persuadée qu'il ne me dira rien de nouveau; mais il y a toujours plaisir à écouter, quand on le peut, sans dépenser de l'argent. Rendez-moi un compte exact de sa personne, & des conversations de Rome, particuliérement de celles qui se font dans la Maison Rospigliosi; car c'est la partie dont je pourrois être un jour à mon retour. Nommez-moi aussi les Cardinaux & les Dames qui ont été de la Chasse de Bourgaise. Enfin soyez exact, & n'oubliez pas l'histoire du balcon, & de toutes les intrigues de femmes qui sont à Rome; car c'est me faire agréablement la cour, que de m'en instruire.

English translations (my own):

February 22, 1668.
I am sending you a letter for Danese, hand it over to her, and watch her countenance to realise it. I expect from you the report of the entertainments of Rome of the Carnival, the hunts, the masquerades, and other gallantries; be punctual, and don't be afraid to be long, because all that concerns Rome cannot bore me. Tell me also sincerely, if my apartments, furniture, and paintings have pleased the Ambassador and Ambassadress of France. I have been told that the de Brun, who is with her, is the very one I have seen dancing at the balls of the King of France. I would like to know if this is true, because I would be delighted, this girl being to my knowledge.

...

February 22, 1668.
I have received your two letters, and am very satisfied with your news. I look forward to the relation of Sir Polmon, of which you speak to me. This newcomer would force me to educate myself, although I am convinced that he will not tell me anything new; but there is always pleasure in listening, when you can, without spending money. Give me an exact account of his person, and of the conversations in Rome, particularly those which take place in the House of Rospigliosi, because this is the part that I might one day be on my return. Name me also the Cardinals and the ladies who were in the Hunt of Bourgaise. Finally, be exact, and do not forget the history of the balcony, and of all the intrigues of the women who are in Rome, for it is to court me agreeably to instruct me.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment