Saturday, October 9, 2021

Kristina's letter to Count Friedrich I von Steinberg, with a postscript in her/his/their own handwriting, year 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 301, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

J'ai reçu presque en même tems vos deux Lettres du 26. & du 30. du passé, dans lesquelles j'ai fort bien remarqué le zéle & l'affection que vous avez toujours eu pour mon service, dont je vous remercie. Quant aux propositions que vous me faites, vous devez être persuadé qu'il me sera très-agréable que vous travailliez à faire connoître en Suède la vérité de mes sentimens, qui sont d'aimer en tout tems, & en tout lieu, le Roi & le Royaume; & vous connoissant pour honnête & habile homme, je ne doute pas que vous n'agissiez en cela de la maniére la plus propre, & que vous n'employiez les termes les plus convenables. Au reste vous ne devez pas douter aussi du soin que j'aurai de vous témoigner par des effets ma reconnoissance, mais maintenant je ne suis pas en état de vous accorder ce que vous me demandez; ayez pourtant patience, car j'espére de pouvoir vous contenter d'une autre façon. Vous pouvez me continuer ici vos Lettres, étant résolue de m'y arrêter cet hiver, pour veiller à mes intérêts, puisqu'on a commencé en Suède à faire des attentats envers ceux de Poméranie; & je prie Dieu &c.

P. S. Ayez un peu de patience, & ne me forcez pas à vous refuser des graces; car c'est avec une extrême douleur que j'y suis obligée, puisqu'en Suède on me traite si cruellement que je ne crois pas que j'aurai moi-même de quoi vivre.

English translation (my own):

I received almost at the same time your two letters of the 26th and 30th of last month, in which I very clearly noticed the zeal and affection which you have always had for my service, for which I thank you. As for the proposals you make to me, you must be persuaded that it will be very agreeable to me if you work to make known in Sweden the truth of my feelings, which are to love the King and the realm at all times and in all places; and knowing you to be an honest and skillful man, I have no doubt that you are doing this in the most proper way, and that you use the most suitable terms. Besides, you must not doubt also the care I will take to show you my gratitude by effects, but now I am not in a position to grant you what you ask of me; have patience, however, for I hope to be able to satisfy you in another way. You can continue your letters to me here, being resolved to stop there this winter, to look after my interests, since they have begun in Sweden to carry out attacks against those of Pomerania; and I pray to God, etc.

P. S. Have a little patience, and do not force me to refuse you graces, because it is with extreme pain that I am obliged to do so, since in Sweden I am treated so cruelly that I do not believe that I will have enough to live on myself.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment