Monday, October 11, 2021

Kristina's letter to the Governor General Jöran Gyllenstierna, with a postscript in her/his/their own handwriting, dated July 20/30 (Old Style), 1679

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 2, page 163, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751


The letter:

Monsieur le Gouverneur Général. Je vous fais savoir par la présente, que d'accord avec S. M. le Roi, j'ai consenti au sujèt de mes Domaines (la ville de Norköping y non comprise) à la transaction que vous verrez par l'instrument ci joint: C'est à votre zèle sincère, à votre fidélité & à vos seuls soins en mon service, que je confie tous mes intêréts à cet égard. Je vous ai donné par-là occasion de réparer ce qu'on pouvoit imputer aux conjonctures d'y avoir mis d'obstacle dans le passé. J'espère que, comme ma grace envers vous & les vôtres est inébranlable, je ne me tromperai pas dans la confiance, que j'ai, que vous la mériterez par des effèts, & que j'y trouverai tout l'avantage qu'il vous sera possible de m'en procurer, ce que je me promèts de votre droiture, sachant que ma bienveillance & votre devoir l'éxigent de vous & que le zèle & le soin infatigable que vous aurez à me satisfaire, tournera aussi à votre propre avantage.

Cedercrantz qui va présentement à Paris pour mes commissions & ira en Suède, vous apportera, entr'autres, un Mémoire sur ce que je veux que vous fassiez pour mon service. Il vous apprendra de bouche ma volonté sur chose & autre, sur quoi vous le croirez. Vous éxécuterez le tout selon mes souhaits avec tel empressement que je sois satisfaite de vous, & que j'aïe sujèt d'attribuer à vos soins la juste satisfaction que je m'en promèts. Avant toutes choses faites ensorte, que mes prétentions auprès du Roi & de la Couronne sortissent un prompt effèt en conséquence dudit Mémoire. Je voudrois bien que vous fussiez présent quand Cedercrantz aura Audience du Roi. Vous pourrez convenir entre vous là-dessus & pour vous obliger d'autant plus à vous acquitter bien de votre devoir, je vous fais présent de six mille Ecus de ce que Bauman me doit païer pour l'admodiation de mes Domaines en Poméranie: & quand je verrai votre assiduité à prendre garde à mes intérêts, comme aussi à liquider & à faire païer les prétentions qui me restent bonnes du Roi & de la Couronne, desorte que j'en puisse être contente, non seulement je vous gratifierai de ce que Bauman me reste devoir, mais encore vous pourriez vous attendre à d'autres marques réelles de ma grace envers vous. Je prie Dieu qu'il vous ait en sa digne garde[.] Rome le 20 Juillet 1679.
CHRISTINE ALEXANDRA
André Galdenblad.

Apostille de la main propre de la Reine.
Je suis fachée de n'être pas en état de vous faire plus de bien, je suis si disposée à vous faire de plus grandes graces, & vous n'avez qu'à souhaiter, & je ne saurois avoir de plus grande joïe que de combler de mes bienfaits ceux qui le méritent, aussi bien que vous. Priez Dieu que je sois en état de le pouvoir.

English translation (my own):

Sir Governor General,
I hereby inform you that in agreement with His Majesty the King, I have consented in respect of my estates (not including the city of Norrköping) to the transaction which you will see by the attached instrument. It is to your sincere zeal for your fidelity and your only care in my service that I entrust all my interests in this regard. I have given you in that way the opportunity to repair what could be attributed to the circumstances of having put an obstacle to it in the past. I hope that, as my grace towards you and yours is unshakeable, I will not be mistaken in the confidence which I have that you will merit it by effects, and that I will find there all the advantage that it it will be possible for you to procure some, which I promise myself of your uprightness, knowing that my benevolence and your duty require it of you and that the zeal and the tireless care which you will have to satisfy me, will also turn to your own advantage.

Cederkrantz, who is currently going to Paris for my commissions and will go to Sweden, will bring you, among others, a memorandum on what I want you to do for my service. He will let you know by mouth my will on one thing and another, on which you will believe it. You will carry out everything according to my wishes with such eagerness that I should be satisfied with you, and that I have reason to attribute to your care the just satisfaction that I promise myself. Before all things done, ensure that my claims to the King and the Crown come into effect promptly in consequence of the said memorandum. I would like you to be present when Cederkrantz has an audience with the King. You will be able to come to an agreement among yourselves on this and to oblige you all the more to discharge your duty well, I make you a present of six thousand crowns of what Baumann owes me for the administration of my domains in Pomerania; and when I see your assiduity in taking care of my interests, as also in liquidating and paying the claims which remain good to me of the King and the Crown, so that I may be happy, not only I will gratify you of this which Baumann remains owed to me, but still you might expect other real marks of my grace to you. I pray God that He have you in His worthy care. Rome, July 20, 1679.
Kristina Alexandra.
Andreas Galdenblad.

I am sorry that I am not in a position to do you more good, I am so disposed to do you greater graces, and you have only to wish, and I could not have greater joy than to fill those who deserve it with my blessings, as well as you. Pray to God that I be able to do it.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Jöran Gyllenstierna.

No comments:

Post a Comment