Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Bernhard von Rosenbach, dated December 18, 1677

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 413, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Du 18. Décembre 1677.
Ne manquez pas de faire payer à Bomann, & à tous les autres, ce qu'ils me doivent, & envoyez le tout à Texeira; ne donnez quartier à personne, & souvenez-vous que la nécessité où je suis étant extrême, le service de me faire toucher de l'argent, sera signalé dans les conjonctures présentes. Le bon Dieu soit loué & du bien, & du mal, comme je l'en remercie de tout mon cœur. Je me porte bien, & suis aussi gaye & contente que si j'avois toute la puissance & tous les trésors du Monde.

Swedish translation (my own):

18 december 1677.
Se till att få Boman och alla andra att betala vad de är skyldiga mig, och skicka allt till Texeira; skona ingen, och kom ihåg att eftersom den nödvändighet jag befinner mig i är extrem, kommer tjänsten att låta mig ta emot pengar vara stor i de nuvarande konjunkturerna. Den gode Guden prisas både på gott och ont, ty jag tackar honom av hela mitt hjärta. Jag mår bra och är lika glad och nöjd som om jag hade all makt och alla skatter i världen.

English translation (my own):

December 18, 1677.
Be sure to make Boman and all the others pay what they owe me, and send it all to Texeira; spare no one, and remember that as the necessity in which I am is extreme, the service of letting me receive money will be great in the present conjunctures. The good God be praised both for good and for bad, as I thank Him with all my heart. I am well, and am as cheerful and contented as though I had all the power and all the treasures in the world.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment