Friday, August 9, 2024

Letter to Kristina from Father Goswin Nickel, dated October 20/30 (New Style), 1652

Source:

Christine de Suède (Suite), article written by Father J. Burnichon for Études religieuses, historiques et littéraires: vingt-quatrième année, sixième série, tome cinquième, pages 865 to 866, published by the Fathers of the Company of Jesus, 1880


The letter (translated into French from the original Italian or Latin by Father Burnichon):

Dernièrement nous avons eu ici notre Ascanio. J'ai su par lui des nouvelles de la bonne santé de Votre Majesté, dont je me réjouis beaucoup, comme aussi de l'extrême bonté dont Elle se plaît à user envers lui et envers moi et de laquelle je suis infiniment reconnaissant. J'ai donné à Ascanio tout ce qui était nécessaire pour son retour, et s'il n'est point encore arrivé, assurément il ne peut être loin. Votre Majesté saura de lui avec quelle ardeur je me suis employé à exécuter ses ordres, et combien je suis disposé à le faire encore, avec l'aide de Dieu.

Je n'écris pas au signor Arnoldo, parce que sa lettre du 21 septembre m'apprend qu'il n'est plus là-bas. Je souhaite à Votre Majesté tout le bonheur désirable, et si je puis lui être utile en quelque chose encore, qu'elle veuille bien me le faire savoir.

Swedish translation (my own):

Nyligen hade vi vår Ascanio här. Jag har av honom lärt mig om Eders Majestäts goda hälsa, för vilket jag är mycket glad, samt om den yttersta vänlighet som Ni gärna visar mot honom och mot mig och för vilken jag är oändligt tacksam. Jag har givit Ascanio allt som behövs för hans återkomst, och om han ännu inte har kommit, kan han verkligen inte vara långt borta. Ers Majestät kommer att få veta av honom med vilken iver jag har arbetat för att utföra hans order och hur villig jag är att göra det igen, med Guds hjälp.

Jag skriver inte till signor Arnoldo, ty hans brev av den 21 september säger mig att han inte längre är där. Jag önskar Ers Majestät all önskvärd lycka, och om jag kan vara till ytterligare nytta för Er, snälla meddela mig det.

English translation (my own):

Recently we had our Ascanio here. I have learned from him of Your Majesty's good health, for which I am very happy, as well as of the extreme kindness which you are pleased to show towards him and towards me and for which I am infinitely grateful. I have given Ascanio everything necessary for his return, and if he has not yet arrived, he certainly cannot be far away. Your Majesty will know from him with what ardour I have worked to carry out his orders and how willing I am to do so again, with the help of God.

I am not writing to Signor Arnoldo, because his letter of September 21 tells me that he is no longer there. I wish Your Majesty all desirable happiness, and if I can be of further use to you, please let me know.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Father Goswin Nickel.

Note: Ascanio = Father Paolo Casati.

No comments:

Post a Comment