Saturday, July 16, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Manuel Texeira, year 1677

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 429, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The postscript:

Nous avons ici la nouvelle que le Prince d'Orange a été battu. Ce coup fatal me paroît mortel pour les Alliés & les Païs-Bas, & je crois que l'Angleterre se réveillera trop tard.

Swedish translation (my own):

Här har vi nyheten att prinsen av Orange har besegrats. Detta ödesdigert slag förefaller mig dödligt för de allierade och Nederländerna, och jag tror att England kommer att vakna för sent.

English translation (my own):

Here we have the news that the Prince of Orange has been defeated. This fatal blow seems to me deadly for the Allies and the Netherlands, and I believe that England will wake up too late.


Above: Kristina.


Above: William (Willem), Prince of Orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment