Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Relation of what happened between Kristina and Dietrich Kleihe, with a postscript in Kristina's own handwriting, dated February 23, 1669

Sources:

Christine de Suède et la cardinal Azzolino. Lettres inédites (1666-1668), Carl Bildt, 1899


Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 401, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The relation:

RELATION DE CE QUI SE PASSA SUR LE SUJET DE LA COMMISSION DE KLEIHE.
Kleihe arriva à Hambourg le jour devant que j'en partis; il fut introduit auprès de moi après qu'il m'eut fait connaître qu'il avait ordre et commission de me parler de la part du Roi son maître. Il me harangua longuement et employa beaucoup de paroles inutiles pour me persuader que je ne devais pas aller en Suède, me disant que le Roi son maître avait de fortes considérations qui l'obligeaient à m'empêcher l'entrée du royaume pendant sa minorité, [et] qu'il l'avait envoyé pour me déclarer la résolution qu'il avait prise là-dessus. Car, voyant l'amour, l'estime et l'affection universelle de la Suède envers ma personne, il se sentait obligé, en bonne politique, de craindre une reine qui était redoutable pour lui, puisqu'elle possédait encore à présent les cœurs de ses sujets. Il m'offrit, au reste, de la part du Roi son maître, toutes les provinces conquises, pour y choisir tel lieu qu'il me plairait pour ma résidence, m'assurant que son intention était de m'y faire rendre tous les honneurs et respects qui me sont dus. — Voilà, à peu près, le contenu de sa harangue, qu'il n'osera nier s'il n'est le dernier homme de la terre.

Je lui répondis: «Vous direz au Roi votre maître, de ma part, que je pars demain pour Rome, que je n'ai pas eu la pensée d'aller en Suède, mais que je ne crois pas avoir mérité d'en être bannie, car je m'assure que l'intention de la Suède n'est pas qu'on me fasse un tel outrage. Je vous prie de remercier le Roi d'avoir voulu m'assurer, par un si authentique témoignage, de la gloire que j'ai d'être estimée en Suède. On a tort d'en être jaloux; et j'espère que mon absence guérira les gens des terreurs paniques que ma présence leur a données. Vous pourrez assurer le Roi que, faisant ma gloire de l'amour de la Suède, je m'efforcerai de ne m'en rendre pas indigne, et que tout ce que vous venez me dire de fâcheux de sa part ne m'empêchera pas de lui conserver mon amitié, ni d'aimer la Suède et ses intérêts avec tendresse jusqu'à la mort.»

Voilà tout le détail de ce qui se passa à Hambourg le soir avant que j'en partis, et je soutiens pour faux tout ce qui se trouvera contraire ou divers de ce que contient cette relation.
Rome, ce 23 février 1669.

P. S. — La lettre que j'écrivis au roi de Suède fut conçue dans les mêmes sentiments, et j'en désavoue toute autre sinistre explication.
CHRISTINE ALEXANDRE.
M. SANTINI.

Arckenholtz's transcript of the relation:

Du 23. Février 1669.
Clay arrives à Hambourg le jour avant que j'en partisse. Il fut introduit auprès de moi, après qu'il m'eut fait connoître qu'il avoit ordre & commission de me parler de la part du Roi son Maître. Il me harangua longuement, & employa beaucoup de paroles inutiles pour me persuader que je ne devois pas aller en Suède, me disant que le Roi son Maître avoit de fortes raisons qui l'obligeoient à m'empêcher l'entrée du Royaume pendant sa Minorité; qu'il l'avoit envoyé pour me déclarer la résolution qu'il avoit prise là-dessus; car voyant l'amour, l'estime, & l'affection universelle de la Suède pour moi, il se sentoit obligé en bonne politique de craindre une Reine qui étoit redoutable pour lui, puisqu'elle possédoit encore à-présent le cœur de ses Sujets. Il m'offrit au-reste, de la part du Roi son Maître, toutes les Provinces conquises pour y choisir tel lieu qu'il me plaîroit pour y résider, m'assurant que son intention étoit de m'y faire rendre tous les honneurs & respects qui me sont dûs. Voilà à peu près le contenu de sa Harangue, qu'il n'osera nier, à moins que d'être le dernier homme de la Terre.

Je lui répondis, «Vous direz de ma part au Roi votre Maître, que je pars demain pour Rome; que je n'ai pas en la pensée d'aller en Suède, mais que je ne crois pas avoir mérité d'en être bannie; car je m'assure que l'intention de la Suède n'est pas qu'on me fasse un tel outrage. Je vous prie de remercier le Roi d'avoir voulu m'assurer par un témoignage si authentique de la gloire que j'ai d'être estimée en Suède. On a tort d'en être jaloux, & j'espére que mon absence guérira les gens des terreurs paniques que ma présence leur a données. Vous pourrez assurer le Roi que faisant ma gloire de l'amour de la Suède, je m'efforcerai à ne m'en rendre pas indigne, & que tout ce que vous pouvez me dire de fâcheux de sa part, ne m'empêchera pas de lui conserver mon amitié, ni d'aimer la Suède & ses intérêts avec tendresse jusqu'à la mort.» Voilà tout le détail de ce qui se passa à Hambourg le soir avant que j'en partisse, & je tiens pour faux tout ce qui se trouvera contraire à ce que contient cette Relation.

P. S. di pugno di S. M.
La Lettre que j'écrivis au Roi de Suède, étoit conçue dans les mêmes sentimens, & j'en desavoue toute autre sinistre explication.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 23 februari 1669.
Kleihe anlände till Hamburg dagen innan jag åkte. Han presenterades för mig, sedan han hade låtit mig veta att han hade befallning och uppdrag att tala med mig å konungen hans herres vägnar. Han anförde mig länge och använde många meningslösa ord för att övertyga mig om att jag inte skulle bege mig till Sverige, och berättade att konungen, hans herre, hade starka skäl som förpliktade honom att hindra mig från att komma in i riket under sin minoritet; att han hade sänt honom för att för mig förklara det beslut han tagit i ämnet; ty då han såg Sveriges kärlek, aktning och allmänna tillgivenhet för mig, kände han sig skyldig att i god politik frukta en drottning som var formidabel för honom, eftersom hon ännu för närvarande ägde sina undersåtars hjärtan. Han erbjöd mig dessutom, å konungen sin herres vägnar, alla de erövrade provinserna att välja en sådan plats som jag gärna ville bo där, och försäkrade mig om att hans avsikt var att ge mig all den ära och respekt som tillkommer mig. Detta är mer eller mindre innehållet i hans harang, som han inte kommer att våga förneka, om han inte var den siste mannen på jorden.

Jag svarade: »Ni skall säga till konungen, Er herre, å mina vägnar att jag i morgon åker till Rom, att jag inte har för avsikt att resa till Sverige, men att jag inte tror att jag förtjänat att bli förvisad därifrån; försäkra mig själv att det inte är Sveriges avsikt att en sådan förolämpning skall göras mot mig. Jag ber Er tacka konungen för att han genom en sådant autentisk betygelse ville försäkra mig om den ära som jag har att vara aktad i Sverige. Det är fel att vara avundsjuk på det, och jag hoppas att min frånvaro kommer att bota människor från de panikslagna skräck som min närvaro har gett dem. Ni kan försäkra konungen att jag gör min ära av kärleken till Sverige, jag kommer att göra mitt bästa för att inte göra mig ovärdig av det, och att vad som helst besvärande Ni kan säga mig å hans vägnar inte kommer att hindra mig från att bevara min vänskap för honom, inte heller från att älska Sverige och dess intressen med ömhet in i döden.«

Detta är alla detaljer om vad som hände i Hamburg kvällen innan jag reste dit, och jag håller för falskt allt som kommer att hittas i motsats till vad denna rapport innehåller.

P. S.
Brevet som jag skrev till konungen av Sverige var tänkt med samma känslor, och jag förnekar alla andra olycksbådande förklaringar.

English translation (my own):

February 23, 1669.
Kleihe arrived in Hamburg the day before I left. He was introduced to me, after he had let me know that he had orders and commissions to speak to me on behalf of the King, his master. He harangued me at length, and used many useless words to persuade me that I should not go to Sweden, telling me that the King, his master, had strong reasons which obliged him to prevent me from entering the kingdom during his minority; that he had sent him to declare to me the resolution he had taken on the subject; for, seeing Sweden's love, esteem, and universal affection for me, he felt obliged in good politics to fear a Queen who was formidable to him, since she still possessed at present the hearts of her subjects. He offered me, moreover, on behalf of the King, his master, all the conquered provinces to choose such a place as I liked to reside there, assuring me that his intention was to give me all the honour and respect due to me. This is more or less the content of his harangue, which he will not dare to deny, unless he were the last man on earth.

I replied, "You will tell the King, your master, on my behalf that I am leaving tomorrow for Rome, that I have no intention of going to Sweden, but that I do not believe I deserved to be banished from it; for I assure myself that it is not Sweden's intention that such an outrage be done to me. I beg you to thank the King for having wanted to assure me by such authentic testimony of the glory that I have of being esteemed in Sweden. It is wrong to be jealous of it, and I hope that my absence will cure people of the panicked terrors that my presence has given them. You can assure the King that making my glory of the love of Sweden, I will do my best not to make myself unworthy of it, and that whatever bothersome thing you can tell me on his behalf will not prevent me from preserving my friendship for him, nor from loving Sweden and its interests with tenderness unto death."

This is all the detail of what happened in Hamburg the evening before I left there, and I hold for false all that will be found contrary to what this report contains.

P. S.
The letter which I wrote to the King of Sweden was conceived with the same sentiments, and I disavow any other sinister explanation.

Swedish translation of the original (my own):

Förhållande till vad som hände i ämnet av Kleihes kommission.
Kleihe anlände till Hamburg dagen innan jag reste; han presenterades för mig sedan han hade meddelat mig att han hade befallning och uppdrag att tala med mig från Konungen, hans herre. Han förföljde mig länge och använde många meningslösa ord för att övertyga mig om att jag inte skulle gå till Sverige, och berättade att Konungen hans herre hade starka överväganden som tvingade honom att hindra mig från att komma in i riket under sin minoritet, och att han hade skickat honom att tillkännage för mig den resolution han tagit i denna fråga. Ty då han såg Sveriges kärlek, aktning och allmängiltiga tillgivenhet mot min person, kände han sig skyldig att i god politik frukta en drottning, som var formidabel för honom, eftersom hon ännu för närvarande ägde hans undersåtars hjärtan. Han erbjöd mig dessutom, på vägnar av Konungen sin herre, alla de erövrade provinserna, att välja en sådan plats som jag tyckte om för mitt residens, och försäkrade mig om att hans avsikt var att få mig att återlämna den heder och respekt som jag tillkommer. — Det här är ungefär innehållet i hans harang, som han inte skulle våga förneka om han var den siste människan på jorden.

Jag svarade honom: »Ni skall för min räkning säga till Konungen, Er herre, att jag imorgon åker till Rom, att jag inte har tänkt på att resa till Sverige, men att jag inte tror att jag förtjänar att bli förvisad därifrån. Ty jag försäkrar mig själv att det inte är Sveriges avsikt att en sådan upprördhet skall göras mot mig. Jag ber Er tacka Konungen för att han genom ett sådant autentiskt vittnesbörd ville försäkra mig om den ära jag har att vara aktad i Sverige. Det är fel att vara avundsjuk på det; och jag hoppas att min frånvaro kommer att bota människor från de panikslagna skräck min närvaro har givit dem. Ni kan försäkra Konungen att, när jag gör min ära av kärleken till Sverige, kommer jag att göra mitt bästa för att inte göra mig själv ovärdig därtill, och att allt det olyckliga Ni har kommit att säga mig från hans sida inte kommer att hindra mig från att för honom bevara min vänskap, inte heller från att älska Sverige och dess intressen med ömhet in i döden.«

Här är alla detaljer om vad som hände i Hamburg kvällen innan jag reste, och jag hävdar att allt som kommer att visa sig vara motstridigt eller annorlunda än vad denna redogörelse innehåller är falskt.
Rom, den 23 februari 1669.

P. S. — Brevet jag skrev till Sveriges konung var tänkt med samma känslor, och jag förnekar all annan olycklig förklaring.
Kristina Alexandra.
M. Santini.

English translation of the original (my own):

Relation of what happened on the subject of Kleihe's commission.
Kleihe arrived in Hamburg the day before I left; he was introduced to me after he had informed me that he had orders and commissions to speak to me from the King, his master. He harangued me at length and used many useless words to persuade me that I should not go to Sweden, telling me that the King his master had strong considerations which obliged him to prevent me from entering the kingdom during his minority, and that he had sent him to declare to me the resolution he had taken on this subject. For, seeing the love, esteem and universal affection of Sweden towards my person, he felt obliged, in good politics, to fear a queen who was formidable to him, since she still at present possessed the hearts of his subjects. He offered me, moreover, on behalf of the King his master, all the conquered provinces, to choose such a place as I liked for my residence, assuring me that his intention was to make me return the honours and respects due to me. — That is roughly the content of his harangue, which he would not dare deny if he were the last man on earth.

I answered him: "You will tell the King your master, on my behalf, that I am leaving tomorrow for Rome, that I have not thought of going to Sweden, but that I do not believe that I deserve to be banished from there, because I assure myself that it is not Sweden's intention that such an outrage be done to me. I beg you to thank the King for having wished to assure me, by such authentic testimony, of the glory I have of being esteemed in Sweden. It is wrong to be jealous of it; and I hope my absence will cure people of the panicked terrors my presence has given them. You can assure the King that, making my glory of the love of Sweden, I will do my best not to make myself unworthy of it, and that all the unfortunate things you have come to say to me on his part will not prevent me from preserving for him my friendship, nor from loving Sweden and its interests with tenderness unto death."

Here is all the detail of what happened in Hamburg the evening before I left, and I maintain that everything that will be found to be contrary or different from what this account contains is false.
Rome, February 23, 1669.

P. S. — The letter I wrote to the King of Sweden was conceived with the same sentiments, and I disavow any other sinister explanation.
Kristina Alexandra.
M. Santini.


Above: Kristina.

Note: "This story is highly doubtful. The serenity and calm of her language are hardly compatible with the Queen's character. According to the communications made later by the regents to the Senate of Sweden, Kristina is supposed to have, on the contrary, violently interrupted Kleihe without wanting to listen to him and would have overwhelmed the regency and the unfortunate envoy with 'unseemly expressions'. Soon afterwards, however, she is supposed to have repented and to have allowed Kleihe to hand her the regents' message in writing, which, however, is not supposed to have prevented her from continuing her violent language."

No comments:

Post a Comment