Saturday, July 16, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Manuel Texeira, dated March 5, 1678

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 430, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The postscript:

Nous sommes avertis ici que la Guerre est déclarée entre l'Angleterre & la France, ce dont je n'ai jamais douté. Nous verrons l'effet que cela produira. Pour moi je crois ce que j'ai toujours cru, que la Paix sera honteuse pour la France. Il me fâche que la Suède partage la honte & la perte: mais patience, ils l'ont mérité.

Swedish translation (my own):

Vi varnas här för att krig förklaras mellan England och Frankrike, vilket jag aldrig har tvivlat på. Vi får se vilken effekt detta kommer att få. För mig själv tror jag på det jag alltid har trott: att fred kommer att vara skamligt för Frankrike. Det retar mig att Sverige delar skammen och förlusten; men tålamod, de har förtjänat det.

English translation (my own):

We are warned here that war is declared between England and France, which I have never doubted. We will see what effect this will have. For myself, I believe what I have always believed: that peace will be shameful for France. It angers me that Sweden shares the shame and the loss; but patience, they have deserved it.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment