Monday, July 11, 2022

Kristina's letter to Claude Vaussin, Father General of the Cistercian Order, year 1669

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 391, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Mon très-Révérend. Je suis si satisfaite du service que me rend le Pére Antoine Michel Hacki, Abbé de Colbarz de votre Ordre, dans ma Chapelle de Hambourg depuis plusieurs années, que je me crois obligée de vous demander pour lui la confirmation du consentement qu'il avoit eu du Pére-Général votre prédécesseur, de me servir autant de tems qu'il me plaîroit en ce Ministére. Je vous prie de ne me le pas refuser, vous assurant que vous rendrez en cela un service très-important à Dieu & à son Eglise, & que je vous en témoignerai ma reconnoissance dans les occasions.

Swedish translation (my own):

Min Vördade Fader,
Jag är så nöjd med den tjänst som fadern Antoni Michał Hacki, abbot av Kołbacz, av Er orden, i mitt kapell i Hamburg under flera år, utfört åt mig, att jag känner mig skyldig att bedja Er om bekräftelse på det samtycke han hade från generalfadern, Er föregångare, att tjäna mig så länge jag vill i denna tjänst. Jag bedjer Er att inte vägra mig det, och försäkra Er om att Ni i detta kommer att göra en mycket viktig tjänst åt Gud och hans Kyrka, och att jag kommer att betyga för Er om min tacksamhet för det vid alla tillfällen.

English translation (my own):

My Most Reverend Father,
I am so satisfied with the service rendered to me by Father Antoni Michał Hacki, Abbot of Kołbacz, of your Order, in my chapel in Hamburg for several years, that I feel obliged to ask you for confirmation of the consent he had from the Father General, your predecessor, to serve me for as much time as I please in this ministry. I beg you to not refuse it to me, assuring you that in this you will render a very important service to God and to His Church, and that I will testify to you my gratitude for it on all occasions.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Father Michał Antoni Hacki.


Above: Claude Vaussin, Father General of the Cistercian Order.

No comments:

Post a Comment