Monday, October 11, 2021

Kristina's undeciphered letter to Bernhard von Rosenbach, dated July 31, 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 313, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


NOTE: Arckenholtz was unable to find the key to the cipher Kristina used in this letter, so it has probably not survived.

The letter:

Hambourg, le 31. Juillet 1668.
J'ai reçu votre Lettre du 18. de ce mois, par laquelle j'ai appris avec joye que vous avez fait présenter le Mémoire au Roi, & aux Etats; & vous avez bien fait de communiquer aussi votre Instruction au Grand-Chancelier, puisqu'il vous l'a demandée, & je vous en avois donné l'ordre; mais ayant fait réflexion à ce que vous me dites, qu'il ne voyoit pas dans la Copie tous les points que vous avez expliqué dans votre Mémoire, je trouve que par la presse d'avoir la copie, on a oublié d'y mettre le point qui concerne mon retour de Norkoping, & qui est dans votre Instruction. Si l'on vous parle là-dessus, vous pouvez vous en excuser sur la faute de l'Ecrivain.

Je suis ravie de voir l'état que vous faites 0776185, dont je vous ai ordonné de vous servir pour gouverner 44701379744644; car comme il a eu une très-grande affection pour son 60949194, il se laisse aussi conduire par lui.

Puisque la Reine-Mére a témoigné souhaiter que je lui écrivisse une Lettre de ma main, je vous en envoye une, vous ordonnant de l'accompagner des expressions les plus vives & les plus tendres de mon amitié que vous pourrez imaginer. Je suis ravie de voir qu'elle a changé de procédure avec vous, non pas tant pour la chose même, que par ce qu'elle signifie, & je suis fort trompée si cela n'est d'un bon augure pour mes affaires, qui me succéderont à souhait. J'attens avec impatience les nouvelles du sort qu'aura eu votre Mémoire, & ne me remets à mes précédentes, & à ce que vous a écrit D. M. Santini par mon ordre. Dieu vous conserve.
Christine Alessandra.

English translation (my own):

Hamburg, July 31, 1668.
I received your letter of the 18th of this month, by which I learned with joy that you had the memorial presented to the King, and to the Estates; and you did well to communicate your instruction to the Grand Chancellor as well, since he asked for it, and I had given you the order; but having reflected on what you tell me, that he does not see in the copy all the points that you have explained in your memorandum, I find that by the press to have the copy, one forgot to put the point concerning my return from Norrköping, and which is in your instruction. If anyone talks to you about it, you can apologise for the writer's fault.

I am delighted to see the state you make 0776185, which I ordered you to use to govern 44701379744644; for as he had a very great affection for his 60949194, he also allowed himself to be led by him.

Since the Queen Mother has testified that she wished me to write her a letter with my own hand, I am sending you one, ordering you to accompany it with the most lively and tender expressions of my friendship that you can imagine. I am delighted to see that she has changed her procedure with you, not so much for the thing itself, but for what it means, and I am greatly mistaken if this does not bode well for my affairs, which will succeed me at will. I await with impatience the news of the fate that your memorandum will have had, and do not put myself back to my previous ones, and to what Don M. Santini wrote to you by my order. God preserve you.
Kristina Alexandra.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment